+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extreme Makeover 4-30-04 "Hot Hunks and Young Mamas"

Extreme Makeover 4-30-04 "Hot Hunks and Young Mamas"

Hey all! Welcome back to another episode of Extreme Makeover. Things have been switched up a little by revealing the first makeoveree in the first half hour! Can you believe it?! I’m think ABC was losing some viewers and decided to see if this new setup would help the show. So fasten your seat-belts everyone and keep your hands safely inside the ride at all times as we enter a new whirlwind of Extreme Makeovers.

Our first makeoveree is Mike, a 21-year-old car mechanic from Port Hueneme, CA. Mike takes old cars and refurbishes them into amazing racing machines. He just wishes his own appearance could be so easily made over. Mike thinks he’s a “freak” with his crooked yellow teeth, big ears, and horrible acne. He admits he’s a virgin and has only had one girlfriend and even that was only for a couple days! His one wish is to just look average and get a date.

Our second makeoveree is Kristina, a 25-year-old office manager from Marshville, NC. Kristina has always felt ugly. She hates her nose and can easily fit two fingers inside one nostril! She always felt insecure as an adolescent and sought approval in her boyfriends, which unfortunately let her to being pregnant at age 15. She now has extensive stretch marks on her stomach and sagging breasts from breast-feeding. Not helping matters, she is also legally blind and is forced to wear coke bottle glasses. She is most embarrassed about her teeth though. Because of tooth decay, she is missing her front four teeth and consequently has to wear dentures. She feels she looks more like a 65-year-old woman than a young 25-year-old mother of two. She was lucky to find a husband whom she calls her soul-mate. Because of her insecurity, though, Kristina and her husband got married in a courthouse because Kristina didn’t want to be the center of attention. She feels she’s not good enough for everyone to see. We’ll follow Kristina’s makeover journey a little later in the recap.

First we get to see Michael’s consultation with Dr. Harvey Zarem. Michael says he would like his ears pinned back and a bump taken out of his nose. Dr. Zarem tells Michael it will be easy to do, and he’ll even lessen the wideness of Michael’s nose to better fit his features. Michael says he is looking forward to going to the beach and being a chick magnet. He has a lot of ground to make up for since he’s been without a girlfriend so long.

Michael then heads over to see Dr. Dorfman for help on his teeth. Michael tells the doctor he feels like he has the teeth people buy to wear on Halloween. Dr. Dorfman only exaggerates the claim by telling Michael they are “far too yellow and he has enough gum tissue for five people”! Nothing like a nice supportive doctor to make you feel better. Luckily Dr. Dorfman will help Michael feel more confident with his smile by taking away gum tissue and setting him up with porcelain veneers.

Michael has two more consultations before he undergoes his makeover. He meets up with Dr. Ava Shamban to discuss his acne he’s had since he was 17. It appears on not only his face but also his chest and back. Dr. Shamban feels she’ll be able to help Michael achieve the clear skin he deserves. He also meets with fitness guru, Michael Thurmond. Mr. Thurmond says Michael just doesn’t look healthy and is actually underweight. He’ll not only do some weight training with Michael, but also start him on an appropriate diet to help him gain weight.

After Michael goes though all his surgeries and weeks of skin treatments and fitness regiment, he can’t believe the transformation that is already taking place. His nose is considerably smaller, his teeth are pearly white, and his skin is glowing. He also had an entire change in his diet by eating protein and carbohydrates every 2-3 hours. He gained 3 inches on both his chest and shoulders and gained a total of 18 pounds in muscle!

Next step for Michael is to improve his social skills with the ladies. For this he meets up with The Bachelor host, Chris Harrison. Hopefully Chris won’t tell him how to make out with 12 women at one time and then just hand them a rose when it’s over. The two meet in a local restaurant. Chris advises Michael he doesn’t need to treat every conversation or meeting with a woman as if she’s the one he’s going to marry. If he puts less pressure on the situation he’ll feel much more relaxed. Michael tries this new concept on a woman sitting at the next table, and winds up giving his number by the end of the conversation. Hopefully he’ll find the same kind of success once he heads back home with his new look.

After some new clothes shopping with Sam and a new hairstyle, Michael is ready for his reveal. He has never felt so hot. He arrives in his hometown in a styling Shelby Cobra. As he jumps out, his friends and family are amazed at his new transformation. Even I think he looks amazingly hot and shouldn’t have any trouble getting a date now.

Michael received a nose job, his ears pinned back, laser skin treatment, photodynamic therapy, acne surgery, chemical peels, laser hair removal, lip and gum repositioning, ZOOM whitening, 16 porcelain veneers, and 18 pounds of new muscle. Michael says he has a new look, new confidence, and nothing is holding him back now.
    [IMG]images/img/Michaelbefore.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/Michaelafter.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/Michaelafter2.jpg[/IMG]
    Now we return to our second transformation with Kristina. Her consultation begins with Dr. Anthony Griffin. She tells the doctor she would prefer her nose to be smaller. Dr. Griffin admits he has never seen a nose project out that far, but feels he’ll be able to give Kristina the button nose she desires. She also will have her breasts lifted and a tummy tuck to get rid of her stretch marks. Kristina tells us she’s not nervous, just excited and can’t wait to start the rest of her life.
    After her surgery, Dr. Griffin says the nose job was the surgery from hell. He had to shave 10 millimeters off her nose, which almost equals an inch! He says he can’t even put one finger in her nostril now, and Kristina might not even be able to pick her nose now. I’m sure she’ll be very disappointed with that news. After a couple weeks of recovery Kristina loves her new body and can’t wait to wear bikinis and low-rise pants.
    Before her transformation is done, Kristina receives LASIK eye surgery which has her going from legally blind to perfect vision. She will not have to wear her coke bottle glasses anymore. She also receives news from Dr. Dorfman that she will be able to get implants on her top teeth. Kristina cries at the news and is so grateful to have a perfect smile again. She won’t have to hide her dentures from people anymore.
    After Sam helps Kristina develop a more young, feminine, sexier style in her wardrobe, she’s off to get her hair styled and dyed a brighter blond. As she sees herself in the mirror, she screams with satisfaction and hugs everyone around who has helped her with her transformation.
    Although she is nervous for her reveal, she feels more confident and is able to be the center of attention now. She finally feels 25-years-old. As she is revealed, her friends scream with delight and applaud her new look. Her husband thinks Kristina looks even more beautiful than before.
    Kristina received a nose job, chin contouring, upper lip scar revision, a breast life, tummy tuck, photodynamic therapy for acne rosacea, LASIK eye surgery, 6 porcelain veneers, 5 immediate implants, and 2 perfect bridges.
    [IMG]images/img/Kristinabefore.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/Kristinaafter.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/Kristinaafter2.jpg[/IMG]
    Before the show closes, Kristina’s husband takes the opportunity to reaffirm his vows in front of all their friends and family. Something they didn’t get to do when they first got married. He then presents Kristina with a ring to signify their new beginning. Kristina tells him he’s the man of her dreams.
    And that concludes this Extreme Makeover. I think I’m going to enjoy this new setup since it doesn’t seem to jump around so much between the makeovers. Join us next week for our finale as we get to see one of Dr. Phil’s Weight Loss Challenge contestants get a whole new look.
    To contact the author of this article send email to greenie@fansofrealitytv.com
    If you would like to apply for an Extreme Makeover click here for an application. DO NOT send your application to fansofrealitytv.com as WE ARE NOT affiliated with ABC or Extreme Makeover.
    E-mail to ABC regarding Extreme Makeover, can be sent directly to ABC's Audience Relations Department at netaudr@abc.com
    Last edited by Ilikai; 04-30-2004 at 10:57 AM.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I have to take my hat off to you for even being able to sit through the show, greenie.
    I can't watch anything with scalpels and slicing, except CSI because it's not real.

Mike thinks he’s a “freak” with his crooked yellow teeth, big ears, and horrible acne. He admits he’s a virgin and has only had one girlfriend and even that was only for a couple days! His one wish is to just look average and get a date.
    Is it completely pathetic that I find that upsetting?
    Calling himself a freak, so sad.

Kristina has always felt ugly. She hates her nose and can easily fit two fingers inside one nostril!
    I just can't get over that visual, ugh!

Next step for Michael is to improve his social skills with the ladies. For this he meets up with The Bachelor host, Chris Harrison. Hopefully Chris won’t tell him how to make out with 12 women at one time and then just hand them a rose when it’s over.
    Robohost a dating expert? I think not.

I think they both look great, but Mike's transformation in particular amazes me.

Great job, greenie
    "That's Numberwang!"

POD
    FORT Newbie
    i heard thru a friend that this was the highest rated episode ever. it helps to have really good characters who can tell an interesting story.

+ Reply to Thread