+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: "Colonial House" on PBS

FORT Newbie
    Oh my! How awful!!!
    ~Robyn~

Wow, I really had fun with this. I love that they showed two episodes and are showing more tonight!

I think the gender aspect is really interesting. I have to wonder what would have happened in a real colony (if they were down to this many members). On the one hand, it's hard to imagine the governor's wife bonding with the indentured servants and relating to each other as women with no thought for social stature. On the other hand, I think the anthropology professor was right when she said if they were in a real colony, every member left would be scrambling as hard as they could to accomplish the work with their fewer numbers because none of them could survive the winter unless the crops were put in. I thought her plan of three days on, one off was pretty good. Why not do the cooking communally? I didn't understand why the young woman was so quick to shoot the 3 on 1 off plan down.

In real life, would the dairy maid really have as much of a voice as the governor's wife in a meeting of all women?

Also, did anyone else think that some of the men were just aching to put down a 17th-century foot and just tell the women their opinion didn't matter? They were beating around the bush but I think the two younger freemen especially just wanted the women to shut up and cook their meals.

I always pictured the pilgrims wearing very drab colored clothing, so the bright colors were a surprise. When the assistant governor was standing their in his bright red pants watching the servant men swim, he reminded me of a run-down Santa.

Also: who knew that the women and children stayed on the ship for two months after reaching Plymouth rock so the men could build the colony? Interesting.

Anyway, interesting show so far. My heart goes out to the Wyers family. Kudos to the show for not exploiting the tragedy. I thought the way they had the other participants explain why the family wasn't there and just giving their impressions of what happened was tasteful and still very affecting. What a difference from, say, the Bachelor, which would have had a camera planted in the grieving family's faces.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I also enjoyed the program last night. Very, very interesting.

Does anyone find themselves thinking about what it would have been like if they'd been born at that time?

It must have been so difficult. It really makes me want to stop complaining about things. We sure are lucky to live in 2004. I was born in 1981 but what if I was born in 1681?! Yikes!

I think that British male servant (sorry, can't remember names) is going to stop working so hard in the upcoming episodes. He seems to be really be struggling with taking commands. I think the swim was just the beginning.

I'm really looking forward to tonight. Last night was great. As for coming drama, I think the Voorhees mom is gonna blow! In some scenes she seems like a fun, interesting person, and then in others she has this deep, brooding look on her face. Then suddenly she runs out sobbing, or yells at the other women (like about the schedule.) She is one to watch.

The assistant governor, the white bearded liberal professor, also surprised me. I thought he'd take a more egalitarian view, but by upholding the segregation of the freemen and the servant, he was taking a awfully hard line. I could not tell if he knew or if he cared that he was ticking off his servant pretty badly. I don't know if he was told he had to do that, no matter how it felt to him, or if he wanted to for historical accuracy, or if it was a power trip. I'd have expected that from the baptist minister governor, but not the professor. I'm not saying he should give the servant a say at the meetings, but telling him that only the freemen could go fishing, was a little rude.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I was flipping over to watch this during commercials, so I wasn't able to get the WHOLE scope of the show like the rest of you. But from what I saw, I enjoyed it. It's very interesting to watch the dynamics and stuggles.
    I'll do my best to catch this one.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I thought the dictate about only freemen being allowed to fish was a bit much, but did you see those guys "fishing?" Having a nap in the sun is more like it. And it took that many of them away from planting.

I too wonder how the minister/governor would have handled that. Probably no one should have gone fishing until the corn was planted, since they have plenty of rations. The huge vat of dried peas was pretty funny.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Also, did anyone else think that some of the men were just aching to put down a 17th-century foot and just tell the women their opinion didn't matter? They were beating around the bush but I think the two younger freemen especially just wanted the women to shut up and cook their meals.
    It seemed to me that the men who had wives who they had to go back and live with were the ones willing to let the women have it their way, while the single men were those aching to put their foot down.

I think it's interesting that the women and servants -- those with no voice -- are already finding ways to get around that (by listening under windows, for example). I suspect women at the time would have done the same thing.
    I think the assistant governor is trying so hard to be even-handed that he stinks at discipline. I don't think those boys would have gone swimming under the other governor, yet the professor merely gently chided them, if that.

If you look at the show's website on pbs.org, a new group will join the community later on. I don't know if that means the rest of the Wyers family does not return, or if they had always planned to have a new crop of settlers come later, as a real 1600's colony might have had.
    Last edited by Lucy; 05-18-2004 at 02:09 PM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Maveno, it is also re-run immediately after it airs on the same night. So in Phoenix, it first airs at 8 pm, and then is immediately aired again (same episode) at 10 pm. That's how I watched it last night because I was watching something else at 8.

MalibuPam, I definitely agree about the Vorhees mom. She keeps saying that she signed up for this so she wants to do it right but then in the next scene she is sobbing about it. She seems to be losing it a little. She gets on my nerves, but I think you're right that she will be an interesting one to watch, particularly since she's an atheist and doesn't seem to be too into the forced church thing.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    Maveno, it is also re-run immediately after it airs on the same night. So in Phoenix, it first airs at 8 pm, and then is immediately aired again (same episode) at 10 pm. That's how I watched it last night because I was watching something else at 8.
    That's good to know! Last night I was getting all caught up in other stuff so I wasn't able to commit whole-heartidly. But this will honestly be on the top of the list of "must see" for me!

All of them going to "services" together..I thought, "Ugh! That would work my nerves".. but then after seeing that the preacher allowed everyone to speak about "why they decided to do this", I think it's a good place for everyone to "bond" and understand the whole thing.
    Like the guy said, "I don't believe in God, but I am here to show my support for community..etc.."... I think everyone being able to talk will help.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread