+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people watch reality tv shows?

Because we enjoy watching and pitying other on TV! And enjoy making fun of them and critic'ing their every single move, and judge them. Yup, that's pretty much it. *in a nutshell*

fairygodmother!
    I, too, watch American Idol...partly because I can take part in it by voting. The better reality TV shows are the ones that aren't so predictable. For example, American Idol ratings are up because of the recent controversy (LaToya going home) and conflict, majority of us would not have predicted that! I agree with you predictabilty kills it because it becomes anti climatic.

I pretty much agree with Masahi. Also, I think reality tv makes us feel better about ourselves! After all, who hasn't sat there and thought, "That idiot! I would be much smarter than that in that situation!" Or "Oh, that was so smart, that's exactly what I would have done!" Also, among the cast members there is usually someone who reminds us of a family member, friend, or even someone we don't like, so they seem familiar to us. I am speaking here of shows like "Survivor" or the dating shows.
    I like the makeover shows like "Queer Eye" and so forth just to see the changes in that week's participants.
    I'm not a big fan of American Idol because I don't care for the type of music they usually have and don't like the idea of getting to vote for a winner an unlimited amount of times, but I suspect the appeal of those shows is the same as an old fashioned talent show.
    As for "regular" tv...I usually watch the Discovery, History, Animal Planet, etc. channels. I can't think of a current sitcom that I find funny, or a drama show that holds my interest. The lame scripts that most primetime shows have now have made me pretty much avoid regular tv for about the last five years or so.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I like reality tv because it usually puts regular people that you can identify with(most the time) in situations that really get you thinking what you would do in similar situations. And it is just neat to hear what the others plot and plan in the backround. I LOVE it!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    That idiot! I would be much smarter than that in that situation

Great point!

This question will eat at me for the rest of my life because I really have no idea

My answer is pretty simple...Reality TV is so much more interesting to me than sitcoms/dramas. I love the twists and turns they throw at us and the competition factor. Also, I love discussing every aspect of these shows here at the FORT and with others. Each week, we have spirited discussions about American Idol at work. IMO, I'm not sure you could have that with any old sitcom or drama.
    "Someone forgot to drink their courageous juice this morning" from "Psych"

I think it has alot to do with the fact that these are "real people" so you can identify with them somehow someway... I think what makes shows successful is because while there is a predictable element, such as with AI, Tuesday they sing and everyone is happy, and Wednesday the get voted offa nd we all cry.. basically standard set rules... then we all discuss or at least think about the variables, things like what they could have done different, what the chain of events, cause and effect.. those kinds of thigns... it stimulates us mentally in those kinds of ways, and it doesn't hurt that most of the people are at least semi decent to look at, heh.. but really its all about the stimulation stuff and plus we get to see Human Nature at its finest.. People say its bad TV because I think it embarasses them somehow that these are people that somehow represent whatever it is you identify them with, be it looks, personality, attitude, singing ability, business strategy.. and often when the identification and the representation don't match, thats the conflict and what gets us talking more, etc..

basically its a big chain.. That's why I love Reality TV shows so much more then sitcoms and things of that nature.. Sitcoms, TV dramas, other more scripted thigns are not good to me much anymore.. Not that they are predictable, because if they were that wouldn't be entertaining to anyone, but you see where things are going, where as in Reality TV, alot of it is a mystery and since its life, they can do something about it, rather then it just being an idea in the writers heads...

wow, I just reread what I wrote and it almost makes no sense at all.. lol.. it does and it doesn't oh well, feel free to ask if its not clear what I was trying to say..

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    I pretty much agree with Masahi. Also, I think reality tv makes us feel better about ourselves! After all, who hasn't sat there and thought, "That idiot! I would be much smarter than that in that situation!" Or "Oh, that was so smart, that's exactly what I would have done!" Also, among the cast members there is usually someone who reminds us of a family member, friend, or even someone we don't like, so they seem familiar to us.
    ~~~~~
    As for "regular" tv...I usually watch the Discovery, History, Animal Planet, etc. channels. I can't think of a current sitcom that I find funny, or a drama show that holds my interest. The lame scripts that most primetime shows have now have made me pretty much avoid regular tv for about the last five years or so.
    QB you got my thoughts down near perfectly there! Even down to the "regular" tv...I live on those type channels for my fill time between reality shows.

Premium Member
    For me it just appeals to my nature. I'm a very quiet, introspective person and I love people watching and just observing the world. So reality TV appeals to that side of me. I know the shows are the products of editing (and in some cases, manipulation) more than anything, but it is still raw, unscripted behavior and I enjoy watching it.

There are some golden moments, that are not simply editing tricks. The 2 hour Survivor season finale is a recent example. Wow, lots of hard feelings and emotions between that cast. And like several others have said, there is just so much crap coming from "regular" TV. Besides reality TV, I mostly watch Discovery Health and A&E, and just a few scripted network shows .
    Last edited by geekgirl; 05-16-2004 at 03:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast