Closed Thread

Thread: An interview with Mark Corwin

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

An interview with Mark Corwin (Combat Missions)

Below is an interview I conducted with Mark Corwin of Combat Mission's Bravo squad.
    ========================
    Mark Corwin: Quiet Professionalism
    written by BravoFan

It is with great honor (and much demand), that I present the first interview from a squad member of the Combat Missions championship team, Bravo!

I'd like to personally thank Mark for taking time out of his extremely busy schedule to share his life and story with the fans of Combat Missions.

Mark Corwin was born and raised in Houston, Texas with his two brothers Mike and Matt. Mark realized his passion for sports and fitness early on, and participated and excelled in every sport he could think of. His passion for fitness earned him the nickname "Bam Bam" from his older brother's friends. "I competed in football, baseball, tennis, soccer, swimming, boxing, and track & field. I always wanted to strive to be the best in everything that I did."

And being the best is something Mark had an extreme aptitude for. One look at Mark's official bio on the Combat Missions web site will tell you that.

Mark, when did you decide to join Marine Force Recon?

My father and my uncle are both former Marines. I knew since I was a small child that I wanted to be a Marine. Graduating number 1 from Boot Camp (Honor Graduate) and seeing the look on my father's face told me that a Marine is who he is and who I am, and we always will be. I wanted to be in Force Recon for a long time but I knew it was a long shot. When I was accepted to join the ranks of The Marine Force Recon Community I immediately called my father to let him know. My father and I have been and always will be Marines.

What is your workout routine (how do you stay in such great shape)?

I wake up every morning at 0430 and go for a run. When that is over I hit the weights at my gym and finish it off with a swim.

What has been the most significant event of your life?

It was the look in my father's eyes in San Diego, CA. during Boot Camp graduation when he found out that I graduated number 1, (Honor Graduate) in a group of over 400 other Marines. He is my hero. My father is everything I strive everyday to be - in business as well as in family. He is the greatest man I have ever known.

After reading your official bio on the Combat Missions web site, you appear to excel at everything you do. Is there ANYTHING at which you are NOT great?

I could definitely improve my speaking skills. Everyone I know said they had to rewind every episode multiple times to understand what I said. I tend to talk very quickly.

How did you learn of CM and why did you decide to give it a try?

John Winn called me and asked if I was interested in doing the competition with him. I have replaced discs in my back with spinal cord and nerve damage so I thought that this would be the perfect chance to prove to myself that I could still hang with the big boys.

What do your family and friends think of your notoriety from the show?

My family and friends loved the show. I just wanted to show myself in a positive light and not make an ass out of myself. My entire circle of family and friends said they are very proud of how Bravo conducted themselves in a professional manner.

Was the portrayal of Bravo accurate in your opinion: (a "sleeper" squad that didn't get much attention or credit until the very end, but extremely loose, close knit, and having a great time)

We were not a "sleeper" squad. We did our best throughout the entire competition. Remember our "SWAT" dominated team still had 4 former military members in it (Bob Kain is a former Marine). To say we were a "sleeper" squad just because we were not given much air time is inaccurate.

Do you still keep in touch with your former squad-mates (and/or anyone else from the show)?

I still keep in touch with quite a few people from the show. They are all great people and it was an honor to meet and spend time with each and every one of them.

Which person on Bravo squad did you connect with the most?

We were a TEAM. That means we were one.

What one word would you use to describe each of your fellow Bravo squad, and how would they describe you?

Teammate

How realistic were the missions and training exercises (compared with your actual military experience)?

The missions were a lot of fun, but in real life we wouldn't be taking out a stationary tank for time.

What were your thoughts on the final competition (the panes of glass)?

I thought that was a real downer considering how exciting the season was. The feedback I got from people in Houston is that it was disappointing.

What do you think was the biggest key to Bravo's successful championship victory?

Team cohesion. We worked together incredibly well. We had a different leader for every mission. On the field ops, Byers and myself did the planning, and on the urban ops the SWAT experts did their thing. Our team did not have the ego problems that some of the other teams may have had to overcome.

In addition to thanks, I'd like to add a special message of congratulations to both Mark and the entire Bravo team for their efforts and success as Combat Missions team champions.

A final note from Mark is one that we all need to remember, and is very timely!
    This was a game show. Please remember next time you talk down about our military and law enforcement community that they are out there everyday in the real world with real bullets (not MILES gear) protecting and sometimes dying for our way of life. Memorial Day is coming up. When you walk outside and decide to go for a ride in your car, bike, etc... think about the fact that there are many people in this world that are not able to do this. Veterans of Military and Police are who made America what it is today, FREE!

Semper Fi
    Mark Corwin

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/com...ads/bravo.html
    Last edited by BravoFan; 03-02-2003 at 08:48 PM.

Closed Thread