+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Results 81 to 88 of 88

Thread: "Cold Turkey" ~ anyone else hear about this?

  1. #81
    FORT scientist astrogirl_2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nivå, Denmark
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,237
    I was happy to see that so many of the participants are still smoke free. What was the statistic, like 5% of people trying to quit actually succeeds? Which mean that this show has done really well. Now they should set up a business based on the show. A family member or friend signs up they loved one who smokes. The smoker has no idea what he or she is in for. They are locked in the house with strangers for a month, and participates in the same activites as the smokers on the show. I'm sure there would be grant support, and some health insurances would pay.

  2. #82
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    I was happy to see that so many of the participants are still smoke free. What was the statistic, like 5% of people trying to quit actually succeeds? Which mean that this show has done really well. Now they should set up a business based on the show. A family member or friend signs up they loved one who smokes. The smoker has no idea what he or she is in for. They are locked in the house with strangers for a month, and participates in the same activites as the smokers on the show. I'm sure there would be grant support, and some health insurances would pay.
    It would be nice to think the Health Insurance Companies would kick in some kind of compensation but I doubt it would happen. They don't seem to want to pay for anything that might prevent a person from getting really sick ie: cancer, heart problems etc. - no - they will deny payment for any kind of 'preventative' treatment.......guess they'd rather wait till the person is really in bad shape and THEN pay through the nose ........doesn't make sense to me but if you think I'm wrong just call around and see how many, if any, insurance companies are willing to cover the cost of things like the Nicotine Patch or Gum.......they wouldn't pay for the Gum when it was available by prescription only and I would imagine they still won't pay for it esp. now that it's just considered an OTC type 'drug'......Nah, they'd rather wait for the smoker to get cancer and then they can pay and pay and pay until the smoker dies...

  3. #83
    FORT Newbie mocksie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12
    I missed Francesca's departure! Can someone tell me what happened, and if she remained smoke-free? Thanks!

  4. #84
    FORT scientist astrogirl_2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nivå, Denmark
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by mocksie
    I missed Francesca's departure! Can someone tell me what happened, and if she remained smoke-free? Thanks!
    She picked up one of the cigarettes offered and was puffing all the way to the van. She is still smoking.

  5. #85
    FORT scientist astrogirl_2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nivå, Denmark
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by azsk8fan
    It would be nice to think the Health Insurance Companies would kick in some kind of compensation but I doubt it would happen. They don't seem to want to pay for anything that might prevent a person from getting really sick ie: cancer, heart problems etc. - no - they will deny payment for any kind of 'preventative' treatment.......guess they'd rather wait till the person is really in bad shape and THEN pay through the nose ........(
    My insurance company is a bit different. It will pay for preventive things. For instance, they pay your gym fees if you go a certain number of times (you get a trainer to sign each time you go, and once you have been there the requsted number of times, they reimburse your fee). I think they help with smoke prevention too. I have Oxford Freedon, and I really like them, even though it is a pain in the you-know-what to get referrals every time you have to see a specialist.

  6. #86
    addicted to reality AmyKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    1,045
    I didnt watch this all season, I only caught it here and there. I have to say though, the woman that came and talked to the people in the house had a huge effect on me, I gave up smoking about 2 months ago cold turkey (dont ask how I did it- I dont even know!) but everytime i even think about just having one while Im drinking, this comes to mind. I wish my husband would have seen it, as we are trying everything to help him quit. This would have made a big impact Im sure.

  7. #87
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    My insurance company is a bit different. It will pay for preventive things. For instance, they pay your gym fees if you go a certain number of times (you get a trainer to sign each time you go, and once you have been there the requsted number of times, they reimburse your fee). I think they help with smoke prevention too. I have Oxford Freedon, and I really like them, even though it is a pain in the you-know-what to get referrals every time you have to see a specialist.
    Wow! That is GRRRRRRRRReat (as Tony the Tiger would say). Which Insurance Company are you with - I might need to look into an insurance plan like that. That company sounds like it's really on the ball - too bad more companies don't follow suit - it just seems to make good sense to put a little money into preventative measures in hopes of staving off the costs that incur when someone gets some kind of really debilitating/fatal kind of disease. Finally - a company with common sense -

  8. #88
    FORT scientist astrogirl_2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nivå, Denmark
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by azsk8fan
    Wow! That is GRRRRRRRRReat (as Tony the Tiger would say). Which Insurance Company are you with - I might need to look into an insurance plan like that.
    It's called Oxford. I have the Freedom plan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.