+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: "Colonial House" on PBS

"Colonial House" on PBS

Posting this in case there are other nerds out there who plan to watch this. I love these PBS shows, like Manor House, and their latest one is starting next week. It airs May 17, 18, 24, 25.

By FRAZIER MOORE
    AP Television Writer
    It's not racy, like "The Bachelor." There are no cruel jokes, like on "Joe Millionaire." No one wins a million dollars or gets a nose job.

Instead, "Colonial House" makes unscripted TV something more than a spectacle.

The premise is deceptively simple: Two dozen modern-day time travelers arrive by tall ship in the New World of 1628 (at what today is called "Massachusetts") to spend several months trying to create a functioning and profitable colony, just like those of America's first settlers.

But there are deeper themes at work here. At the end of the first hour, viewers get a clear expression of how this eight-part series is no contest or game of dress-up. Jeff Wyers, a Southern Baptist minister from Texas who serves as the governor of the "colony," reflects on tending his 9-year-son, who was sick for several days from the harsh conditions.

"What it brought home to me was, all those people watching their loved ones die _ for a dream," says Wyers, his eyes moistening. "I told him that we were doing it in the hopes that their story could be told."

Like its predecessors "Frontier House," "Manor House" and the Peabody Award-winning "1900 House," this latest edition of "hands-on history" does a wonderful job of bridging the gap between Then and Now _ and helping us appreciate the distance traveled.

The first four hours air Monday and Tuesday at 8 p.m. EDT on PBS (check local listings).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Thank you for the reminder!!!!!

Confirmed nerd (and I MUST remember to go home tonight and set tivo before I forget allll about it again).

Guess I'm a nerd, too.

I love the PBS "time period" reality shows. I'll be watching this as well. 1940's House, Manor House and Frontier House were my favorite so far.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Posting this in case there are other nerds out there who plan to watch this.
    Now that LaToya's off AI, I think I'm available to be a nerd.

This actually sounds very good!

Thanks for the tip!

I'm a latecomer to most of these series that ya'll are talking about. I did see Frontier House. We'll be watching the new one.

Thanks for the heads up. I just set TiVo for a season's pass. But here's a warning, just because this is PBS does not mean you can trust their editing. We have friends who were on Frontier House (Gordon and Adrienne, the California couple), who were edited very unfairly and made out to be whining failures. In fact, they were given less food per person than the other families, and then portrayed as having squandered their resources when they ran out and complained. They had no idea, when they were chosen for the show, that they were being type cast as "rich Californians who can't handle hardship." It was ridiculous, actually, because they each had grown up on farms, and Gordon is an experienced hunter who easily could have provided for the family had he been allowed to hunt.

Malibu-

Thanks for the insight about them. It did seem like they were set up for failure. They were my favorite family on the show. It was interesting to see how the show affected the other family who headed for splitsville after filming.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Speedbump, I've seen those other shows too.

I wonder how Oprah will fair on her brief stay on Colonial House.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    I wonder how Oprah will fair on her brief stay on Colonial House.

did anyone see Oprah today??? I'm not quite sure I understand hers and Gail's purpose there.. will they show up on the series for Colonial House? Or, was it just for documentary purposes for Oprah's own show? Anyone know?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast