+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOX calls off "Seriously, Dude, I'm Gay!"

FOX calls off "Seriously, Dude, I'm Gay!"

Fox Cancels Gay-Themed Reality Show Amid Criticism

9 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Fox television said on Thursday it has canceled plans to air a two-hour special titled "Seriously, Dude, I'm Gay," in which two straight men compete for $50,000 by trying to pass themselves off as homosexuals.

A network spokeswoman said the reality show, which had been slated to air June 7, was pulled off the schedule "for creative reasons" after Fox executives previewed the program.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation issued a statement commending Fox for shelving the special, which the civil rights group branded "an exercise in systematic humiliation."

"Fox deserves a lot of credit for doing the right thing here," GLAAD executive director Joan Garry said. "They offered us an advance copy of the show and were incredibly responsive to our grave concerns."

She said Fox also had agreed to meet with GLAAD officials to discuss the special, but the session was called off once the show was dumped.

According to GLAAD media director Stephen Macias, who viewed a copy of the special, the contestants referred to their experience as "their worst nightmare" and complained of being "trapped in gay hell."

One contestant resorted to telling his former wrestling teammate that he liked the sport because he enjoyed "close contact with sweaty boys." He later had to fork-feed dinner to a blind date, get the man to spank him and fool him into securing a second date, Macias said.

GLAAD first questioned the show's premise as potentially offensive after seeing promotional materials stating that the two contestants would immerse themselves in "the gay lifestyle" and later be judged by a "jury of their queers" -- a panel of gay men who would decide who was the most convincing.

Fox later issued a second press release with a disclaimer apologizing for its "ill-chosen" humor in the first.

The one-time special, from the creators of the Fox reality series "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance," will be replaced on the Fox schedule by a telecast of the movie "American Pie 2."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...leisure_gay_dc

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Who knew FOX was so homophobic? They should take the show to ABC.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

I'm a little surprised myself. We've long known that FOX will leave no stone unturned, no lower position to sink to. This wasn't even the worst of them.

One less trainwreck for my summer. Bummer.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Shameful! I suddenly feel the need to shower.
    Lead me not into temptation ~ I can find the way myself

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I'm a little surprised myself. We've long known that FOX will leave no stone unturned, no lower position to sink to. This wasn't even the worst of them.
    Two words - Littlest Groom
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    One less trainwreck for my summer. Bummer.
    I hear you. I was looking forward to a summer of cheese.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFabulous
    Two words - Littlest Groom

The one-time special, will be replaced on the Fox schedule by a telecast of the movie "American Pie 2."
    Cause that's good wholesome family TV. :rolleyes
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

I'm glad they called it off. I didn't like that sneaky premise anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast