Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Swan's Makeovers Not Good According to Experts

The Swan's Makeovers Not Good According to Experts

NYPOST

MARNIE
    - Photo courtesy of Fox Broadcasting Company
    Email Archives
    Print Reprint

May 17, 2004 -- MEET Kelly, a 25-year-old retail worker. Above, she's pictured before entering "The Swan," Fox's extreme makeover/ beauty pageant show.
    On the right is Kelly now - after a brow lift, cheek and chin implants, a lower eye fat transfer, lip augmentation, lobe reduction, mole removal, Restylane, gum surgery and tooth veneers - among other "improvements."

Does she look better to you?

"She looks older now," says Dr. Robert Silisch, a cosmetic surgeon in private practice on the Upper East Side. "Her teeth are too big, her smile's too big, and I don't know what they did to her cheeks."

Like most of the contestants on the show, Kelly went under the knife - above her boyfriend's objection, in this case - to boost her self-esteem. According to the bio on the Fox site, she was so "immobilized by fear that people are looking at her nose" that she opted to stock shelves at a home-improvement store to avoid customers.

While acknowledging that some of the show's 16 competitors do look better, experts consulted by The Post say several - including Kelly - might have done just as well with a less drastic overhaul.

Some may only need therapy and an old-fashioned makeover.

"All these girls need are contact lenses, better hair and makeup - and better self-esteem," says Silich.

"The worst thing a plastic surgeon can hear is, 'I just want to be beautiful.' Nothing I can do will make them happy. It sounds corny, but [beauty] really does come from within."

Each week, two contestants - many of them recently divorced or separated - undergo a complete overhaul by a team of plastic surgeons, cosmetic dentists, trainers and therapists. When each candidate is "revealed" at long last, she inevitably has hair extensions, Chicklet teeth, huge breasts and an Angelina Jolie pout - topped off with heavy makeup and an evening gown.

It's obviously somebody's idea of glamour - the show's Web site is flooded with letters from women desperate to be the next "Swan."

And Kelly, upon seeing her new self for the first time on air, cried: "Oh my God, I look absolutely beautiful,"an oft-repeated phrase among contenders.

But Dr. Lisa Berman, a psychiatrist who often counsels plastic surgery patients, urges caution with increasingly popular shows like "The Swan." "They are offering the idea that your whole life is going to change," she says. "But you're still going to go back to your abusive husband and your unfulfilling life."

How many really look better after TV makeovers? Turn the page to see more amazing photos - and read how New York beauty and style experts rate them.

Additional reporting: Danica Lo
    http://www.nypost.com/style/24191.htm

3rd castle on the right with a bunch of flying monkeys. do not disturb. really.
    thanks for posting this aiwannabe!
    It's you and me against the world...we attack at dawn.

Great article AI, definitely agree with them...plastic surgery doesn't fix a poor self esteem.

I haven't been all that impressed by most of the Swan makeovers I've seen.
    I think many of them end up looking somewhat "trashy", overly inflated boobage and that sloppy, "just got out of bed" hair.
    I know the tv show wants to create the most impact in their before and after shots, but it almost seems as though the surgeons have been told to overdo it so the reveals are more dramatic.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Agreed.

I can appreciate some of the surgery that's been performed on the Swan contestants (the woman who got her teeth fixed, acne/scar removal). But on others...I think they actually ruined Marnie's looks.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I couldn't agree with this article more. This show continually disturbs me.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

It's the mouths that bother me, I keep seeing Jack Nicholson's mouth as the Joker in the first Batman. They just look unnatural and overly protuding, if that's a proper sentence. Is is collagen injections, I don't know. The hair, and make-up is kind of over the top, L.A glitz, but that really doesn't have much to do with the surgery itself. I wonder if each plastic surgeon has a sort of idealized vision of a face, and if they all have sort of signature looks like artists? I also noticed, they love to put the swans in dresses in which the bottom half of the dress is see-through , I guess to show off the legs, but enough of that dress all ready. They almost look like expensive hookers. What I find really disturbing about this show, is how many of the 'swans' have very abusive or passive-aggresive husbands, I hope most of them dump the jerks they married, and get someone who appreciates them, so if this surgery helps them feel better about themselves, and gives them more self-esteem, then bravo.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 05-21-2004 at 01:35 PM.

Who are they talking about in the article? They keep saying Kelly, but they show a photo of Marnie.

I think most of these women didn't even need surgery. All they needed was makeup and a brush. DUH.

And it says turn the page to see ratings, but no link? I want to see what they rated the rest of the women!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    Who are they talking about in the article? They keep saying Kelly, but they show a photo of Marnie.
    The name "Marnie" is under the photo of her but yeah, pretty slopping reporting. WTH is Kelly?

I said in another thread that Marnie now looks scarily like my old Superstar Barbie *shudder*- I would sue the idiot who operated on me if I turned out like that.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I've said it's like watching a trainwreck. I can't repeat some other things I've said about how they turn out, except they end up looking like hookers with extra large boobs, straw hair, and vacuum lips. There should have been a classier way of doing these make overs! Can you imagine the whiners in a few years when their boobs have deflated and their "lush lips" are sagging down to their navel? Then that's when they should show them on camera and do a reality show about when their bodies are no longer perfect and how should they deal with it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast