+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people watch reality tv shows?

Why do you watch Reality T.V?

Hello all,
    Another "person" posted that we are crazy to watch reality t.v and they went on and on.

Anyway, it prompted me to post and ask everyone why do you watch? It did get me thinking about why I watch and LOVE reality t.v (not all of it)

I watch for one because I live in Massachusetts and I'm like a bear in the winter. I just don't like going out much til at least March
    Once I start going out I get out of the habit of watching much of anything but a movie once in a while. I think with me it has something to do with 9/11 as well. I've a family and raising a daughter and like everyone else worry about the state of affairs today.
    I have a couple of quiet nights that I forget about all the scary stuff going on and just chill out -
    I look forward to Thursday night as it's one night I know my boyfriend and I are going to be together alone and relaxed.
    I watch for a lot of different reasons but, I think it's just that escape.
    Of course there are other ways (healthy) to take a break, chill out and enjoy my life. The couple of shows I really enjoy are one of my favorite ways to just RELAXX
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I'm moving this to Other reality shows forum since it is not directly about Survivor.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Why do I watch? Why not?

I tend to just watch Survier and the Bachaler shows. It's just something to watch. I get sick of sitcoms, you can only watch so many cop shows and I'm tired of medical shows. There is a limited number of things to watch that interest me and right now SOME reality shows interest me.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I find myself watching for different reasons based on the type/quality of the show.

1 - Shows like The Amazing Race, EcoChallenge, Combat Missions and Survivor I watch for the competition, the compelling social experiment, to learn about other countries and potential travel destinations (TAR), to see how much the human body can withstand (Eco mainly), and to learn about things that I may not have any history or exposure to.

2 - Joe Millionaire and The Bacherlorette I watched because it was like a train wreck and I couldn't look away. I felt like I HAD to see what was going to happen next, and I was intrigued to see to what lengths people would go to get 15 minutes of fame.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

hi bravo.
    Thanks for the message. Not the greatest thread because hardly anyone replied!!
    hmm
    Got a good laugh out of why you like J.M and The Bachlorette (I just learned how to spell that and forgot again ) duh
    Anyway same here for me with those 2. I was so hooked on both of them and felt like I was punishing myself because they were soooo long and such b.s!!
    have a good day : )
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

I watch Reality TV because Sher got me hooked on this site and the site got me hooked on all of the shows. Thanks guys! :/
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I'm fascinated by everyone's unique story. Reality TV gives me the chance to learn another human being's story under unpredictable circumstances. I also really like the game aspect of my favorite reality shows (Survivor, The Amazing Race, Combat Missions, The Mole, etc.). That competitive part is an important part of how much I will enjoy a reality show. I've watched a few of the "romance" ones, but they don't grab me as strongly as a well-crafted game.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

waiting.

why do people love reality tv shows so?

i'm reasonably interested in reality tv shows, because they offer a wide variety of entertainment. however, sometimes, i do wonder, what is it about these shows exactly that appeal? haha, so please do share your point of view. i'm genuinely interested to know.

I like the confrontation, conflict, and the element of surprise. Is America getting "dumber?" I don't know but television is television and I think reality TV is better than watching violence.

waiting.
    -laughs. thanks. but don't you sometimes think that the confrontations are a little too predictable? that's why i prefer shows like American Idol compared to Survivor. also, if possible, please help me ask around as well. i really am interested in what we look for in reality shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast