+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Real World' Won't Film in Philadelphia

'Real World' Won't Film in Philadelphia

'Real World' Won't Film in Philadelphia

27 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA - Real-world labor issues apparently were a bit too much for the makers of a popular MTV reality show.

A production company announced Tuesday that it had given up plans to shoot the 15th season of "The Real World" in Philadelphia. Bunim/Murray Productions did not give a reason for abandoning the plans just three weeks before taping was set to begin, but it had been squabbling with organized labor.

The production company had angered labor unions angry by hiring a nonunion company to renovate the former Seamen's Church Institute in Old City, where it planned to have seven strangers live together and have their lives videotaped. Members of the building trades unions picketed outside the building.

Sharon Pinkenson, who heads the Greater Philadelphia Film Office, told The Philadelphia Inquirer that she had been aware that Bunim/Murray wanted to go nonunion, but said she advised the company that doing so would be troublesome in Philadelphia.

"I recommended that they speak with other producers of nonunion reality television" who had worked in Philadelphia, Pinkenson said. She did not know if Bunim/Murray followed her advice.

Labor leaders said other television and movie production companies had worked successfully with Philadelphia's unions, citing examples like the CBS series "Hack" and "Cold Case," and the recent M. Night Shyamalan film "The Village."

"Every other production company comes in, sits down and bargains," said Tony Frasco, vice president of Teamsters Local 107.

"We ask for fair wages and benefits, and (then they) make a fuss and take their ball and go home what kind of real world do they represent?" said Pat Gillespie, business manager of the Philadelphia Building Trades Council.

The company did not say Tuesday where it would film the show's next season.

Grrrrr, I'll keep my evil union comments to myself.

I think the Real World should come to Austin!!
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

Come to Charlotte... They'll be bored to death
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

aahhhhhh well.......
    The Producers needs to do their HOMEWORK when pulling stuff like that. They gotta play by the rules unless they are trying to cut costs here. I wonder where they are gonna go this time?

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Heh .... I'll host 'em in Birmingham....that will be a laugh.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Have they done Los Angeles show? I don't remember one. :hmm

Washington D.C? Make 'em be interns.

Last night they KILLED me whining about their job...they go in at noon and sail for a few hours and get paid and they whine? You gotta be kidding me!
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFabulous
    Have they done Los Angeles show? I don't remember one. :hmm

Yes they have it was Season 2

I wonder if they'll still start at the same time. If filming was to start in 3 weeks, I'm sure the cast had already been chosen, and some of them may have even quit their jobs already.

Although I'm sure MTV takes some time to prepare the house before they move in.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

+ Reply to Thread