+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: "Colonial House" on PBS

I read somewhere that it was just for her show and Oprah won't be on the actual series. Oprah is just about to start here where I live so I'm curious to see the segment.

Popped in to see if there was a thread on this show, and here it was!

So Oprah showed clips on her show today? I remember her saying she wanted to try it when she was interviewing the families from Frontier House, but I don't know anything more, katkitty.

MalibuPam, that's interesting about G. & A. I thought Adrianne especially had really interesting reflections about the role of women in that situation. I also remember she made some really fantastic looking baked goods. Way more than I could come up with in her place! I was pretty turned off by the woman who kept going on and on about her, we've all met someone like that. At first it was just a little catty (yes, I laughed about having to give up the makeup) but eventually it just seemed obsessive and unhealthy.

Personally, I get all the personality conflict I need from shows like Survivor, and all the cattiness I can stand from the Bachelor. Hopefully they will have more about the experience and less "she wants to wear makeup so I'm better than her".
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

The entire Oprah show today was about her and Gail at the Colonial House community. I thought it was very interesting. Oprah couldn't get over the fact that the women didn't wear bras or panties, the fact that there was no toilet (I couldn't handle that either!), and all the flies that just covered the people and the food.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Personally, I get all the personality conflict I need from shows like Survivor, and all the cattiness I can stand from the Bachelor. Hopefully they will have more about the experience and less "she wants to wear makeup so I'm better than her".
    The irony about the makeup was that yes she did cry about it, briefly. She is one of those women who likes to face the world "put together." Nothing wrong with that; many women would not be seen dead without makeup. But she got over it and moved on, and spent the next 5 months in a frontier cabin. PBS put such a heavy emphasis on it that it seems like she was crying about it for weeks on end, and they set her up for the audience to dislike.

I also thought that Gordon's alcohol-making still was a stroke of genius, for a "period era item from home" that each person was allowed to bring. You could tell how biased the producers were against the Clunes, by the scathing, spitting disapproval in the narrator's voice when they came to that part. Gordon is a sucessful entrepreneur with an MBA and it showed, when he distilled a berry liquor to trade at the store. I thought it was brilliant.

I understand about the makeup. For me I could forego the makeup, but reality would have hit when not allowed to bring my favorite shampoos. I mean, what happens to your hair if you can't take care of it for weeks? I could never do any of these shows where they don't get to bathe or eat normal food.

Seriously, what does happen to your hair?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I thought that was a fantastic episode tonight. That is what reality TV can be.

Some random thoughts:

I can't imagine living in that environment for a few months and am amazed at how well they are doing so far. Going to the bathroom with leaves as toilet paper - wow!

The governor who left with his family seemed to be doing a relatively good job so far, it will be interesting to see how is return influences the community. I wonder if the rest of his family will return as well.

It seems that the slaves have it easier than the freemen who have to sleep on the floor and cook for themselves.

Since I have not been to church in a number of years I can not imagine being forced to go to church for a few hours. It will be neat to see how the atheist family deals with the more religious members of the community.

Can not wait for the next episode tomorrow.

I thought it was a great episode, too -- I couldn't tear myself away from it. I felt awful for the Wyers family.
    I think it will be really interesting to see how the women deal with their subservient position within the community, especially if the men decide to really treat them as they would in 1628. And the religious conflicts are thought-provoking as well. Can't wait for tomorrow night.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Newbie
    I missed the part when they Wyers left...can someone tell me what happened and why they left? Thanks!

Robyn
    ~Robyn~

The Wyers family left since, I believe, the oldest daughter's fiancee was killed in a car crash. They left as a family, but only the father has come back so far.

I think the Wyers had a son who was also injured in that crash.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread