+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The WB's "Studio 7," a reality/quiz show

The WB's "Studio 7," a reality/quiz show

NYPOST:

July 1, 2004 -- NY1's "In the Papers" anchor Pat Kiernan is be coming a game-show host.
    Kiernan will host The WB's "Studio 7," a reality/quiz show created by "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" mastermind Michael Davies. It premieres July 22 on Ch. 11.

On the show, seven "articulate, intelligent young people" spend four days living together in a midtown Manhattan loft before they have to vote each other off the quiz part of the show.

"The quiz has elements of reality, contemporary knowledge and memorization skills," Davies told The Post.

The last contestant standing each week takes home $77,000.

Kiernan will keep his NY1 gig while hosting "Studio 7." Michael Starr
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/24139.htm

only 77K??? and voted off every four days??? So almost a month for $77,000. wow that doesn't seem much compared to the other reality shows

Shedding Some Light On Studio 7

NYPOST:

July 22, 2004 -- 'Studio 7" could be a lot more fun if it weren't so gloomy.
    This new quiz show on the WB is so poorly lit, it's as if the producers were trying to save money on electricity.

Half the set is cast in shadow, along with the faces of the seven young contestants and the show's host, Pat Kiernan of NY1.

The "Dark Shadows" look of "Studio 7" contributes to a sense of joylessness that would seem anathema to the concept of a TV game show.

Not only does the show look as if somebody forgot to turn on the lights, but the contestants and studio audience are surprisingly laidback for a show whose grand prize each week is a whopping $77,000.

The show's shortcomings are a shame because a summer quiz show aimed at 18- to 25-year-olds is a good idea, especially one that actually asks semi-challenging questions.

On "Studio 7," the contestants field questions that test their knowledge of current events and popular culture.

This isn't "Jeopardy," folks, but neither is it Jay Leno's "Jaywalking," where the pedestrians Leno encounters in L.A. cannot even identify President Bush when shown his picture.

In addition, too much effort has been made to style "Studio 7" as a game-show, reality-show hybrid with the contestants living together for a week in a New York apartment, where they bicker and form predictable alliances.

"Studio 7" should focus squarely on the game. And it wouldn't hurt to turn up the lights either.
    2/4 Stars
    http://nypost.com/tv/18094.htm

You win $77,000 a week and then the grand prize for the winners of each week is $777,000

Hey, this is on now. Hardly heard anything at all on this.

Boy the host really has a monotone.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Boy the host really has a monotone.

So far I am really liking this show.

Some of the dynamics of this show are a bit vague. We have implications about the reality "living together" portion but so far don't really see it. We know about "alliances" but don't yet know how they form.

Plus they need a host with some energy.

Hey, this guy hates Amy. 'Cause she's a Yalie.

Oh, I see they get to vote if they answered a question right, I think. I think. The rules are very badly explained. And the "reality interview" part seems like they are answering from the bottom of a well or something.

Here is what the show's studio looks like.

The host is a little smarmy. I like the fact that the questions are recent.

Yes, the set is very "Millionaire-ish", with it's lighting. And "pods"? Ewww.

Really, I'm still looking for better explanations of what the heck the rules are, and how the reality-portion works.

The questions are actually almost "smart-people" questions though, that's good. Although they are too consistently modern. We need some history too, guys. Not completely, but at least SOME.

Also, what's the deal with the ring removal and tossing? What the hell? As far as I can figure, if they HAVE TO ask for help, they toss the ring. Somehow that puts them up for potential elimination I guess. Or is it if they FAIL the question? It's not clear. Why toss the ring in? What does it mean? Does it give you some power if you still have a ring?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast