+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: True Life: I'm Obese

True Life: I'm Obese

NYPOST:

July 1, 2004 -- I used to call it a guilty pleasure. Now, I just call it a pleasure.
    I'm talking about MTV's fantastic documentary series, "True Life," which has produced shows that have left me gasping ("True Life: I'm Adopted"), weeping ("I'm Coming Out") and weeping with laughter ("I'm Getting Married").

Tonight's new doc, "I'm Obese" left me not only shocked, but determined never to eat again. Is there such a thing as a chastity belt for your appetite? I want one.

The show features three young people — from 17 to 27 — or more precisely from 215 pounds to 615 pounds.

While the show could have been exploitive —let's face it, it's not everyday you see a 615-pound woman in a sports bra — it's actually not. Instead it's quite insightful.

While you might not find the answer to why we've become a country where 15 percent of kids ages 6 to 19 are obese, and (by some estimates) 50 percent of the population is overweight, you will find out how it may have happened.

For instance, 615-pound Amy — who is married to a man who is also obese but looks relatively normal next to her — is so fat that she needs a wheelchair. When she and her husband go out to dinner and she overhears a comment about her weight, she begins to cry.

"My life has been taken away by my weight," she sobs.

No! Your life has been taken away by your refusal to stop stuffing yourself with three pizzas at a time, lady.

Then there's Corey, a 5-foot-6, 400-pound high school student who has no desire to stop stuffing himself. He assumes that gastric by-pass surgery will solve all his problems.

He says at one point, "I feel like I am imprisoned by my obesity." Then, "I only have an hour for lunch, so I try to get down as much as I can."

Watching his long-suffering mom, whose heart is broken by his flat-out refusal to diet, is wrenching.

Then there's Frances, who at 215 pounds is thrilled with herself. No, she hasn't lost 100 pounds and became happy with the results. She's happy to be fat.

In fact, she's passionate about her body, going to modeling auditions even when the ad doesn't call for plus-sized models.

As she points out, "It's hard being a diva — but somebody's got to do it!"

3/4 stars
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/24134.htm

Ugh-I don't understand how people let stuff like this happen to them. It is absolutely disgusting. I know people do not become obese with the intention to harm themselves and look just plain disgusting...but still-responsibility lies 100% with them.

I know a woman now who is no taller than 4"11 and she weighs almost 300 lbs. On top of it, she eat pizza, double cheeseburgers-everything basically and it's so annoying and repulsive to see her like that and continuing to put on weight. Have some respect for yourself, I feel like telling her, and go on a freakin diet and just do it. Have some discipline lady for God's sake.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

I saw the previews for this on ET. I just HAFTA watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kaos
    Ugh-I don't understand how people let stuff like this happen to them. It is absolutely disgusting. I know people do not become obese with the intention to harm themselves and look just plain disgusting...but still-responsibility lies 100% with them.

I know a woman now who is no taller than 4"11 and she weighs almost 300 lbs. On top of it, she eat pizza, double cheeseburgers-everything basically and it's so annoying and repulsive to see her like that and continuing to put on weight. Have some respect for yourself, I feel like telling her, and go on a freakin diet and just do it. Have some discipline lady for God's sake.
    Well, Sometimes people can't help it. Some people are just big-boned.

Fort Member
    I know there are lots of reasons for being overwieght (health problems and emotional problems to name a couple) but at what stage do you decide its a problem and ask for help. 615 pounds is just crazy. Surely at 400 pounds an intervention of some sort might have helped. I often wonder if the people around them help at all or just enable it, maybe his mum should stop feeding him. I guess I dont understand because I'v never been there. These documentaries sound great we have MTV but I have never seen these shows advertsied. As we tend to get things 6 to 12 months after the rest of the world I'll have to watch out for them.

i'll have to tivo this

people can genetically be prone to gaining weight the same way some people can eat nonstop and not gain an ounce; but...

615 lbs. 400 lbs. is rediculous ...weight like this just don't sneak up on you overnight, and i blame the individuals bad choices

i know some people that have money, are grossly overweight and eat garbage everyday so they can't blame economic conditions, they have the means to buy better foods or hire a personal trainer

this high schooler mentioned complaining about only having an hour to scarf food down is rediculous
    Last edited by Dogg; 07-01-2004 at 10:47 PM.

Being a person who is very light, and is 5 times lighter than some of these people, I am sickened. I could not even picture myself that heavy and I think it is because of personal choices.

Amy got heavy due to the fact that she was depressed and ate. Goodness, I think everybody does that, must she must have had a LOT of food. I was glad that she was able to get the surgery.

Corey sickened me on how he thought gastric by-pass surgery would solve all of his problems. He just kept eating and eating, think it will go away because of the surgery. I really felt for his mother who tried hard to get him to lose weight. When he said he needed more than an hour I almost had a heart attack being someone where it takes 10 minutes or less to eat.

I personally felt Frances was a breath of fresh air during the show. She was happy the way she was, and just had confidence. I was happy at the end when they said she got a print ad. Good for her! I found it funny when you saw her and her boyfriend at the most unromantic resturant ever.
    All in all I found the show very good.

Amy's husband sure does put up with alot doesn't he? I have a feeling Amy gets hefty disability checks due to her condition. They had a brand spankin' new truck I noticed.I can't imagine getting 'winded' just from walking from the bedroom to the livingroom, but I guess she's on her way to losing the pounds now.

Corey disgusted me because he doesn't even TRY to cut back, not even a little bit. He ate more food at that buffet than I eat in a week. He ought to have enough sense to stay away from buffets & McDonalds. I just don't understand why he wouldn't want to at least TRY on his own a little & incorporate some exercise, who knows, if he did that he may find he doesn't NEED gastric bypass surgery.

It seems like many obese people are looking to the surgery option, a 'quick fix', now to solve all their weight issues, when I thought that gastric bypass was supposed to be an absolute LAST RESORT for people who are physically unable to shed the pounds.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I'll be watching this in 1/2 hour.

I have a feeling Amy gets hefty disabilit[y checks due to her condition. They had a brand spankin' new truck I noticed.
    You can collect disability because you're obese? I didn't know that. I had to jump through hoops for 6 months to collect disability, and I'm blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    I'll be watching this in 1/2 hour.

You can collect disability because you're obese? I didn't know that. I had to jump through hoops for 6 months to collect disability, and I'm blind.
    Not only because she's obese, but she had a condition that caused her legs to retain tons of fluids, the name of her condition escapes me right now. But yeah, she could get disability easy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast