+ Reply to Thread

Thread: And the lucky winners get ... a baby

And the lucky winners get ... a baby

Further proof that Barbara Walters has turned into the Barnum & Bailey of journalism, this appeared in USA Today:

Barbara Walters has apologized for an ABC News weekend promo for Friday's 20/20 dealing with adoption. Viewers objected to the promo, which attempted to tap into the reality-show craze by saying that five couples would ''compete'' to adopt a 16-year-old's baby.

''You know what the bad word was? 'Compete,' '' Walters said Wednesday on The View. ''A promo promotes to make you want to watch. . . . Promos sometimes get a little heated, and we made a mistake.'' It has since been redone.

Walters noted that 20/20 has a long history with this subject, reporting stories on Cambodian orphans and Romanian adoptions, as well as Walters' own special on her adopted daughter, Jackie.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I'm appalled at this "competition." I'm even more shocked that Barbara Walters would have the audacity to host this show. Reality tv has gone too far...this baby did not sign up to be the prime subject on national television much less have his adoption up for public viewing. Pesonal affairs should be kept private especially when the people involved are not of age to make that important decision.

Fort Member
    There is a show on Hallmark here from I think the States called Adoption. It shows the ups and downs of couples wanting to adopt and follows them through it. Surely this is similar only from the Birth mothers perspective. I know the word compete makes it sound like some sort of competition but thats really what it has become. There are so few babies put up for adoption these days that the birth mothers can now interview serval prospective parents before making a decision and the perspective parents are all trying to ultimately impress so as to basically win the right to adopt the child. I think that it sounds like its a documentary type report rather than a reality TV show. IMO dont believe Barbara Walters would be involved in anything that would have people proving they could light a fire or eat bugs just to stay in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda
    There is a show on Hallmark here from I think the States called Adoption. It shows the ups and downs of couples wanting to adopt and follows them through it. Surely this is similar only from the Birth mothers perspective. I know the word compete makes it sound like some sort of competition but thats really what it has become. There are so few babies put up for adoption these days that the birth mothers can now interview serval prospective parents before making a decision and the perspective parents are all trying to ultimately impress so as to basically win the right to adopt the child. I think that it sounds like its a documentary type report rather than a reality TV show. IMO dont believe Barbara Walters would be involved in anything that would have people proving they could light a fire or eat bugs just to stay in the running.
    I hope it's more like your version which is appropriate...but from the preview and the word compete...I saw controversy and scandel! Hopefully, it's like you said...a documentary with good intentions.

Hmmm do we think this "reality craze" might be going a little to far there Babs?

I belive I heard Babera Walters on the view talking about how everyone is jumping to conclusions about the show without even seeing it. Babera only had amazing things to say about the woman who puts her baby up.

...Alrighty then.

+ Reply to Thread