NYPOST:

June 30, 2004 -- REV. Al Sharpton can now add reality show host to his colorful resume.
Sharpton will be the host and star of Spike TV's "I Hate My Job," a new reality series, loosely based on NBC's "The Apprentice," in which he will serve as a career counselor to help "despondent" guys land their dream jobs.

"I'm the working man's Donald Trump," Sharpton told The Post yesterday.

"Most people end up going through life doing things [for a living] that they really don't want to do," Sharpton says.

"This is a reality show that has a message, it seeks to get people to find out who they really are and pursue that."

On the eight episode series, slated to air next fall, eight men including a pre-school teacher, a manure shoveler for a compost company, a lawyer and a handyman will get a helping hand from Sharpton and the chance to become a club promoter, male model, comedian and a hockey coach, respectively.

"Ultimately, people ought to try to pursue who they want to be rather than just be whatever will pay the bills, and that's the theme of the show," he says.

"Life is about trying to become who it is you feel you were born to be," says Sharpton. "I've done that in my life, and this show is going to encourage other people to do that."

Each week, Sharpton and a "life counselor," psychologist Stephanie Raye, will meet with the contestants and offer them advice and opportunities to try and land their dream jobs.

Five contestants who don't show enough drive and passion as they work will get booted from the series.

"We use three P's persistence, passion and performance to inspire them to pursue their dream jobs," says Sharpton. "We give them certain tasks and certain things that they have to go through to prove they have these qualities."

If Sharpton and Raye decide that contestants lack one or more of these capabilities, "they go home," he says.

"I Hate My Job" is Sharpton's latest foray into television. He is also slated to be political commentator for CNBC during this summer's political conventions.

The former U.S. Democratic presidential hopeful has been campaigning with presumptive party nominee Sen. John Kerry.

http://nypost.com/entertainment/24039.htm