+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: "Colonial House" on PBS

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Any time Lucy, and no problemo! Bums me out that my computer here at work blocks "chat". ::sigh::

ETA: I grew up in Michigan and there are very large colonies of Amish in the state, so I saw them all the time. Ever since I learned of their lifestyle when and how there is no modern technology to live with, I was INTRIGUED!! I really, really, REALLY wanted to live with an Amish family for months (possibly years?) at a time. I think I started thinking about living with a family when I was around 8 or 9. Might sound strange to some, but it wasn't (and still isn't) strange to me.

I know this show isn't about the Amish, but it's very similar..and I think that's why I'm very interested in it.
    Last edited by Maveno; 05-18-2004 at 08:06 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Oh, that stinks. They usually archive it, though.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I have been riveted to the TV for the past two hours.

--It's really interesting to watch how the roles they must take on within the colony are making people question who they thought they were.

-- I'm a bit on the fence about this rebellion over attending Sunday church services. Surely the colonists were told, likely in detail, what an important thing that was in 1628. I would have thought the un-religious among them would view it as more of a community-building, historical-accuracy-perserving event. I mean, they went out there knowing the purpose was to try to live as much as possible like 1628 colonists. On the other hand, I've always thought it was ironic that real colonists, some of whom were trying to escape religious persecution, turned around and made worship mandatory. And for the sake of historical accuracy, I don't think Jeff the governor should have suspended punishments.

-- I was actually moved by the Wyers' family's reunion.

-- It's also interesting to watch how any one person's rebellion against the norms disrupts the whole community.

Anyway, I'm totally sucked in.

This is turning out to be a stellar-superstar show! I missed the last half hour when my mom called to see if I was watching the show, only to keep me on the phone for the last bit. Good thing for re-runs at 10pm.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I was actually moved by the Wyers' family's reunion.
    I was too!

I was disappointed by the way many of the colonists treated the fellow who went AWOL. Maybe they were just too tired and uncomfortable to care about the poor guy, but it was pretty obvious to the viewer, or at least to me, that the man was on the verge of an emotional breakdown and he had to get away, if not for a day or two, then for good. All the governor could say was "you broke your word to me." Me me me. Nobody, at least, was shown taking the young man aside and saying, Buddy, are you OK? Because you have to be feeling pretty low to take off like that. Compassion, or any empathy at all, seemed quite absent.

Interesting show last night.

My take on everyone treating the guy who left so strangely was that he didn't explain it well. No one, even the men living closest to him, knew if he was leaving the project or what. I respect him for admitting he knew civilization was a certain direction and that ultimately he knew what he was doing. It can't be easy to come out and sincerely call yourself a hypocrite.

What a fine line between wanting to preserve historical accuracy while still holding 21st-century values. Playing hookey from church seemed a little childish for the non-believers. You might as well refuse to use leaves for toilet paper. If the point of the project is to re-create what daily life might have been like, then completely rejecting one part of it as long as it doesn't cause physical harm shouldn't be allowed. I thought the punishment they chose wasn't appropriate. I don't mean it had to be more severe, but they should have had to give up something they valued, like the beer ration. Come on, which would you choose, a three-hour church service or two hours sitting and napping outside?

One thing I find a little disconcerting is that the Wyers family clearly seems to have the agenda of proving how harmonious a religious colony was. The governor's comments especially seem like he's trying to prove something, like the colony could not and will not succeed without faith. Remember the daughter's comment in the first episode that "it's hard to be around people who don't believe the same things"? Red flag - are their kids ever around people who don't attend Daddy's church? (This was before her boyfriend was killed; I mean no disrespect to her emotional turmoil ever since. She's been doing really great, actually.)

That's all well and good for 17th century America, but to a 21st'er it sounds like they'll be running Kool Aid drills pretty soon.

Re: Johnathan's coming out - wasn't that cool? It was really nice how when he told his "masters" they were instantly supportive and relieved he wasn't giving them bad news!
    Last edited by hepcat; 05-19-2004 at 05:30 PM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Here are some tidbits from the Washington Post online discussion today with Amy -- the single woman who left -- and Jonathan -- the servant who came out last night.

On Oprah's visit:
    Tallahassee, Fla.: What was it like to have Oprah in the colony for a little time?

Jonathon Allen: She arrived our last week there. Originally she was supposed to come for two nights, but no no no... she could only take one night. The only thing the producer told us was the "press" was coming so we had that day off and saw this mass of people coming in with camera crews, so we go down and see Oprah and flip out. I've never been starstruck before, but being back 400 years in time....

She poked me in the ribs and told me I need to eat boy.
    Amy is dating Danny the freeman:
    Philadelphia, Pa.: Did any new romances occur among Colony members?

Amy-Kristina Herbert: Yes, freeman Danny and little Amy Christina. We started dating after the show.... in January. And we just didn't tell anybody. Jonathan knew and is giving me a little crap over here. No one else knew and they're all finding out now. We're dating.
    And the full chat is here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May14.html

Gosh, that's funny Amy is dating one of the freemen! She seemed to imply she would rather be on the boat back to England than to get stuck with one of the "D" men. Thanks for the link, Lucy!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I like this show, but there are some things that annoyed me about last night's episode..

The couple who was bothered because they "haven't had sex..OOPS.. I mean GOOD sex :rolleyes in 3 weeks".. Oh pleeease! Stop already. I really, really thought that was tacky of them. Like they can't have quiet sex anyway...what's the problem? Also..think about it, in COLONIAL times.. they had to be super discreet also. Very tacky.
    He (imo) was being overly bothered at the girl who left....she basically left behind whatever they wanted JUST to avoid a confrontation.

The guy walking off. I really think that he should have been punished (somehow) for going "out of bounds". I also agree with Pam that someone should have spoke to him about his feelings, but maybe they did.

Johnathon's "coming out" to his masters and eventually the colony was inappropriate IMO. I was really bothered about the whole thing.
    They're suppose to be living and experiencing the WHOLE lifestyle of the 16th century colony...and that means NOBODY admitted to being gay, and iffff they did (or someone found out) ..they died. Why he felt the need to "come out" is strange to me. WHAT made it all better for him after he admitted to everyone?? NOW they'll let him go off to the gay colony clubs? Seriously...I know he said "he felt like he was cheating everyone.."...or whatever he said...but I just don't understand the importance of telling this faux colony that's simulating the lifestyle of the 16th century for 6 months...that he's gay.
    I can see him needing to come out in the 21st century life he leads, but there's no room for it during this experiment...unless he wants to feel how his "coming out party" would really be accepted in those times. With DEATH.

I am a lesbian..so I don't want anyone to think that I'm homophobic, I just really think him "coming out" on this show was uncalled for.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread