+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality hits little Simpson sister Ashlee

Reality hits little Simpson sister Ashlee

Reality hits little Simpson sister Ashlee

By César G. Soriano, USA TODAY

Ashlee Simpson is not content to follow in the footsteps of her famous big sister, Jessica.

Like Jessica, Ashlee is a singer and actress. And MTV is hoping that, just like sis, she'll be a reality TV star. The Ashlee Simpson Show debuts Wednesday (10:30 ET/PT).

But that's where the similarities end.

"I feel like I have my own identity and I stand on my own," says Simpson, 19.

Ashlee is more punk than pop, more grunge than glam, quixotic not neurotic. Last month she dyed her blond hair dark brown with a home coloring kit.

"I'm a tomboy with a girly twist," she says by phone. "Jess is more shy, and I'm more like, 'Woo hoo! Let's get this party started!' "

While Jessica is known for her pop gospel sound, Ashlee's inspirations are Janis Joplin, Chrissie Hynde and Pat Benatar.

Simpson's debut album, Autobiography, hits stores July 20. Simpson co-wrote all the songs. Her first single, Pieces of Me, is climbing the charts. (It's No. 25 on the Airplay Monitor mainstream top 40 chart.) She'll spend the summer promoting her CD with later plans for a concert tour.

But being the kid sister of a pop princess naturally leads to comparisons. She even wrote a song about it, Shadow.

"I don't feel like I'm in (Jessica's) shadow anymore. We're actually like the closest we've ever been now," Simpson says. "I feel like that song is sort of thanking her for helping me find my identity."

Fans will get a closer look with her show, which follows her as she records her new album. MTV is committed to at least six episodes. The series premieres right after the third-season premiere of Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica (10 p.m. ET/PT).

"At first, Jessica said, 'Are you sure you want to get into this?' I really had to let go because having these cameras in front of my face helped me grow up a little bit, not be so jaded."

The cameras also caught her breakup with her longtime boyfriend, actor/singer Josh Henderson.

"It's actually good for me to see that now and say: 'Oh, that's why I'm not with him. Because he's a jerk!' "

The Texas native says her newfound celebrity status hasn't changed her.

But Simpson is already discovering the price of newfound fame: gossip. A recent tabloid rumor claimed she tried to steal Paris Hilton's boyfriend, Nick Carter. "No! That is SO random. When I heard that, I was dying laughing," she says.

"I'm actually not dating anybody. (Singer) Ryan Cabrera and I were dating, but we broke up. Right now I'm 19, I'm single and I'm truly enjoying it."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...-simpson_x.htm

[IMG]images/img/16-asimpson-inside.jpg[/IMG]

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    :rolleyes :rolleyes You've got to be kidding me. This is one show I won't be watching or even have an interest in seeing. One Simpson in the lime-light is MORE than enough. Lets just hope she's nothing like her sister. :rolleyes
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

what's up with the black hair? i can't believe she got her own show either.

Basing my opinion on nothing but that article, she seems far more palatable than Jessica.

Premium Member
    Wow. This one sounds so bad that I won't even watch it. I'm soooo sick of the Simpson family. I wonder if she'll stay on 7th Heaven.

I can't get over this part....

Ashlee is more punk than pop, more grunge than glam, quixotic not neurotic. Last month she dyed her blond hair dark brown with a home coloring kit.
    This makes her "punk"?!

hmm. Maybe if she's that punk she could have Frankie from RW San Diego on as her wacky sidekick. Since Frankie was too punk for the RW and all.
    Last edited by geekgirl; 06-16-2004 at 01:08 PM.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you can’t make it on your own

MTV are just blatantly cashing in on the Simpson craze. I can't imagine this show being that interesting if they're just going to follow her around while she records her album. It just seem's like some free promotion for the album and a chance to sample her music. I find it funny that her and Hillary Duff's sisters both claim to be punk and feel they're so different from their sisters! :rolleyes
    Last edited by Fanatic277; 06-16-2004 at 01:14 PM.

JR.
    Geez, I didn't know she had a sister Another crap show.

God, those Simpson parents are greedy.
    Enough of the Simpson family. Jessica is plenty.

JR, I told my wife about this, and she said the same thing: "Jessica has a sister?"

And then "what does she do that's worthy of her own show?"

Quote Originally Posted by John
    JR, I told my wife about this, and she said the same thing: "Jessica has a sister?"

And then "what does she do that's worthy of her own show?"
    She has the same father. He is also the producer of Newlyweds and both of their managers. I'm sure he is also producing Ashley's show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast