+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Mar 28 - "Sweet Alice"

There were three daughters, I believe. The oldest normally lived across the street. The middle daughter moved in with the first daughter because of the flood damage. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rab
    I want a bed like that too lol. Heck, give me the whole room.
    Living in CA, I don't think I could handle a bed that moves every time I do. Fear of earthquakes, you know.
    My walls are painted purple

I was at the reveal on this episode! I think it's so cool that they did the community center, basketball court, and neighbor's yards.

As far as flooding goes, unless they are on the bank of a river, the city could do something to help it, it just might be expensive and time-consuming. Maybe this makeover will be a motivation to the citizens to demand it from their city!

I wonder if Preston would've liked the smoker in the back yard. As soon as she said she liked to barbecue, I was thinking, WOW, she's gonna get an awesome grill!
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

I loved the entire episode. I bet Sweet Alice loves that bright red monstrosity. She can feed a ton of people from her front yard and her kitchen. That lady deserves far more than she got. The entire neighborhood is a better place because of her generosity. I can just imagine how much more involved the community will get in her efforts because of this show. Hopefully the city will be shamed into repairing the flooding problem.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I hate product placement shows usually, but this was a real tearjerker so yeah Sears Good on ya. It's nice to see someone who has given so much, get something back. Not that the other EM families were undeserving, but this lady had just done so much.It's nice they gave the whole neighbourhood a facelift as well.

That is just the coolest BBQ ever.

a side note: Does it seem like the vacations are getting cheaper?

The first couple I saw, they went to disney world or the bahamas. Then one family went to Arizona. Now Sweet Alice goes to San Diego? I guess I'd rather them spend more $$ on the house than the vacation, but still..
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenders
    a side note: Does it seem like the vacations are getting cheaper?

The first couple I saw, they went to disney world or the bahamas. Then one family went to Arizona. Now Sweet Alice goes to San Diego? I guess I'd rather them spend more $$ on the house than the vacation, but still..
    I hadn't noticed this trend, but it does seem that way. I guess in a couple weeks, they will be sending the family up the road to a Best Western, with an XBox and a handfull of buy one get one free coupons to Denny's.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

I also was touched by the little girl's "Can I have this for Christmas?" I thought it was sweet that the boy prayed in thanks for abc, etc. for his jazz-themed room.

This family seemed to appreciate it so much. Other families have been sweet, and thrilled with the changes to their homes, but I thought poor ol' Ty would lose it when Sweet Alice started crying.

FORT Newbie

Sweet Alice Extreme Makeover

I just wish they would have put up some sort of way for people to send donations to that community center for sweet Alice. I would like to send a donation to her to help with the projects she does. I think if more people got involved in their neighborhoods the way she does, there would be less crime.

As far as putting the barbecue grill in the front yard, I think it was a cool thing to do. After all, she and her barbecues are the centerpiece of her neighborhood, why not have it out front. In the old days a lot of houses had front porches and kids played in the front yard, people visited with each other on the porch, sweethearts kissed on the porch swing, and life seemed simpler. Maybe if we all come out from behind our security gates and privacy fences and spend more time getting to know our neighbors, and get involved in our community, we can take back our front yards, and lower the criminal activity that seems so prevalent nowadays.

This was a great episode. They did so much, I wish they had made it a 2-hour show so we could have seen more of the results. I don't recall seeing the finished version of Alice's great-great-grandmother's secretary desk. Did I blink and miss it? Or was Paul too sick to finish it?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast