+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scott Helvenston (Combat Missions) killed in Fallujah

FORT Newbie
    I watched every episode of CM, and it gave me a picture of what these guys do every day, putting their lives on the line to serve and protect the american people. I cant believe that these stupid arse militants would do what they did. They need to be executed in a very cruel fashion that makes them suffer for their crimes against humanity.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    There is an article in Time magazine that explains what Scott and the other security members went through. It explains why there were there and also how they treated their corpses. For anyone who has a weak stomach, it is not something I recomend. I thought I would be able to handle it, but it just made things worse for me. We owe it to our boys over there to support them all the way and to PRAY for their safe being
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

That's really sad. His kids should be proud, their dad's a hero!

Hmm... what is that show he was on? I've never heard of it.

Combat Missions was a reality-tv show created by Mark Bernett (Survivor) and hosted by Rudy Boesch (Survivor). It aired like almost 2 years ago. The contestants were non-active Navy SEALs, SWAT, CIA, Marine Recon, Delta Force, and Green Berets. The objective was to have squads use their strengh, skills, and knowledge to complete military-style missions. The winning team advanced to the final, in which the remaining men competed until one man emerged as the ultimate winner.

It was an awesome show, but unfortunately, it aired in the USA channel, and they didn't do a good job promoting it.

Here is a link for more info:
    http://www.usanetwork.com/series/combatmissions/

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Scott touched many lives that I don't think he was even aware of. Scott was buried Tuesday at Florida National Cemetery.

Horrific images hit home.

by John King

On the night of March 31, the news footage from Iraq began with a shaky camera shot of Fallujah. The scene was that of a 20-something man waving his right hand in the air. He was screaming something that was, more likely than not, anti-American.

Weve seen similar images before, but the significance of this video was about to change for the worse -- and me along with it.

As the camera panned away from this man, it went toward a crowd of bobbing Iraqi heads before settling on a blazing inferno. I was already starting to get a bad feeling, but then I saw it: a body, missing some appendages and charred from the intense heat of a car fire, being dragged through the streets by a rejoicing mob.

Now, we already know this footage ends with strategically sanitized, blurred photos at "the bridge."

I've lived through some very intense experiences, but my eyes welled up and I felt a lump in my throat. I asked myself how could anyone desecrate another human being -- or even animal, for that matter -- like this? Regardless of race, religion, color or creed, this is -- or was -- someone's son or daughter. How much hatred must be inside someone to make an act like this possible? Morbidly, I began to wonder, "Who were those burnt bodies?"

As more information was released, I felt the same sickness in my stomach that I had when I lost a friend in the 9 /11 attacks. Unfortunately, my intuition was right.

One of those listed as a casualty in the Fallujah attack was Scott Helvenston, a 38-year-old former U.S. Navy SEAL, fitness instructor, actor and stuntman.

He was also a long-distance friend.

I first spoke with Scott when I called the phone number listed on the box of his original Navy SEAL Elite Fitness Program videos, which I had purchased to augment my training. Imagine my surprise when, from the other end of the phone, a voice said, "Hello, Scott Helvenston here. How can I help you?"

Instead of some operator, I had the real live Navy SEAL from the video cover right there to assist me! Scott brought this dedication to whatever he did.. He was energetic, informative, very forward and alive in a way that made him seem to crackle with electricity. He answered all of my questions and also asked me about myself and my training. Intrigued by this unique individual, I knew we would talk again.

Early in his life, Helvenston lost his father in an accident. He enlisted in the Navy when he was 17 years old and became the youngest graduate of the elite SEAL program, continuing his accomplishments as an instructor during a distinguished 12-year career. Upon retiring from the Navy he created his own company, Amphibian Athletics, which offered boot-camp-style training courses for civilians and business people that focused on mental toughness, physical strength and teamwork. He trained Demi Moore into amazing shape for the movie G.I. Jane and also had a role in that movie as, what else, a SEAL instructor. Privately, he spent time with his wife and two children.

In a later phone conversation, he and I discussed different fighting styles and workout routines along with some of the professional instructors who teach these programs. He was adamant about effectiveness and reality in one's training situations. I didn't know it then, but that would be our last conversation.

Though I wasn't in touch with him again before his death, I encountered Scott's brutal honesty, energy and dedication again, this time on a reality TV program called Combat Missions. He gave a totally over-the-top performance as a macho soldier working toward specific tactical goals with teams of other professionals from the military and law enforcement. After this show ended, he grew tired of Hollywood and began working for a high-level company called Blackwater Security Consulting, which deals with the very same "dangerous real-life situations" upon which the TV show was based. When asked about Scott's decision to go to Iraq, Mark Burnett, a producer of Combat Missions (and Survivor), was quoted by the Inquirer as saying, "That's what, in a time of need, true American warriors like Scott would do."

Blackwater ended up giving him his ticket to Iraq, and the rest of the story is now history.

But what of the bigger picture? When asked about the desecrations in Fallujah, one Iraqi said it did not matter who those bodies were or, for that matter, what happened to them because the rage was toward America and not those people in particular.

Well, it matters to me. I have lost a friend and America has lost a warrior..

I hope it matters to all of us, too, because we need to be one race -- the human race.

John King is CPs circulation director. If you would like to respond to this Slant or have one of your own (800 words), contact Howard Altman, City Paper editor in chief, 123 Chestnut St., third floor, Phila., PA, 19106 or e-mail altman@citypaper.net.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Newbie

helvenston

A protegee of Scott's family made a dedication page for him with his most recent photos during the last year of his life...thought you might like to see them...you can do a search under scott helvenston and its scottyandkel
    annie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12