+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: True Life: I'm Obese

I understand the sickness BUT why wait till someones 600 POUNDS to get the person some help? Why NOW?!??! The persons nearly dead and a heart attack away. Too little, too late IMO. Again why NOW?!?!? They didn't get like this overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    I also have a problem with people making fun of overweight people. I'm not obese myself (I'm a female, 5'7 and about 130 lbs), but I wouldn't imagine saying such terrible things about someone for how they look. It's not right.
    I wouldn't say anything either BUT it does make me sick to see SOME of them eating all of this fatty food (like the young guy) and not at least TRYING to eat healthy. The bad food is a part (not all) of whats making you gain weight.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Hefty disability checks? If you call $564.00 a month hefty you're easy to please. That's how much someone with a disability gets in Texas unless they have extensive work history. That wouldn't begin to make a mortgage payment, let alone buy a new truck, pay utilities etc. Throw food stamps into the mix, which most persons with disabilities get, and you score an additional $40 to $70 a month. Be still my heart!
    Dinah -- I'm 43 and collect soscial/security (I became blind due to an illness), ,and my checks are $1,313. If I'm not mistaken, the amount you collect is based on what you've paid into the system. Thankfully, I made good money and never "cheated" the system.

The other thing is social security/disability is FEDERALLY funded, so I'm not sure why the state of Texas only pays $564.

Quote Originally Posted by Exposed
    I understand the sickness BUT why wait till someones 600 POUNDS to get the person some help? Why NOW?!??! The persons nearly dead and a heart attack away. Too little, too late IMO. Again why NOW?!?!? They didn't get like this overnight.
    I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. There's a world of difference between dead and nearly dead. As long as the person still has life, they can improve themselves. The thought that they should just give up, that it's "too little too late" is so ridiculous that I don't even know how to wrap my mind around it.

That 600 lb. person could, in time, be a healthy and vital member of society. Yet by your standards, they should just inject themselves with a syringe full of bleach and be done with it. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. There's a world of difference between dead and nearly dead. As long as the person still has life, they can improve themselves. The thought that they should just give up, that it's "too little too late" is so ridiculous that I don't even know how to wrap my mind around it.

That 600 lb. person could, in time, be a healthy and vital member of society. Yet by your standards, they should just inject themselves with a syringe full of bleach and be done with it. Bizarre.
    Adding onto that, there was once a woman over 1,100 pounds. She was the heaviest woman according to the book of world records. After doing simple excercises she broke another record by loosing the most weight of anybody. I think she went down to around 300 or lower. That shows me it is never too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Exposed
    I read her bio on her website someone gave a link to above, and it did actually come on very rapidly, considering she gained 300 pounds in 3 years. Much of that was lymphema, for which there is no cure, and for many sufferers, no diagnosis either. It would have been better that she found help sooner, but with no health insurance, I think she did the best she could with the hand she was dealt.

MalibuPam, thanks for clearing up that (Amy?) has a disease that contributes to her obesity. Maybe some people will realize that before they are quick to condemn them for every mouthful of food they intake that there's an additional reason for their condition in a lot of cases.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I was channel surfing last night and actually caught the last half of the show. I love I think her name is Frances the plus size model. Her attitude and self confidence is just wonderful. Even one of the promoter of the fashion show said that was why she was called back. Good luck to you.

Corey - the 17 yr old high school kid. Attitude. His answer to his problems is surgery he is not listening to anything else. I liked his mother and he needs to be nicer to her. Usually, weight loss surgery is supposed to be your last resort. After checking out Amy's web site and some of the rules that people have to follow I don't think Corey will be able to do it. Eating slowly, and chewing and chewing and chewing more. And No sugar. After seeing him scarf down food this kid will have problems and probably stretch his little pouch and be right back where he started.

Maybe its because he young and self centered. Hope there is some followup so we can see what happened to him.

I checked out Amy's web site and read up on her lymphedema (sp?). At first the pictures are very hard to take, but I have to give her credit for doing her research and finding out about her problem and fighting the medical bureaucracy to get the treatment she needed. I saw a similar show on Maury Povich not more than 2 weeks ago. Its amazing that this condition can add 2 to 3 hundred pounds of weight on to your body in such a short time.

As a sidebar I have to commend her husband in doing the cooking and taking care of her but when I saw all the oil that he put in that pan to fry/cook the chicken I almost choked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    Dinah -- I'm 43 and collect soscial/security (I became blind due to an illness), ,and my checks are $1,313. If I'm not mistaken, the amount you collect is based on what you've paid into the system. Thankfully, I made good money and never "cheated" the system.

The other thing is social security/disability is FEDERALLY funded, so I'm not sure why the state of Texas only pays $564.
    Social Security is federally funded, and the amount you get is based upon your wages and the number of years you work. Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, is a state funded grant of $564.00 per month for those folks that did not have enough work history, wages etc to get a Social Security Disability check, or get a Social Security check of less than $584.00 ($564.00 + 20.00, the first $20.00 being exempt income).

Many people are disabled from birth or become disabled at an early age so they are never able to work, thus never able to make enough money to receive RSDI, or Social Security. That's when SSI steps in to give them the money. There is a cost of living adjustment each year, the same as for RSDI, and the current monthly amount in the state of Texas is $564.00. All states have some form of SSI, but the grant amounts may differ from state to state. Being that Texas is # 48 in the union as far as providing for the elderly/disabled/poor the grants are probably higher in your homestate. The grants are handled through Social Security Administration.

I'm not sure how you would cheat the system since you have to be working and paying in FICA in order for your wages to be reported to SSA.

And there you have it. More than you probably ever want (or need) to know
    about Social Security.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

FORT Newbie

What's that song??!!

I desperately hope someone reads this and can give me a hand. I'm trying to identify the song playing in the background at approximately 41 minutes into the documentary (when the largest of the three subjects is about to go under the knife). It's a hip-hop song that came out in the Summer of '01 (I think) and although I can easily recognize it, the only thing I can describe about it is that it's a flute-riff looped over and over. I've searched MTV's website for a link to the show's credits and came up empty-handed. Anyone?

Many thanks

+ Reply to Thread