+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (05/16) The Powells

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (05/16) The Powells

THE "EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION" TEAM PROVIDES THE RIGHT MEDICINE FOR A YOUNG MAN WHOSE HOUSE WAS MAKING HIM SICK, MAY 16 ON ABC

"Powell Family" - It wasn't easy for Carrie Powell to bring relief to her younger son, Keenan, who suffers from a rare cell disorder, asthma, as well as allergies. It was all made worse by the dust and living mold in their Arleta, California home. Doctors told Carrie that Keenan wouldn't live to see his first birthday. Determined to not give up hope, Carrie, a florist by trade, turned to her herb garden to help Keenan deal with his diseases. Keenan beat the odds and is now a strapping 16-year old who wears a size 15 shoe and stands at 6 feet tall. Keenan has been able to keep his health in check, but keeping the house hypo-allergenic for him has been a problem. So, the team of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," in an episode airing on SUNDAY, MAY 16 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET), made a house call. Their mission was to prescribe the right antidote for Keenan by eradicating the black mold and providing a healthy, new environment for the entire family.

While the divorced Carrie learned to grow her own medicinal herbs for Keenan, she lost job after job because she had to take time off every time Keenan was admitted to the hospital. In addition to caring for Keenan and her older son, Chris, now 25, she couldn't keep up with the expenses of constantly fixing things in the house that made Keenan sick. Before Chris leaves for military duty in the Middle East, he wanted to make sure his mom and little brother would be well taken care of and the house be no longer toxic to Keenan.

In a race against time on a project that would ordinarily take four months to achieve, the top priority of the designers, contractors and 100 workmen was to make the house free of dust and mold. While the Powell house underwent a total transformation in just seven days -- with every single room, plus the exterior and landscaping, being made over -- Carrie, Keenan and Chris went on a vacation to New York.

The design team for this episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" features team leader Ty Pennington, Dawson Connor, Alle Ghadban, Paige Hemmis and Michael Moloney.

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. The series is executive produced by Tom Forman and Craig Armstrong.

This program carries a TV-PG parental guideline.

I am excited for this one. It is great that the mom and son, who was only supose to live past 1, has grown up and is now 16. Now the EM team is coming in to help even more.

Just a reminder it is on tonite.

Oooh! Thanks for the reminder! Can't wait to chat about it tomorrow morning!

Have a nice time watching tonight.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I thought the house looked amazing. The basketball court was a nice extra touch.

FORT Fan
    Hi,

As always, another great episode. I got teary eye when the younger son saw his room that Ty "built" for him.

I wondered how the big basketbal was approved by the local zoning. As a planner student, I know that the local city council in my town would not approve the basketball court due to zoning bylaws.
    Last edited by paulstan; 05-16-2004 at 11:10 PM.

THey added some very nice touches to this home and I thought the family was very deserving.
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

This one made me bawl at the reveal. The younger son was so excited. And, I loved the basketball court. The Globetrotters was a nice touch.

Very nice house. Its weird because when you look to the two houses beside it, this one looks so out of place. The one thing that bugged me about this was the mom kept saying "Oh, my, god" really loud, over and over. Please tell them not to constantly say this. It got annoying really quick. But other than that, the kid crying is his room was a sad/happy moment. The basketball court was a really nice touch to it. And is it just me or is this turning into the Michael show? Him and Ty seem to be getting the same amount of camera time.

I loved this show, but have one question. Was anyone else expecting more? I mean, this is the season finale, right? And Ty asked her about medical bills, she said, "We had to sell a car to pay the medical bills, and we're still paying" or something like that.

I was completely expecting a new car, or for ABC to pay all the medical bills. It seemed odd that they showed that conversation and never resolved it.

I had mold in my apartment earlier this year. It's stinky, and it made one of my kittens sick. And impossible to clean. And I'm pretty sure my apartment complex just painted over part of it, so if I suddenly get sick and die, y'all know why.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

I thought ABC or Sears would pay some or all of the medical bills, too! Hmmm ... I think next week's episode (Cadigan-Scott) will be the 90-min. season finale. I'm soooo excited to see that one!

This family's home makeover was great. The house was very out of place in the neighborhood. I'm not a huge fan of the Moroccan style, but it seemed to be a perfect fit for the mom. That was nice.

Personally, Michael annoys the heck outta me! I'm tired of seeing him get so much air time. I feel he's jealous of Ty and seems to be competing with him in some way. Do they always have to tease us with "We're just not gonna make it on time!" That's getting a bit old.

The piano was gorgeous! Really nice touch. And when the younger son first saw his room and started bawling, well .... there I went, too .... It was so sweet!

(Part of me was thinking, though, if all this mold was making her son so sick, why didn't she just sell the house and move into an apartment for a few years until his health settled down?)
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast