+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UNC Charlotte senior to apear on "The One That Got Away"

UNC Charlotte senior to apear on "The One That Got Away"

Senior to appear on summer reality television dating series with alumnus

by Sebrina Colvin
    UT Staff Writer
    May 04, 2004

First there was Clay Aiken on "American Idol," then Kwame Jackson on "The Apprentice." Could the next big reality TV personality once again have a Charlotte connection?

UNC Charlotte senior Katie Gray hopes so. Gray takes a shot at love and reality TV stardom in “The One That Got Away” that premiers later this month. NBC’s new reality TV show is a high drama, high velocity version of “The Bachelor.”

Gray, a marketing major, is one of seven women seeking to win the affection of Skipper Kress, who some have called North Carolina’s “most eligible bachelor.”

What makes the show unique is the contestants are Kress’ ex-girlfriends attempting to rekindle their relationship. Also the meets, greets, dates and final selection are all done within the show’s two hours. Friends of Kress approached her last April to do the show, but Gray originally declined the opportunity.

“I was hesitant to do the show, because of the way you can be portrayed,” said Gray. However, she did agree to be a commentator for the reality show. While taping in L.A.,

Gray said she was once again asked by one of the producers to be on the show, and after speaking with her family and friends, she accepted the offer.

Kress is also a UNCC alumnus, has known Gray for four years after meeting through friends.

“When I was a freshman, Fat Tuesday was the hot spot and he was a bartender there,” said Gray.

The pair never seriously dated, but Gray decided to take a chance on the show. The confident 22-year-old graduates in May and felt that appearing on the show would be a unique opportunity.

Taping for the show took place last October in South Carolina with all the contestants living under one roof for a week. Gray was not familiar with any of the other women except one she knew from her current job at Have A Nice Day Café in downtown Charlotte.

Gray said the girls were not very competitive but “personalities did change once the cameras started rolling.”

Gray also said so far the experience is one she would definitely do again and that she is most worried about her own reaction to the show. Friends have been very supportive of her throughout the experience.

Silenced by producers not to give away the outcome of the show, Gray said viewers will have to watch the show for themselves. Gray is anxious herself.

“It’s going to be weird watching myself on TV … I think it will be cool,” said Gray. “My friends are more excited than I am.”

After a seven-month delay between the filming of the show and the actual airdate “The One That Got Away” is scheduled to debut on NBC May 31 at 9 p.m.
    http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/dis.../4097ef1eb6a54

[IMG]images/img/otga_gray.jpg[/IMG]

In Canada, when we refer to someone as a "senior" it means 65 or older. So I was very surprised to read the title of this thread! From her picture, she seems to be holding up very well.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    In Canada, when we refer to someone as a "senior" it means 65 or older. So I was very surprised to read the title of this thread! From her picture, she seems to be holding up very well.
    being Canadian, I know what you mean... too funny.

Anyway, thanks for the information John - she kind of resembles Tara from the current season of the Bachelor. Kind of.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    The "senior" reference is the same in the Unites States.. over 65!

She's cute.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I would hope that "senior" has a different connotation when it's prefaced by "UNC Charlotte", but apparently not.

Anyway, rather than discuss different countries' meanings of a word, I'll just say that I think she's a cutie, but I'm a little surprised that they "never seriously dated".

I'm from Charlotte NC..and I have never once heard anything about Skipper Kress so, apparently he isn't THAT sought after.
    ANTM 4 FAVS: MichelleBrittany

+ Reply to Thread