+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: True Life: I'm Obese

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Texie -- they didn't mention if they had any predispositions. It was a very sad show.

Texicana, no, I don't think all of them had medical excuses.

Even the woman who was over 500 pounds with the joint swelling or whatever was over 300 pounds in high school.

Premium Member
    I'm still not entirely sure about Amy's situation but I don't think they mentioned any medical reason for Corey or the other girl.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

Well, I don't think Mtv will ever win any awards for television jounalism, but it would have been nice if they had taken a wider look at the reasons for obesity.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE

Corey sickened me on how he thought gastric by-pass surgery would solve all of his problems. He just kept eating and eating, think it will go away because of the surgery. I really felt for his mother who tried hard to get him to lose weight. When he said he needed more than an hour I almost had a heart attack being someone where it takes 10 minutes or less to eat.

I personally felt Frances was a breath of fresh air during the show. She was happy the way she was, and just had confidence. I was happy at the end when they said she got a print ad. Good for her!
    I totally agree with ya on these points AIW. Corey is so dependent on getting the surgery that I was getting way frustrated with him! It's more than just the surgery, it's a complete change in your life, which he apparently isn't ready or willing to make. Frances was just incredible! She showed a lot of guts and gusto being the only plus sized woman to show up at the casting call (where if I'd have been in her shoes, I'd have turned around once I saw all the other people there being so much more "model-esque"). I'm very close to her size and don't have a quarter of the confidence that she does, a big ol YOU GO GIRL goes out to her from me, she was actually very inspiring for being happy in your own skin.
    Last edited by libra1022; 07-02-2004 at 10:48 PM.

I felt really bad for Amy and I wish her the best. Does anyone know her website? If so, could you post the address? I'm kind of mixed about Corey. I feel bad for him and all, but unlike Amy, it's his own fault he's so big and I doubt he'll get approval for the surgery. I'm not a plus size and I'm not half as confident as Frances. I hope she has a successful modeling career.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm
    A close family friend of ours had gastric bypass surgery. She has gone from a size 28 to a size 4 in one year. For breakfast: she has HALF of a piece of toast. For lunch:3 grapes, for dinner: 1 cup of lettuce & 1/2 cup of chicken breast. If she eats any more than that in the LEAST bit, she will get violently ill. She also cannot eat anything sweet or greasy or fatty or it will end up comming back up. This will go on for the rest of her life & she is 36 years old.

Wow I don't even know what to say. I love cooking so much (and it really isn't that hard to do it low fat), and I do enjoy eating more than 4 foods.... I can't imagine.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but is that really healthier than being overweight, I wonder?

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm
    I have a feeling Amy gets hefty disability checks
    Actually, people on disability do not get "hefty" checks. The amount is barely enough to get by on.

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    Sorry to ask a stupid question, but is that really healthier than being overweight, I wonder?
    I wouldn't think; although surely the surgery has improved in the past 15 years, my sister and a friend of ours both weighed over 300 pounds and had this surgery about 15 years ago. Both lost down to about 140 lbs- about right considering one is 5-9 and the other about 5-10. Both of them were constantly vomiting at the least bit of food with too much seasoning, grease or whatever. Both of them ended up getting their gall bladders removed after having chronic severe pain caused by gall bladder attacks. Our friend regained nearly all her weight; then lost most of it again; but she passed away anyway five years ago. My sister gained back to over 200, over the course of ten years, but she's back below 200 now. But, most foods still make her sick; even coffee, chicken, raw veggies etc. She can keep down things with lots of refined sugar, which is easily digested, but of course that's very dangerous as far as causing weight gain. She has lost quite a few of her teeth ; extensive dental work can't save teeth from the constant acid reflux and nearly daily vomiting. So, there's that embarrassment, and the expense of getting them repaired.
    I think that kid on the show had better be very careful; he's liable to rupture his stomach since he is so addicted to seeing how much he can eat. I'm thinking that a huge amount of counseling would be in order before any reputable surgeon would touch him.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I wanted to mix an observation with a question about my sister's friend. How much does forcefeeding an infant play into future attitude towards food? For some reason, her friend feels that her infant has to constantly be eating, so when he can't eat any more baby food, she'll puree it and add it to a bottle. The infant is now a 2 year old toddler and can polish off a large pizza. No kidding! Will the toddler now feel that he has to eat everything before he can feel satisfied?
    Sounds to me like that lady is feeding her child to an early grave. Babies know when they are full and stop eating. Children who are not overfed do as well. As a rule, your stomach is the size of your fist. Tiny fists mean tiny bellies. Feeding a child to that excess is surely a form of child abuse bound to bring on lifelong illness and disability for the child. I imagine that he will have juvenile diabetes accompanied by kidney malfunction and possible heart disease. Pile that on top of the torment from other kids and teens throughout his life and surely he will be miserable if lives long enough. Sad, sad.

+ Reply to Thread