+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NYPD 24/7 (ABC, Tuesdays @ 10pm)

FORT Newbie

NYPD 24/7 (ABC, Tuesdays @ 10pm)

have any of you guys heard about the new show that follows around real NYPD officers. and it is not cops.

I haven't heard of that show. Do you know who will carry it or are they still in production?

I did see the commercial, it looked very good.

AIWANNABE, do you remember which station will carry it or when it might premiere?

Thanks.

No sorry I don't remember, eldee. I searched google and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for checking AIWANNABE. I'll pay attention to commercials. I'm sure they will show it more as the debut time approaches.

FORT Newbie
    i couldn't find it on any search engine either. i think it was on tnt but i'm not sure. all i know is that the guy from NYPD Blue was on the commercial. so maybe it will be on whatever channel that show airs.

It's starting next week!

Quote Originally Posted by mdx875
    i couldn't find it on any search engine either. i think it was on tnt but i'm not sure. all i know is that the guy from NYPD Blue was on the commercial. so maybe it will be on whatever channel that show airs.

NYPD 24/7

Their exploits have been the stuff of countless movies and television shows, but nothing can compare to the real thing. In "NYPD 24/7," a new documentary series from the award-winning producers of "Hopkins 24/7" and "Boston 24/7," ABC News cameras are given unprecedented access to the New York Police Department. Never before have cameras been allowed to roam so widely for so long among the closed ranks of the NYPD. For sixteen months, compelling cops from elite units share their hopes, their frustrations and their special brand of dark humor, as cameras follow them into situations that are unpredictable and often dangerous. "NYPD 24/7," narrated by "NYPD Blue's" Dennis Franz, airs on seven consecutive Tuesday nights, beginning Tuesday, June 22 (10:00-11:00 PM).

In hour one of "NYPD 24/7," a young career woman is viciously assaulted in the lobby of her former boyfriend's Manhattan building by an unknown assailant. One of the nation's most elite homicide squads, Manhattan South, is on the case, including Detective Steve Di Schiavi. In a brilliant bit of detective work, he and his partners trace the woman's cell phone through a series of twists and turns worthy of Agatha Christie to hunt the man who left a promising young life for dead.

Terence Wrong is producer and executive producer of "NYPD 24/7." Roxanna Sherwood is the co-producer. Bryan Taylor is the editorial producer. Rudy Bednar is the senior executive producer and Phyllis McGrady is the executive-in-charge.

I already have a season pass on Tivo for this one!

Chris

NYPOST:
    June 22, 2004 -- IF the last thing you want to see is another cop drama, have I got a show for you: "NYPD 24/7," a heart-wrenching cop show set in New York.
    Huh? Didn't I just say no more cop dramas? Yes, but "NYPD 24/7" isn't a drama it's real life.

For 16 months, the show's producers (who also produced the award winning series "Hopkins 24/7" and "Boston 24/7") were given unlimited access to NYC detectives, staying with them during investigations from the frustrations to the triumphs, to the not so easily wrapped-up cases.

Hosted by Dennis Franz, aka Andy Sipowicz, Tuesday night's premiere focuses on a real-life younger Sipowicz, Stephen Di Schiavi, of Manhattan North.

Di Schiavi, who took a lot of ribbing from fellow cops for being chosen as one of the cops the show would trail, is a hard-boiled, soft-hearted tough guy.

He's seen too much, and even says that although he's 40, he feels 50 or 60. You can see why when he has to call the parents of a young woman who has been stabbed in the lobby of her ex-boyfriend's apartment building and is clinging to life.

You can see his other side when he's talking about a subway jumper who pulled out a gun and killed himself when the train stopped before running him down.

"Kinda like being a Boy Scout, I guess. Always being prepared."

And there's yet another side revealed when he and fellow detectives interview the stab victim's former boyfriend, who talks about the stresses of banking to them.

"What stress is there in banking," they wonder. With one sentence, you understand the difference in the stress level of say, currency trading and a gun fight with a crazed psycho, or picking up the pieces of a dismembered corpse.

Terence Wrong, the producer, has to walk the fine line in these shows between idol worship, steely-eyed non-judgmental journalism and entertainment, and he does a good job.

He has managed in each case to avoid being overly enamored of his subjects, a problem encountered by many embedded journos in Iraq who had to write honestly about the very soldiers they lived with on a daily basis.

While we don't get the inside dish on the cops' home lives, like you do in a cop show, this is for me, anyway, a refreshing change. The documentaries are about the lives these cops live on the street, the lives they share with their "other" family with whom they share life and death on a daily basis.

And perhaps the debut of two real-life cop shows in the past few weeks, ("The First 48" was the first), and the premature cancellation of "The Restaurant," signals that a switch is taking place in "reality" TV.

Maybe the next wave in reality TV will really have something to do with reality and we'll be seeing survival shows peopled by cops and folks whose jobs really are a game of survival on a daily basis.

Their survival and ours.

One thing's for sure they beat watching unrealistic "reality" dating and survival shows which are growing thinner than Dennis Franz' hairline.

And besides, how many out of work bartenders are left who can afford to take six weeks off to go to the jungle and eat bugs? Or worse take six weeks off to date pathetic, needy losers?

4/4 stars

"NYPD 24/7"
    Tonight at 10 on Ch. 7
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/26196.htm

I didn't see it for the schedule yesterday but, I caught some of it. I liked the part that I saw. They were looking for the guy who stabbed and robbed a blonde lady.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast