+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TLC's top-rated 'Trading Spaces' to get its own format redo

TLC's top-rated 'Trading Spaces' to get its own format redo

TLC's top-rated 'Trading Spaces' to get its own format redo

By GAIL SHISTER
    Knight Ridder Tribune News

Trading Spaces will undergo an extreme makeover this fall.

Second-quarter ratings for TLC's most popular show hosted by cutie Paige Davis and produced by Banyan Productions have plunged 50 percent from the same period a year ago.

Because of that, Spaces' format will "evolve" when Season 5 launches in October, says Roger Marmet, TLC's executive vice president and general manager.

"We're loosening the very tight format. We want to make the viewing experience less predictable and more spontaneous. Several of the elements will be new and different to the audience."

No details (for competition reasons), but Marmet says he'll incorporate more behind-the-scenes peeks into the design process.

The basic Spaces structure "that people know and are passionate about" will not change: Two sets of neighbors design a room in each other's house over two days, using a designer, a carpenter, and a $1,000 budget.

On-air talent stays put, too.

"We're keeping the heart of the format. Spaces is still our highest-rated show. We're not looking to throw out the baby with the bath water."

Spaces, which airs at 8 p.m. Saturdays, this season is averaging more than 12 million viewers per week, counting more than 10 airings. Sixty original episodes run until September.

Is Spaces overexposed?

"We've given the audience what they were looking for more opportunities to see the show," Marmet says. "It's still very strong. We're not looking to cut back."

As usual with television, the success of Spaces has spawned a host of imitators. On TLC, there's Trading Spaces: Family, hosted by Joe Farrell, as well as Clean Sweep and While You Were Out. Broadcast-wise, there's ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, among others.
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...atures/2658112

I hope part of the changes involves getting rid of the need for controversial designs like those done by Hildi and Doug this year. I've seriously stopped watching mainly because the redos aren't about creating beautiful rooms anymore.

I'd rather see a show that gives me something that I'd like to incorporate into my own room.

I agree Broadway.
    Hildi uses controversial methods tocover for her lack of talent and I just despise Doug's attitude toward the show and the homeowners.

I think they have too many new designers too.
    I don't mind Christie, but she's on the show so often that I soon got fed up with her.
    That blonde, Laura I think her name is, is a flat out bitch. Just so unpleasant.

Bring back Vern, I say.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Clean Sweep and While You Were Out are imitations of TS? In what universe??! They both in volve just one family and more than one room in CS's case, WYWO involves doing a theme that the spouse will enjoy, not making a mockery of decorating ala Hildi.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I think they have too many new designers too.
    I don't mind Christie, but she's on the show so often that I soon got fed up with her.
    That blonde, Laura I think her name is, is a flat out bitch. Just so unpleasant.
    So not a fan of Laura! I don't like her attitude or her style.

It would appear that they've gotten rid of Rick Reikl (sp?) as I havent seen any new shows with him in awhile. He was absolutely horrible with all of the tacky wild colors and odd use of items. I cannot believe he painted someone's crystal candlesticks (a gaudy royal blue, IIRC.)

Barry has some decent moments.. but his rooms just seem tacky as well.

I do like the new girl, Kat. The few shows of hers that I've seen have been tasteful.

I really like Barry, not his yucky designs, just him.
    He reminds me somuch of Tom Cruise, the smilke is uncanny and although I've never been attracted to Tom Cruise I am attracted to Barry.
    Makes no sense really
    I agree re Kat.
    I've only seen her a couple of times but have liked both the rooms.
    Rick was dreadful.
    What he did to that dining room (with the green walls and orange fabric) was criminal.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I had stopped watching Trading Space since the third season. It got kind of boring, IMO. They couldn't make me watch it again even with all these new designers and carpenters. I just lost my desire to watch the show.

I wish Vern was still working for Trading Space. He was the best designer on the show. At least I will be able to watch him do some designs in his new show with NBC.

I agree with Fluff and Broadway- who wants to see a home messed up with fake plastic flowers stapled to a wall? I want to see ordinary space transformed into something beautiful and useful.

I wonder how much the victims have to pay to disguise the handiworks of Hildi & Rick?

Quote Originally Posted by Elle
    I wish Vern was still working for Trading Space. He was the best designer on the show. At least I will be able to watch him do some designs in his new show with NBC.
    He was my favorite also! Thanks for heads up on his new show!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl
    He was my favorite also! Thanks for heads up on his new show!
    Glad I could help.

Designer Vern Yip won't. Much as Trading carpenter Ty Pennington traded up for a broadcast network gig with ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Yip has nailed a deal with NBC to host a show called Design Intervention.
    http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14437,00.html
    Last edited by Elle; 07-03-2004 at 12:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast