+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (05/16) The Powells

The only part of this show I saw was when they did the reveal to the younger son. I thought it was very touching how he bawled upon seeing his room. Then, the garage basketball court, and THEN the Harlem Globetrotters. How great for those boys.

Okay, one thing I thought was hilarious last night, when Ty was showing them the house he said, "And look at these beautiful Persian rugs. Michael picked them out at Sears for you."

Of all the things in that house that came from Sears, he points out the persian rugs??
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

I love watching this show, and last night had yet another deserving family. The house was quite a drastic difference. The outside of the house was not exactly my taste, but the family seemed to love it. I really loved the living room and kitchen though. And I agree with others, I was hoping they would help them somehow with paying off the medical bills.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Wenders
    Okay, one thing I thought was hilarious last night, when Ty was showing them the house he said, "And look at these beautiful Persian rugs. Michael picked them out at Sears for you."

Of all the things in that house that came from Sears, he points out the persian rugs??
    You mean that isn't where Persians get their rugs?

I always say "Tonight I'm not going to cry at the end of the show."
    And I'm always wrong.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

on vacation
    I love this show. I watch every week. I love the before and afters. But one thing kind of bugs me. I know a lot of these families are very deserving of this but some of them are...pigs. There have been a couple of times when the house was just filthy and this episode was one of them. They had dishes piled up and the house was really messy. I think I'd be humiliated to be on national TV if my house looked like that.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaminginblond
    I love this show. I watch every week. I love the before and afters. But one thing kind of bugs me. I know a lot of these families are very deserving of this but some of them are...pigs. There have been a couple of times when the house was just filthy and this episode was one of them. They had dishes piled up and the house was really messy. I think I'd be humiliated to be on national TV if my house looked like that.
    I've noticed that on quite a few of the episodes as well. It makes me wonder if they will take care of the new home any better. Let's hope so.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
    I thought ABC or Sears would pay some or all of the medical bills, too! Hmmm ... I think next week's episode (Cadigan-Scott) will be the 90-min. season finale. I'm soooo excited to see that one!

This family's home makeover was great. The house was very out of place in the neighborhood. I'm not a huge fan of the Moroccan style, but it seemed to be a perfect fit for the mom. That was nice.

Personally, Michael annoys the heck outta me! I'm tired of seeing him get so much air time. I feel he's jealous of Ty and seems to be competing with him in some way. Do they always have to tease us with "We're just not gonna make it on time!" That's getting a bit old.

The piano was gorgeous! Really nice touch. And when the younger son first saw his room and started bawling, well .... there I went, too .... It was so sweet!

(Part of me was thinking, though, if all this mold was making her son so sick, why didn't she just sell the house and move into an apartment for a few years until his health settled down?)
    The houses that they re-do are always too nice for the area once they are finished. The only exception that I can even think of was the one out in New Mexico or Arizona (can't recall) that was out on a bunch of land with no other houses around it.

I also agree that the whole "we're not gonna make it on time" thing is getting tiresome.

Regarding "why didn't they just move" - my mother in law made the same comment, which kind of annoyed me, b/c she has LOADS of money & could afford to do just that if something like that happened to her, but we need to remember, this woman had lots of medical bills, so she probably didn't any money in savings for a down payment, & quite possibly her credit was shot to hell b/c of the medical bills.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Let me please preface this by saying I'm not being argumentative at all, just want to clear something up quickly.

Actually, I didn't say "Why didn't she just move?" I said "Why didn't she just sell the house and move into an apartment for a few years until his health settled down?" which assumes the fact that she would be able to pull equity out of the house to not only help with the move, but she could probably live for a while on it and/or pay off some of the medical bills, too. It's just my personal opinion, though. Being a mother of two teens myself, I'd beg, borrow, or steal to save my child's health (and I certainly know I'm not alone).

Regardless, I absolutely LOVE this show and couldn't be happier for the families!!!!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12