+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: True Life: I'm Obese

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleBunny
    I felt really bad for Amy and I wish her the best. Does anyone know her website? If so, could you post the address?

OK, just wanted to get permission, I wasn't sure about the links policy. This is her site.

http://www.amylhwilliams.com/

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

I didn't see this show fortunately, and I don't think I want to. Many good observations have been made, however, I just want to reiterate a few of them:

Hefty disability checks? If you call $564.00 a month hefty you're easy to please. That's how much someone with a disability gets in Texas unless they have extensive work history. That wouldn't begin to make a mortgage payment, let alone buy a new truck, pay utilities etc. Throw food stamps into the mix, which most persons with disabilities get, and you score an additional $40 to $70 a month. Be still my heart!

What I'm continually struck by is how it STILL seems to be okay to make moral judgments about obese persons. While one wouldn't dream of making a racial remark or commenting on sexual orientation or laughing at someone with a mental disability, fat people are still "fair game". . It doesn't really matter WHY they're obese, it's their body and their lifestyle.

I would imagine that everyone has an area of life that needs improvement. I think it's sometimes easier (but unfair) to compare ourselves with others so we feel better about our own shortcomings.

I'm a large woman myself. I have always been large. There are times when I've been bigger that others, and I'm probably bigger now than I've ever been in my life. My body seems to have a natural stasis that it's comfortable at, and no matter how many times I diet the weight just seems to creep back up. I am fortunate in that even though I'm big, I have an hourglass shape in an Anna Nicole pre-weight-loss sort of way. And I'm comfortable with that, and with the attention I receive (positive) about my looks. My point is that we're all different colors, shapes and sizes. I just wish people as a whole were more tolerant.

Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Feifer
    Sounds to me like that lady is feeding her child to an early grave. Babies know when they are full and stop eating. Children who are not overfed do as well.
    Most children know, but I can tell you one who doesn't. My daughter. She's five, and at the top of the charts. Right now, she just looks like a big sturdy girl, but all the other 5 year olds are skinny sticks at this age. Her BMI puts her at overweight and at risk for obesity. None of my other children are like this. She loves food, all food. She tries new things whenever she can. She digs through the refrigerator for leftovers. She's excited to try things at restaurants. When other children say yuck, she says yum. This is my 4th child and I've never pushed food on any of them; I'm very easy going about it. I'm afraid for the direction she's headed. She even tells me sometimes that she's eaten too much and needs to throw up. Whoah! I tell her she does not, go lay down for a while, and you must listen to your body to know when to stop eating.

She's a very muscular, active girl, and she's quite tall for her age, but she's still taking in more than she needs. She has some pudge around the tummy. I hate to start worrying about weight at such a young age, especially when I have 4 children to feed and 3 of them are skinny. I see this is something we'll really have to stay on top off.
    Last edited by MalibuPam; 07-03-2004 at 12:43 PM.

This has been a very heartwarming thread to read. So many good people here.

Just wanted to say what a boring world it would be if we were all the same size, shape, and color. My husband is a larger man, and I LOVE IT! I wouldn't like it if he was thin, tall and lanky. What attracts me is shorter, stockier and beefy. You sure don't see a lot of "George Costanza" type sex symbols, though. Funny. Same goes with men and the women they lust for. It's sad that Hollywood perpetuates such a myth. Wish they'd show more of a variety. I can't look through a women's magazine without feeling like crap about myself, and I'm 5'7" 135-140. I look like a glob of goo compared to those women. I have to remind myself that most of those women are only like 5% of the population with those body shapes, or they don't eat, or they're airbrushed, etc. I think Jessica Simpson's curvey body is much, much more beautiful and attractive than Paris Hilton's. Paris looks sickly and like she'd break in two if you hugged her. To each his own, though.

About the True Life: I'm Obese show ... It was admittedly hard to look at Amy. It looks so uncomfortable and frustrating. I wish her all the luck in the world with her recovery from her surgery. She's definitely a perfect candidate. What a loving husband she has! I LOVED Frances's attitude and wish I could feel as positive as she does. More power to her! She'll go far. Corey makes me sad, and I don't see the surgery being very successful, given his attitude towards food. Poor kid.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley
    Actually, people on disability do not get "hefty" checks. The amount is barely enough to get by on.

Not true. I know someone who just started receiveing disability.
    They live VERY VERY good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Hefty disability checks? If you call $564.00 a month hefty you're easy to please. That's how much someone with a disability gets in Texas unless they have extensive work history. That wouldn't begin to make a mortgage payment, let alone buy a new truck, pay utilities etc. Throw food stamps into the mix, which most persons with disabilities get, and you score an additional $40 to $70 a month. Be still my heart!
    I don't know the amount of disability Amy was getting. I just couldn't think of any other reason her husband would put up with her other than the big money rolling in off of her checks...
    The amounts vary depending on the actual disability. I know someone who receives disability now, for a very legitimate reason, cancer surgery, and his checks are large. Way way more than $564.00.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm
    Not true. I know someone who just started receiveing disability.
    They live VERY VERY good now.
    It depends on if the person had a long work history. If the person has worked since age 16 and is now 55 and disabled, they would get a larger check than a person who is 27 (Amy) and has only worked here and there. I don't know Amy's work history, but judging from her condition, she probably hasn't worked much, if at all. She isn't getting a "hefty" check.

The amount of disability you get depends upon several things. It does not depend upon the severity of your illness, unless it is a worker compensation injury, in which case it is scored by how much you are expected to recover.
    For social security disability the amount you receive depends upon how many years you have worked and how much your wages are.

You may have a long term disability insurance policy, in which case you will draw a separate check.

I disburse grants for the disabled to help with architectural renovations and medication costs, and one of the points of eligibility is income. I have never seen anyone receive a disability check from the government for more than, say, $1400.00 per month, and that is rare. And most people that have a chronic illness, which I imagine obesity would be, have a sporadic work history, and so 1. would not receive much in social security disability and 2. not be likely to have a long term disability insurance policy.

I'm sure I am somewhat biased, because the only income I verify is from persons that apply for the grants, but if you look at the statement that you are sent from the SSA each year around your birthday you will see how much you can get if you suddenly become disabled. I've been working since I was 14- 32 years- and I certainly won't be well off if I become disabled.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

It is on right now, if anyone didn't catch it.

Premium Member
    Again, according to Amy's site, she is not getting disability, she works from home via computer. She has a laptop on the show, for those who have seen it. In fact, her husband was the one on disability at some point around the time of filming, for some kind of foot injury/surgery.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

+ Reply to Thread