+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: "Cold Turkey" ~ anyone else hear about this?

I would tape every episode if you made it on to this show. We should start a petition to get your boss to allow you to audition.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I'd do this one, for sure. I really don't want to smoke anymore, and it WOULD take something dramatic like a reality show or PRISON to help me stop.
    It sounds like you're ready, then!
    The patch makes it pretty easy, even for someone like me who smoked for 30 years. (I still have intense cravings for a long, deep drag off a menthol ... like right now ... Must. Stop. Fantasizing.)
    Anyway ...
    I don't know how these folks are doing it cold turkey. The older woman will probably quit for good because she knows that she's on borrowed luck. The younger ones might quit too, because they're not really hooked.
    The ones in the middle ... they'll light up as soon as they're out of the house.
    Last edited by candor; 10-26-2004 at 10:01 PM.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Maveno YOU CAN DO IT You could start right now! The FORT will be your support group. You can do whatever they do on the show. I'm sure you can find a hospital nearby that has cancer patients that you can talk to. And since you do live in California, you can probably go on hikes, paraglide, take a tae-bo class and all that stuff. And I'm sure you can buy lots of booze and get drunk and act silly. As for the news conference, I'll interview you!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    uh oh.. I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be 'interventioned' soon.

I am a physically fit gal, so doing stuff that requires lots of lung doesn't bug me.. I just don't 'have it in me' yet to actually quit. Also, Zaaam smokes..so we'd have to do it together. Last night's episode (repeat), we switched the channel when it came to the cancer patient talking to the contestants. So, I really don't think I, or we would have it in us to go talk to people in the hospital.
    But.. I WILL SAY THIS.. this reality show DOES make us really, honestly look at our habit and REALLY think about it.
    So.. we're slowing down...going to start "changing" slowly and have different habits.
    Zaaam smokes American Spirits now, which is all natural tobacco..no chemicals. That works for her, but for me.. I get migraines because IMO, my body is craving the chemicals too much for such a sudden switch.

I've done the patch twice in my lifetime..and each time, it wasn't enough for me. I actually smoked while ON the things.
    I smoke about a half pack a day...depending on what I'm doing.. normal work week day and I don't have the free time to light up whenever I want helps. Weekends come.. oh shiat. Drinks and smokes, whenever I want. Also, I've been smoking since I was 8. If my mother would sign up as a member on the Fort, she's testify to that. She even busted me with cigs, matches & cigars in my toy farm...you know the one that MOO's when you open the door? That one. No lie....and I'm 33 now.
    It's a very fickle habit for me.. one day I'll do great, the next...I'm a chimney.
    ::sigh::
    Someday I'll get the spine..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~BACK ON TOPIC

Ok. So why did Francesca flush his film?? I had the channel switched over to something else during commercial, and when I came back..it was when she was yelling at him in the pool. What happened? I know she was pissed about pictures taken about her, but WHAT made her get upset about it that night?!
    By the looks of it, she continues her arseholeness in the next episode with the paintball challenge.. I say she needs to leave.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

First of all folks, this episode will re-air again Saturday and again next week...so no worries about missing tonights ep. Secondly, I don't agree with "on-line" support groups. It's nice that you would be able to type me warm fuzzy messages and notes of encouragement, but what I need is something more 24/7. I'm not sure a reality show would be the way for me to quit and I don't like to get lost in a "group" setting where you have to attack everybodies needs at once.

It's kind of like going to training for something with people who have no experience and you have oodles of experience. You're definitely not working at a comfortable pace for YOU. If Maveno's serious about quitting, she will find a way that works for her. Instead of trying the patch, realizing it doesn't work and then just giving up to the notion that she can't quit, why not try something else?

Just promise me you won't fall for any of those "quit in two days" infomercials on late-night tv.

I agree that online support is not enough. But we can do what we can. Aren't there programs where people can get support if they quit? I seem to remember some commercials in Pennsylvania where the govenor sponsored a program to quit.

I don't smoke, and honestly I've never quit a bad habit. But I believe it's all about motivation. There has to be a reason to quit. I think the show provides these people with a good reason in the form of peer pressure and rewards for not smoking (the paragliding). I'm sure you don't need a reality show for that. There must be couselors that specialize in helping smokers quit. How about finding a real life support group?

I also think that some progress is better than no progress. Whatever steps you take to get closer to where you need to be are good steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    It's a very fickle habit for me.. one day I'll do great, the next...I'm a chimney.
    ::sigh::
    Someday I'll get the spine.
    I feel for you, and I truly believe we can only quit when we're ready, not from outside pressure or even friendly support.
    I had a guy dump me because I smoked, but that wasn't enough to make me quit. I smoked through several bouts of bronchitis. I snuck smokes out the window of my parents' house, friends' homes, hotel rooms, borrowed cars, you name it. And, just hours after my brother died of esophageal cancer, I went out and had a cigarette.
    For nonsmokers out there, that's how powerful the preciousssssss is.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

I wish those who are trying to quit the best of luck because I know it is so hard to stop. Just remember that the people who love you perfer to have you around and that the world is a better place when your in it.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    First of all folks, this episode will re-air again Saturday and again next week...so no worries about missing tonights ep. Secondly, I don't agree with "on-line" support groups. It's nice that you would be able to type me warm fuzzy messages and notes of encouragement, but what I need is something more 24/7. I'm not sure a reality show would be the way for me to quit and I don't like to get lost in a "group" setting where you have to attack everybodies needs at once.

It's kind of like going to training for something with people who have no experience and you have oodles of experience. You're definitely not working at a comfortable pace for YOU. If Maveno's serious about quitting, she will find a way that works for her. Instead of trying the patch, realizing it doesn't work and then just giving up to the notion that she can't quit, why not try something else?

Just promise me you won't fall for any of those "quit in two days" infomercials on late-night tv.

Thanks for the heads up on the replays

FORT Newbie
    wow... i saw my first epidsode of this last week! and i think i'm going to like it a lot At first, i thought isn't PAX like a family orientated rated-G channel? thats suitable for everybody, and that the word "sex" and words like "damn" weren't allowed? heh anybody wanna fill me in? the show had lotsa bleepin but im fine with that

The epidsode i saw last week was about the drunk guy saying some mean stuff to the gay guy. that was a good epidsode... and not that i think about it. This isn't your typical reality show nowadays. No frat boys, not that many pretty-boys, or pretty ditzy girls..... its a well mature crowd, we got here. And i like that. This should should end up being really good, and i'll continue to watch it who knows, may be my favorite :0)

+ Reply to Thread