+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Pimp My Ride' Scores In the Ratings

eny
    FORT Fogey
    They must have to pass inspection , or that cool flames out the tail pipe rig wouldn't have had to be removed. They said they had to remove it because it wasn't street-legal, implying they wouldn't have passed said inspection.

As for the rigs that are in such poor shape when they roll in- they just must have not enough inspectors .

Fort Member
    Rumpskater y husband and I love this show and we are older than you. We found it by mistake one day which is the only way to find shows on cable here and now we are hooked. The things they do to the interiors with TVs and Video games and sound systems are amazing the kids could move into some of them. I did watch one that they replaced the whole car as the original was so unsafe it wasnt worth fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby
    They have the toughest one in the nation. And I have thought the same thing! The cars that are chosen would not remotely pass the inspection for California just from the looks of them. LOL!! No mirrors... busted seatbeats... no exhaust... missing windows... muchless having to pass that exhaust test for clean air.

I also got to wondering if the show was removing the stickers and plates to stop the general public being able to track down the winners address. So by some miracle they did have inspections on those ratty cars... the show removed them for protection of the owners home info.
    I have an idea for income for California: just let a few cops follow xzbit around. As soon as he drives off in a ratty car, they can give him tickets for just about anything!

Seriously, if he was stopped by the cops, wouldn't that take the plates and tow the car?

There is a difference between a car being old and crappy and it being unsafe. The show could set a standard that the car must have passed inspection before it can go on the show. Seat that are torn up, dents, horrible paint jobs, busted side windows covered with black plastic and general bad car design are not safety issues and they could still pimp out a safe car.

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    They must have to pass inspection , or that cool flames out the tail pipe rig wouldn't have had to be removed. They said they had to remove it because it wasn't street-legal, implying they wouldn't have passed said inspection.

As for the rigs that are in such poor shape when they roll in- they just must have not enough inspectors .
    Ditto. I think they all pass inspections or they'd never get on this show. Plus...even if they were inspection-unworthy pre-show, they've GOT to be "street legal" post-show. The goldfish bowl in the trunk MAKES it so.

It's sickening how much I like this show. Sickening. And I'm not that into cars. I'm just wowed by the whole ugly transformation. And I always want to see what unnecessary thing they jam in the trunk. A potter's wheel? A trampoline? A kiln? A game preserve? Didn't someone have an entire mini-recording studio in their trunk? Yeah. THEY won't be car jacked. Pffft.

I think I might like it because of all the shi crap cars I rode around in as a teen. Doors missing (true), filling up with exhaust (*cough* true, had to keep the windows rolled down. In Minnesota. In January. ), holes in the floor (true, had to put my feet on the glove box. ) Yada yada. But hey, it got us to McDonald's. Anyhow, wheeling around unsafely in a four-toned Patridge family-style Pinto, makes me appreciate someone ELSE's "smooth" ride being transformed.

Me likey.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    Ditto. I think they all pass inspections or they'd never get on this show.
    I don't see how a car with absolutely NO mirrors (as in the season premiere) can pass inspection.

Perhaps they don't NEED to pass inspection if post-show, they WILL be.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

Perhaps they don't NEED to pass inspection if post-show, they WILL be.
    But shouldn't any vehicle have mirrors? Doesn't that go beyond inspection? If a cop stops you and you are not wearing your seatbelt, you get a ticket. What if you have no seatbelt? Or mirrors? It seems that you'd have to get a ticket for that too. Which means it is illegal, even if you might have a valid inspection sticker in your window (the mirrors could have been torn off AFTER the inspection occured, but before a new sticker was needed).

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    But shouldn't any vehicle have mirrors? Doesn't that go beyond inspection? If a cop stops you and you are not wearing your seatbelt, you get a ticket. What if you have no seatbelt? Or mirrors? It seems that you'd have to get a ticket for that too. Which means it is illegal, even if you might have a valid inspection sticker in your window (the mirrors could have been torn off AFTER the inspection occured, but before a new sticker was needed).
    Yes, but my point is, they're making silk purses out of sow's ears here. They might not give a rat's butt if this or that little MTV viewer has been taking chances with the law on the roads pre-show. So who cares if they MacGuyver a dishwasher into a go-cart, as long as that go-cart passes inspection post-show? Maybe that's what they're thinking. I.e. maybe they don't care about a vehicle's history before the show, only after. I don't know. I like the show. Woot! The end. *bows*

Eta: you make valid points, though, Astro. It's unsafe. I'm just not sure they care.

Quote Originally Posted by estella_nyc
    I'm not a Californian, so I don't know much about their inspection process, but I know that in other states (specifically NY and NC, where I've lived) it's easy to pass inspection if you go to the right place. Some inspection places will give out stickers without even looking at the car, some you have to pay extra for it, and in some cases it's who you know. There's a good chance that that happens in California too.

Don't say that to loudly you never know.
    In California you can only have you car inspected at 'Smog Only' locations now ; where all they do is smog checks and they're regulated . The smog police have cracked down on testers for fudging the results and it shows up on the news from time to time when they bust guys in sting operations. Smog has become big business out here .
    It's about a 10-15 minute process where they take computer readings from your cars tail pipe emissions etc. Needless to say it's a pain in the butt. Everyone sits around in the waiting room holding their breath like they're waiting to get their health results back; "Is it fatally doc. Am I gonna live ??"
    luckily my vehicle has never failed a smog test. Knock on Formica.

Last nights show was pretty cool. That yellow Chevy Luv was ridiculously ugly. I give that guy credit for driving that thing period. When that kid said his parents gave him the truck for getting good grades and Xhibit looked at him like "yo they gave you that for getting good grades" I started cracking up. Hate to see what he'd been driving if he had earned bad grades. After they hooked it up it was sweet.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I think I might like it because of all the shi crap cars I rode around in as a teen. Doors missing (true), filling up with exhaust (*cough* true, had to keep the windows rolled down. In Minnesota. In January. ), holes in the floor (true, had to put my feet on the glove box. ) Yada yada. But hey, it got us to McDonald's. Anyhow, wheeling around unsafely in a four-toned Patridge family-style Pinto, makes me appreciate someone ELSE's "smooth" ride being transformed.

Me likey.
    *sniff* all the memories . Like the crap box camaro I had that would only start in reverse , and had a screwdriver in the shiftbox. Where the inspections when I was tooling around in that navy and primer wonder ?

I think that's why I love the show too. As a kid it must be amazing to have that done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast