+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: True Life: I'm Obese

People become morbidly obese for as many different reasons as people become hooked on drugs, alcohol or cigarettes. Sometimes it's an addiction. Sometimes it's to become numb to problems in life. Sometimes it is a compulsion to eat that seems overwhelming and uncontrollable. Certain folks have addicive personalities and what they become addicted to sometimes kills them and certainly seems gross and bizarre.

Addictions do not make sense and they are not pretty. Who would want to be addicted to anything? I certainly do not want to be obsessed with food, but I have been most of my life. I weigh 338lbs and once weighed 372lbs. It blows my mind that I was nearly 400lbs. When I look in the mirror, I do not see myself that size. I guess it is similar to an anorexic/belemic seeing herself as fat. Distorted body image is one way people with eating disorders perpetuate their denial of the reality of health risk, but it's not necissarily intentional. I have always known I was heavy, but could not see myself as others do. I have always been active and relatively healthy. It was not until I was unable to walk that I considered my weight a health risk. Once I could walk again I started exercising 6 days a week and eating sensibly. I stuck to the plan and saw 20+lbs practically fall of. Then my weight loss stalled and even though I was working out and eating properly I was tired all of the time. All of the sudden I was gaining 2 lbs a week instead of losing it even though I was doing all of the right things. My thyroid gave out on me, but I would not know that for another year. So my weight climbed and I slept alot and nothing interested me, even food. I was probably eating less than ever cause I simply did not care.

Finally I found out about my thyroid and got on the right meds to correct the malfunction. Now, I am finally losing weight and I have a huge appetite for different foods again. I manage it knowing that the last bite will taste just the same as the first one so I eat less and still enjoy the foods I love.

The point of my rambling is that everyone has a story. Morbidly obese people have intelegent thoughts and a multitude of feelings beyond hunger. Maybe the next time you see a very large person you will consider that they are not that different from you.

I hope you can appreciate the tone in which I wrote this, as it was not intended to be preachy but light and informative.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    Amen, queenb. Obesity always seems to bring out the self-righteousness in people. Public accommodations aside, WTF do we care if someone else is fat?
    It's funny how obesity is still one of those things that is "okay" for people to make fun of in society.

The ignorant, insensitive comments from the people who were yelling insults on the show were far more disgusting and sickening to me than either of the 3 obese people.

Good luck Feifer, you can do it.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    FeeferPunkin
    I am so proud of you, M'Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg
    btw, jewelsy how blind are you?
    left eye: 20/1600 (5/400)
    right eye: 20/2200

legally blind is 20/200 (with correction/glasses)
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 07-02-2004 at 06:07 PM.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    It's funny how obesity is still one of those things that is "okay" for people to make fun of in society.

The ignorant, insensitive comments from the people who were yelling insults on the show were far more disgusting and sickening to me than either of the 3 obese people.

Good luck Feifer, you can do it.
    I couldn't agree with you more, Geeky.

That was pretty shocking to me...For those people to actually GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to yell "fat ass" at someone...I can't imagine ever doing that. Those people didn't even know him (i'm assuming)...... I kept thinking 'just leave the kid alone'.

Premium Member
    People can be extremely cruel to obese persons. I guess I might as well say, I was obese up until around my senior year of high school. School (and most of my life for that matter) was a real hellhole for me. I got called every name in the book, asked if I was pregnant, got threatened, and at the worst time of it all, got physically threatened by a group of male athletes who wanted to beat me up for being fat. :rolleyes I guess that's why I'm a little more sympathetic to the people on the show.

I lost it when I was truly ready to do so, though. Which is why I think Corey is going to fail. Even if he does get approved for the surgery, he clearly wasn't ready to take control and make lifestyle changes. From what I know of that surgery, you must watch what you eat very carefully or you'll get really sick. You can't keep eating nasty food, even in smaller amounts.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

From what I know of that surgery, you must watch what you eat very carefully or you'll get really sick. You can't keep eating nasty food, even in smaller amounts.
    A close family friend of ours had gastric bypass surgery. She has gone from a size 28 to a size 4 in one year. For breakfast: she has HALF of a piece of toast. For lunch:3 grapes, for dinner: 1 cup of lettuce & 1/2 cup of chicken breast. If she eats any more than that in the LEAST bit, she will get violently ill. She also cannot eat anything sweet or greasy or fatty or it will end up comming back up. This will go on for the rest of her life & she is 36 years old.

I'm already a little emotional today and now I read this. Can we have a group hug for Geekgirl and Feifer? I'm almost in tears reading this.

I hate when that kind of crap happens.

I wanted to mix an observation with a question about my sister's friend. How much does forcefeeding an infant play into future attitude towards food? For some reason, her friend feels that her infant has to constantly be eating, so when he can't eat any more baby food, she'll puree it and add it to a bottle. The infant is now a 2 year old toddler and can polish off a large pizza. No kidding! Will the toddler now feel that he has to eat everything before he can feel satisfied?
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I also have a problem with people making fun of overweight people. I'm not obese myself (I'm a female, 5'7 and about 130 lbs), but I wouldn't imagine saying such terrible things about someone for how they look. It's not right.

Speedy, I don't have kids, but I don't think your friend is setting up good eating habits for that child. I'm pretty sure that will only cause problems later on.

I didn't watch the Mtv show, but it seems to me they slanted their profiling a teeny bit? Did they pick people who have medical reasons for obesity? I guess I should be thankful that my thyroid problem doesn't cause me to gain any weight, just have a hell of time losing what I already have
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread