+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Swan, 4/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey
    This is now the third episode that I have watched and they really do seem to be making them all look a little too similar.

I think that FOX is creating a secret race of Stepford wives. LOL

I think it probably has to do with the fact that they are all having the surgery simultaniously (in order to have all the episodes ready to run in concurrent weeks) and the surgeons are the same with each woman.

Each surgeon probably has his "signature" nose, signature boobs etc. Look at the Jackson family, they obviously all had the same surgeon who gave them all that ridiculous nose.

The work-out guru is running them through the same boot camp, targeting the same "quick fix" cosmetic muscle areas - the same way they do when they need to "bulk-up" a movie star for a role very quickly.

The make-up lady has her certain way of doing everyones make-up different, yet the same and so on...

Did anyone else notice last night that there seemed to be some tension between the two surgeons when they were working on Beth?

The one doctor came out and said to the other during the surgery "One reservation I have is, look at the size of my wand compared to yours" (i bet that line could wind-up in the "out of context quotes" thread). His lipo wand was the size of a knitting needle and the other guy's was the size of a vaccum hose by comparison. So they didnt appear to agree on how agressive to go at her liposuction.

I have also noticed that whichever contestent has the biggest "freak out" in front of the mirror at the unvailaing seems to be the winner. The ones who cry and scream and cling to the mirror seem to have won each time while the woman that has a less dramatic reaction has gone home. Though this could easily be because the winner really did have the more dramatic make-over.

Its a good - although some what disturbing - show. FOX really likes to play up the "messed up life at home" angle with these women and it almost backfires because you wonder if this is really what they need at this point in their lives.

I'm pretty sure that the differences in size of the lipo wand (a cannula) was due to the fact that the plastic surgeons were applying two different liposuction techniques to Beth at the same time.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl70
    Also, Averagejane....what did your husband say when you asked him?
    Sorta shrugged and said a nose job wouldn't hurt Kathy.

(and as far as having the plastic surgery - hell yes, sign me up!)

at Stepford wives...
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular
    I think this is a really sad little show in a lot of ways. These girls have very bad self-esteem issues that arent going to go away over night regardless of how pretty they become on the outside. I think its a little strange to want to totally change your appearance. Both of those girls were not ugly by any stretch to begin with and could have improved there appearance significantly with much less plastic surgery. Get in the gym, learn how to use makeup, fix up your hair,dress a little my stylishly all those things would have made them much more attractive. After taking care of simple things like that if something was still really bothering them like the one girl's nose bothered her then you fix that with plastic surgery. The two girls last night do not resemble the people they were at all after the surgery. Someone close to them could walk right past them on a street and not know who are they are. That is creepy to me. Hopefully this will improve these girls lives significantly I just find the whole idea distasteful to a degree and if they think three months of therapy is going to be enough for some of the girls I think they are really kidding themselves. It doesnt matter if your pretty on the outside if you feel ugly on the inside.
    Last edited by Brannigan73; 04-27-2004 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan73
    I think this is a really sad little show in a lot of ways. The two girls last night do not resemble the people they were at all after the surgery. Someone close to them could walk right past them on a street and not know who are they are. That is creepy to me. .
    I'm worried that Beth's little boy won't recognize her and it could really freak him out.

And if they're going to compare the before and after: how about "beforing" them in a glamour shot (make up, hair, gown) as well? Or "aftering" them in casual every-day clothes? The high drama is just too much for me.

I also have wondered how their children react to the changes. Some of them are almost unrecognizable. This crew of doctors, therapists and the others are a little creepy to me. Last week one of the plastic surgeons was irritated because the patient wouldn't let him do as much surgery as he wanted to. How sick is that?

On Extreme Makeover, they film the family reaction to the person's makeover, and I've never seen the kids bothered or upset Probably they are told that mommy/daddy will look different but that they're still the same person and still love the kiddies the same as they ever did, etc., etc. Or maybe the little ones get a preview of their parent, who knows. My 5 year-old can certainly tell when I'm dressed and made-up to go out, and she definitely approves of me when I look pretty

Kids are pretty adaptable to stuff like that, I think. They're probably just glad to have mom or dad home again.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    why is it that the reveal scene in this show always reminds of the bruce campell scene in escape from LA?
    "the hurrier i go the behinder i get" - a wise third grade shop teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    It's just annoying how they always suggest breast implants when they don't really need it!
    It irritates me how people just assume that implants are completely safe. Your body can reject them causing all types of problems. When the people on these shows are told that they are getting implants, they are like "OK!" They don't even give it a second thought.
    There is no way that I would put a foreign object into my body.

FORT Fogey
    That is so true that implants are pretty much part of the standard make-over package.

They also always call it "augmentation" - which to me sounds like simple reduction, lifting, reshaping or liposculpting the existing breast without introducing a foriegn body.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast