+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Free: March 21, 2004

FORT Newbie
    I really thought that the yellow team's room was so much better. The walls of the light blue team's kitchen were terrible.

I was so shocked when light blue won.

I think that the light blue team won because they were young and good-looking.

I'm so pleased John and Stacey won.

I actually preferred the kitchen Angel and Wilma designed, just more to my taste, I'm not really into those terracotta shades.

John and Stacey put so much thought and effort into their designs and executed them so well to.
    They certainly weren't afraid of hard work and were always so nice to each other too.
    I never saw them argue or even give each other a snide look.
    I think they're lovely and I'm so pleased that they won.

I have to admit, I find Wilma intensely annoying and was very suprised that they made it through the previous round, I thought the lilac team designed a far better living room than Angel and Wilma.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Regular
    Haha, I guess I love their theme. The whole Tuscan thing you heard Paige call it when they showed the finished room. It looked cozy and romantic. Something just didn't look right to me when they showed John and Stacey's room.

I kind of thought the yellow team lost some votes by their reaction. They seemed disappointed and they were so unenthusiastic. If that was their personality, then I wouldn't have expected it, but they were two boisterous people, and the fact that they stayed mum and barely said anything really turned me off.

I liked the kitchen Angel and Vilma did better, but then again, it was more of a "decorator" kitchen (exactly the kind you get when you go to Home Depot and the homogenized salespeople put together a suite of products for you). It was lovely and the kitchen I'd have preferred, but I think it showed they put less effort into things overall. In the end, it could have been the showroom kitchen in any builder's home. More color and more interesting tile/faucet/flooring choices could have made this room a lot more individual.

John and Stacy's work was more creative but not as attractive, IMO. The cabinets were awful - they could have done something better than that hideous veneer treatment that made the room look smaller and so rustic and that Venetian plaster treatment was completely and utterly wrong. John confidently said that yes, he knew how to do the technique, but doing it before and knowing how to do it right are two different things, obviously. It was way, way too thickly and unevenly applied and the tint was really unfortunate - something in a mellowed antique gold would have been stunning instead of that nasty red-brown-gray-tan stuff. Anyway, they still did more creatively than Angel and Vilma and I think they worked better with Frank than Angel and Vilma did with Doug..which brings me to why I think the blue team won.

Vilma was obnoxious, arrogant and snarky. She was rude to Doug (but then again, who isn't - and who isn't Doug rude to), rude to her husband and spent most of the show whining about one thing or another or prancing around in her over-tight jeans flipping her hair around. Angel seemed like a nice guy but he wasn't exactly Mr. Humble either. Vilma's reaction during the reveal of her kitchen looked like someone waved a dog turd under her nose. She couldn't have broadcast her disapproval any louder than if she'd have started whining about how ugly it was. I don't know if she really didn't like it or if she thought that undermining the result of the blue team's work would influence people to think that the kitchen her team did was better. I didn't like her throughout the show, but her reaction at the end sealed the deal for me.

On the other hand, John and Stacy apparently think they're some sort of design geniuses (is that genii?) They have fairly good ideas, moderately good execution, but very little in the way of knowing practically how to put design ideas together in a cohesive room and then properly accessorize it out. Their ideas always seemed to be what they wanted the HO to like, not what the HO's tastes were. It was like, "We have excellent taste and if you don't like it, yours sucks." I got that attitude, but maybe it could have been my irritation at the constant shots up Stacy's nostrils that was feeding me the evil thoughts.

I didn't personally like John and Stacy any more than I liked Vilma and Angel, but they did work harder and seemed to approach the projects with more enthusiasm and organization, so I guess the right team won.

I agree with pretty much everything you said pinkprincess.

I think the execution of the Venetian plaster technique was very poor.
    They suffered through losing Doug,that's his speciality.
    They didn't add enough depth of colour and didnt appear to burnish the plaster after the paint had been added.
    Even if you're going for a more rustic look burnishing is essential imo, it just makes it look more professional.
    It should also really be waxed to increase the longevity of the treatment and make it at least wipeable which is obviously important for a kitchen.

Vilma's reaction was very negative and I agree that could ahve lost her the vote with a lot of people.
    "That's Numberwang!"

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I thought John and Steacy should have been booted in the first round. I didn't like her or her attitude at all.

It must have been very hard for all of the teams to overcome the challenges thrown in their way , as some of them were really out there - especially the paint/ fabric ones.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff

I think the execution of the Venetian plaster technique was very poor.
    They suffered through losing Doug,that's his speciality.
    They didn't add enough depth of colour and didnt appear to burnish the plaster after the paint had been added.
    Even if you're going for a more rustic look burnishing is essential imo, it just makes it look more professional.
    It should also really be waxed to increase the longevity of the treatment and make it at least wipeable which is obviously important for a kitchen.
    Amen. You just put your finger on what specifically was bugging me about the plaster treatment but I couldn't figure out how to say. It completely lacked depth, which is only achieved through layers of sheer product application and elbow grease, not troweling the stuff on like frosting and swirling it around to be arty. The whole point is that it looks aged, with a glowing patina - it's the color and subtle variations in the surface that make it, not the gloppy faux-stucco look. Doug would have directed them exactly right, which is maybe what they intended when they decided to do the plaster in the first place. You'd have thought Frank would know better though, I'm sure with all of his faux painting expertise, he knows how to do it too. I wonder how much of it was John and Stacy just saying they know how to do it, keep your mitts to yourself, you know?

This was a weird TS promo thing, I hope they don't repeat it. I probably shouldn't gripe so much since I don't watch it regularly, but I wasn't fond of the whole setup of the thing from the beginning (who'd want 3 rooms in their house done by other people?).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12