+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extreme Makeover 3-17-04 "From Hawk to Hunk and Military Mama to Hot Mama"

Extreme Makeover 3-17-04 "From Hawk to Hunk and Military Mama to Hot Mama"

Welcome to another edition of Extreme Makeover. You're recap extraordinaire, Feifer, is on hiatus for a bit so I will be keeping you company and filling you in on all the latest makeovers.

Our first makoveree is Jerry Czerkasij from Tennessee. Jerry has always felt different from his brothers and sisters who have beautiful noses and chins. He says "I came late to the genetic buffet table and I got all the leftovers." Jerry doesn't feel very comfortable with his receding chin and hook nose. He says he was even nicknamed "Hawk" in high school. Jerry also had braces and a retainer when he was young, but when they were gone his teeth became crooked again. Jerry is a very funny guy but has felt he uses his humor to deal with the teasing he has received. He is married to a 22 year old wife and often gets mistaken for her father. He just would like to have more self confidence and a better chin!

Our second makeoveree is Captain Manu Yasuda. She hails from Alexandria, Virginia and is a career soldier along with being a mom. She feels that being in a male dominated profession, one develops a hardness inside. She has a very masculine look to her, and could even be mistaken for a man in her fatigues. She feels she is a beautiful woman inside, but it is not always portrayed on the outside. She is Polynesian but was adopted at 5 years old by a Caucasian family and has always felt she was different. She would like to keep the ethnic look in her face, but would also like to get a more symmetric look and a distinct nose. She also lost some size in her breasts from breast feeding, and her stomach is a little saggy from her pregnancy.

Once in L.A. Jerry meets up with Dr. Perlman for his consultation. Dr. Perlman says he can remove fat pads in Jerry's cheeks to give him a more chiseled face. He would also give him a nose job and chin implants to help with his profile. He also found one of Jerry's eyebrows to be lower than the other so he will raise one to give a more symmetrical look. Lastly he will perform liposuction around his waste, chest, and back to give him an overall thinner look. Jerry is feeling very confident, and since he is in the medical profession he knows what to expect and doesn't have much apprehension.

Manu also meets with Dr. Perlman for her consultation. Manu explains how she wants to keep her ethnic look to her nose, and Dr. Perlman says he can be conservative but give her a more polished look. He will also remove fat pads from inside her mouth to remove some of the fullness in her face. Manu also had surgery that removed one of her ovaries and left a big scar on her stomach. Dr. Perlman plans to give her a tummy tuck and remove the scar to fix her problems as well as give her a breast augmentation. Manu is very excited to start this journey and views this as a healing process.

While Manu and Jerry go for their Extreme Makeovers, Sam is on a mission to perform a mini makeover. He has selected Amanda Martin who is studying to be a high school art teacher and working in a pottery shop. Sam is going to try to get rid of Amanda's librarian look that she has adopted lately. When Sam meets up with her she has long dark blond hair along with glasses and baggy clothing. Sam's mission is to take one of Amanda's paintings of Audrey Hepburn and turn Amanda into a classy Eliza Doolittle. Amanda is extremely excited to update her look, and we'll get to see her process later in the show.

Meanwhile, it's time for Manu's operations. As Manu gets prepared for her operation, she gets very emotional as she realizes this is something she's wanted to do for so long and she knows she will never look at herself the same way again. Dr. Perlman is able to perform all the surgeries and everything goes as planned. Manu is then left to relax and re-cooperate from this major operation.

Jerry is also on his way for his surgeries. His face has been marked up with all the intended processes that will be performed. He makes one last call to his wife telling her he loves her and he's on his way. Along with the other surgeries that were planned, Jerry also has gum removal surgery as well as lip repositioning in an effort to improve his smile. He is then sent to the recovery room to begin re-cooperating from his surgeries.

As Manu and Jerry recover, we go back to Amanda's mini makeover. Sam takes her to an L.A. salon where they cut her hair to give it more shape as well as dye it a dark rich brown that accents her skin and facial features. She is then given a classic Audrey Hepburn up-do with makeup reminiscent of Audrey's look in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Sam also manages to find a beautiful black strapless dress and white gloves for Amanda to wear. After all the finishing touches are made, Amanda reveals herself to her family and friends. There is a lot of screaming and gasping as everyone notices the librarian look is gone and Amanda is gorgeous and elegant. Amanda says she loves her new look and it has given her a more open mind.

Meanwhile Jerry is in his recovery room and is finding himself at a very low point. He is by himself with bandages all over his face, his lips are swollen, and he made a little girl cry in an elevator. He's beginning to wonder if it's all worth it, but I guess there's no going back now. We see him a couple days later and he seems to be in better spirits. He heads over to Dr. Perlman's office to take off his bandages and get a glimpse at how his face is going to look. Dr. Perlman loves how his chin and nose turn out, and Jerry starts laughing and can't believe that he has a perfect little nose now.

Manu also meets with Dr. Perlman to get a peek at her face. Dr. Perlman feels her ethnic look isn't gone from her nose, but just has a more polished look to her face. Manu is shocked when she sees herself and just remains smiling at her new look. Dr. Perlman also looks at her stomach and the scar is gone and she has a beautiful completely flat stomach now. Manu is so grateful for her experience and Dr. Perlman's hard work. She gives him a clock from Hawaii as a thank you gift and says she's beginning to feel like a woman now.

To complete Jerry's smile, he meets up with Dr. Dorfman who performed the gum surgery and lip repositioning. He is given porcelain veneers to help fix his crooked smile and whiten his teeth. When Jerry takes a look in the mirror he is completely shocked and speechless. He says he can't even recognize the guy in the mirror. He tears up and hugs Dr. Dorfman for all his work.

Both Manu and Jerry miss their families a lot while they are away. Manu unfortunately misses her sons first birthday but gets to talk to him on the phone and send him her wishes. Jerry also misses his first Valentine's Day with his wife, but she sends him a special Valentine to help him get over his loneliness. He says he's very grateful to have such a beautiful wife that supports him.

After the surgery there are a couple more things both Jerry and Manu need to work on. First up is Jerry. About twenty years ago his arm got caught in a conveyor belt basically rendering it useless. Jerry meets up with fitness guru Michael Thurman in hopes of bringing some feeling back into his left arm. After two weeks worth of conditioning, he demonstrates that he used to only be able to lift 2 lbs in his left arm and is now able to lift 7 lbs! He says Michael was able to do what doctors and physical therapists gave up on.

Manu also has a new skill to learn. How to walk in high heels. She has never worn high heels in her life. Sam spends time with her teaching her to walk heel to toe when she has them on and look straight ahead. After some wobbling Manu starts to feel more confident and is able to look quite graceful in her new kicks.

Jerry heads over to see Dr. Malony for his LASIK eye surgery. He talks about the awfully big glasses he had to wear in the 60s even when he was a baby. After his surgery he can't believe how easily he can see everything. He comments that he might still be called Hawk but it will be for a different reason now.

Manu heads over to see dermatologist, Dr. Shamban, to help with her acne scars. Dr. Shamban uses a laser on her face to get rid of the scars. It takes about 4 to 5 minutes and is only slightly painful. Manu might need to come back a couple of times, but eventually her skin will look as polished as her new face and body.

Before their final reveal, both Manu and Jerry need to get some new clothes to go with their new bodies. Manu gets to have a dress designed for her. The designer and Sam pick out a beautiful salmon color satin for her dress to build up her Polynesian look. Her dress will be fitted on the top to accent her new breasts and smaller waste. When the final product is eventually revealed, Manu screams and says it's the most beautiful dress she's ever seen.

Jerry also receives a consultation with Sam on some new outfits. Sam tells him he should always pick two things he would never usually try on and buy one of them. Jerry really appreciates all the advice and says he's on a great learning curve.

Manu gets her hair dyed with a natural Henna dye and also receives a new treatment on her brows called "threading". Basically it uses a thread to pull out all the hairs and doesn't cause any rashes or redness and seems quite inexpensive at only $8. Jerry also gets his hair dyed, but not before getting a hair transplant to undo his balding. Unfortunately it takes 4 months to grow out, so he is fitted with a small weave for his final reveal.

Finally Manu makes her way over to her family and friends for her final reveal. She is excited to have her husband see her like when they first met and can't wait to show off her confidence. She is greeted with cheering and tears as she reveals herself. Her husband calls her his princess now. Manu received a nose job, fat pads removed from her cheeks, liposuction to her thighs, back, and chin, breast enlargement, a tummy tuck, a photo facial, laser hair removal, microdermabrasion, acne surgery, and ZOOM whitening.

[IMG]images/img/ManuBefore.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/ManuBefore2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/ManuBefore3.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]images/img/ManuAfter.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/ManuAfter2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/ManuAfter3.jpg[/IMG]
    After 40 years Jerry feels he looks the best he has ever looked. He reveals himself to his friends and family in a beautiful blue suit with striking orange shirt and tie. People are shocked and crying at his drastic change. His sister tells him he looks hot and his brother notices a deep contentment in Jerry now. Jerry received a nose job, chin implant, fat pads removed from his mouth, a lower eyelid lift, fat injections to the face, liposuction in his chest, stomach, and love handles, lip repositioning, gum surgery, fifteen porcelain veneers, and LASIK eye surgery.

[IMG]images/img/JerryBefore.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/JerryBefore2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/JerryBefore3.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]images/img/JerryAfter.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/JerryAfter2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]images/img/JerryAfter3.jpg[/IMG]

This completes another successful Extreme Makeover. Please join me again when we see ugly ducklings turned into beautiful swans.

If you would like to apply for an Extreme Makeover click here for an application. DO NOT send your application to fansofrealitytv.com as WE ARE NOT affiliated with ABC or Extreme Makeover.

E-mail to ABC regarding Extreme Makeover, can be sent directly to ABC's Audience Relations Department at netaudr@abc.com

For questions or comments on this article please send email to greenie@fansofrealitytv.com
    Who shot who in the what now?

Regarding Manu - I dont think she belonged on X/M. She didnt really have any noticeable changes made to her face that I could see, she just needed some make-up! She would have been an excellent candidate for a mini makeover! And to learn to walk in high heels on national tv...hats off to you, girl!

Regarding Jerry - WOW! Big change! I think X/M may have something with that hair thing. Reallllllly makes a big change. They also need to do more long term make-overs that focus on weight loss and then take care of the smaller flaws in the second shows. America is FAT. They can only do so many shows about bad noses and weak chins.

Great recap, Greenie! Thanks for covering the parts I can't watch. aboo

As far as Manu, I don't think her face was her most pressing concern. She expressed a lot of pain about her surgery scar. Her stomach transformation was amazing. Wow, I was blown away by the dress (especially the fabric and color). She looks great!

Jerry looked great too. In the final photos he looks like he's wearing too much makeup, but he's definitely a babe. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy, too (his family too).

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Great recap, Greenie! Thanks for covering the parts I can't watch. aboo

As far as Manu, I don't think her face was her most pressing concern. She expressed a lot of pain about her surgery scar. Her stomach transformation was amazing. Wow, I was blown away by the dress (especially the fabric and color). She looks great!

Jerry looked great too. In the final photos he looks like he's wearing too much makeup, but he's definitely a babe. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy, too (his family too).
    Personally, I thought that this episode of EX/M was absolutely the best one, especially because of Jerry. He was funny and poignant, articulate and witty. And of course, the makeover was EXTREME. There must be more of a story here with his wife, since we didn't hear from her at all following the reveal. This makeover made Jerry look ten to fifteen years younger. Great show.

www.amandablackwood.com redhead4304's Avatar
    I was actually the Mini Makeover on this exact episode... turned from artist to art work. It was a lot of fun, but I havent heard ANYTHING about it from anyone except those people I know personally. Maybe I just dont actuallly look like what they made me look like anymore? You be the judge... the picture is recent.
    www.amandablackwood.com

Congrats on the mini-makeover, Amanda. I think you look great.

I didn't see the episode, so I don't know what you looked like before & after the MM, though.

You look great, Amanda! Not hiding behind all that hair anymore.

P.S. I grew up in Redondo Beach, what a great place to live!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Wow! Thanks you guys! There... I posted a before and after picture for you. I'm so thrilled to have your thoughts! Thanks, you guys!

Amanda

P.S. Hepcat, what part of Redondo are you from? I live a mile south of the pier!
    www.amandablackwood.com

Wow... it's been quite some time since all this took place. My episode was on almost a year ago now, and my old comments can still be found on some of the other pages. This was always my fav though. I kept up with this one.

I'm now a model and actress, thanks to the EXM crew. I would just like to say a thank you to everyone out there for giving me what I needed - confidence.

Amanda Blackwood.
    P.S. I've changed again... all the hair is gone 'cept for about 3 inches!!! Check out my website to see what I look like now.
    www.amandablackwood.com

+ Reply to Thread