+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo Agency Files Suit Against Sci Fi Channel Reality Show

Voodoo Agency Files Suit Against Sci Fi Channel Reality Show

Voodoo Agency Files Suit Against Sci Fi Channel Reality Show

By Kevin Eckstrom
    Religion New Service

Apr. 5--(RNS) A Voodoo-certifying agency in Philadelphia has sued the Sci Fi Channel, demanding that a "questionable" Voodoo priestess be removed from a reality TV show.

The National African Religion Congress, which claims to represent 5,000 authentic "priests and priestesses of varying African-derived religions," said Voodoo rituals shown on the "Mad Mad House" reality show are inauthentic and offensive.

The cable network's show places 10 guests in a house supervised by five "Alts"--a naturist named Avocado, a Wiccan, a vampire, a Voodoo priestess and a "modern primitive." Guests are eliminated if they fail various rituals overseen by the "alts," and the last one standing wins a $100,000 jackpot. "Our guests live out a `Survivor' meets 'The Real World' meets 'The Osbournes' lifestyle--and try to get along living under one roof together," according to the show's Web site.

George Ware, president of the Philadelphia group, said in a March 31 statement there is "serious evidence" that the show's Voodoo priestess, Iya Ta'Shia Asanti, is illegitimate. He said botched rituals left followers "disgusted and equally furious."

"The Congress asserts that the practices have no basis in the Voodoo religion and that Asanti's authenticity as a priestess of any African-based religion is questionable," according to a press release.

The group filed suit, seeking an injunction to keep episodes featuring Asanti from airing. Federal District Court Judge Anita Brody ordered the two sides into negotiations, according to a press release, and "those talks are still under way."

Ware said he contacted Asanti about her credentials and she responded, "I am a priestess of all African traditions by way of the blood that flows through my veins. I am Voudoun, Ifa, Candomble, Santeria, Lukumi and Yoruba. My initiation began in the womb and included the traditions of all of these indigenous practices."

Ware said certification involves initiation by a senior cleric and at least seven years of apprenticeship. He said Asanti improperly berated one of her "guests" for not being sufficiently "Afro-centric."

A spokeswoman for the Sci Fi Channel and its parent company, Universal Television Networks, was not immediately available for comment. The show debuted on March 4 and airs Thursday at 9 p.m. ET.
    http://www.beliefnet.com/story/143/story_14394_1.html

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    That's funny!! I never really thought her or Fiona (sp?) are really who they say they are. But to file suit, or whatever...comeon! I can go on television and pretend to be a cop, doesn't mean the cops have the right to sue me cause I'm NOT really one.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Good, I didn't like her.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Good, I didn't like her.
    Yeah, she's related via the green universal blood of money $$$$.

Well this just sucks. Next thing you know, all the real vampires will be suing Don.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Well this just sucks. Next thing you know, all the real vampires will be suing Don.
    Exactly Qboots!

"I am absolutely outraged!! Avocado claims to be a naturist, but yet, all of us here in the Naturist Undertaking Domestic Everywhere organization can cleary see if he truly were someone who followed N.U.D.E.'s guidelines, he would be buck naked ALL THE TIME!! He is so a fraud and we would like to sue for tons of money to spend on clothing. Which we of course will not wear. Since we are buck naked... ALL-OF-THE-TIME!"

But then again, maybe they truly are offended with her rituals and don't see them as authentic.

I do not have puppet canc KimmiSue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    I don't know if anyone has visited Sci-Fi's message boards, but they have really stirred up the weridos..Vampires have a big secret society & he (Don) is in big trouble for going public. (the guy who did his teeth won't fix them anymore.. according to one poster) The people on that message board are serious, one woman acussed him of stealing magic from the world & asked if he was going to go point out all the elves & the werewolves.

I just don't know what to say...so I just lurk there in shock.
    You turned my boss into a frickin puppet!..Gunn

The people on the Scifi MMH bboard irritate me.

They create multiple posts, talk about stupid things....just urgh.

For example, when I first went, there were about...hm....10 different SEPARATE topics that said stuff like, "I love Don" "Don is hot" etc.

Yesterday, a girl posted how 'hurt' and how her 'heart exploded' when she found out Don had a girlfriend (Gina)

That's funny! I am a reality show addict..I can admit that now. But for the life of me, I've NEVER been able to understand how [people] get sooooo involved in these contestants. (ie; falling in love, crying, mad, etc...) I have opinions on everything, but to get personally attached is very odd imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast