+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I Want A famous Face

FORT Newbie

I Want A Famous Face/No Really I Do!

Hey

I have watched all the epiosdes so far and they were all great. This has been one of the freshest and entertaining shows to come on tv in years. I know some have not agreed with the participants and their choices, I think Mtv did a great job documenting the stories. Unlike other shows where the network and producers manipulate the story, Mtv was unbiased and kept professional distance from the subjects of this documentary. They were respectful enough to not influence the people and their plastic surgery choices. Sure they could have said this person should never try to look like this sex symbol but then we never would have gotten to know the true story of what happens when somebody undergoes one of these operations. It would have been fake.

FORT Newbie

New Yahoo Group for I Want A Famous Face fans

Hey:

I just created a new Yahoo! group for fans of the "I Want A Famous Face" show on Mtv. You can never get too much of online posting. Just go to www.groups.yahoo.com and search under "I Want A Famous Face". It is the only group of it's kind at Yahoo!

Quote Originally Posted by MGGuy
    Hey

I have watched all the epiosdes so far and they were all great. This has been one of the freshest and entertaining shows to come on tv in years. I know some have not agreed with the participants and their choices, I think Mtv did a great job documenting the stories. Unlike other shows where the network and producers manipulate the story, Mtv was unbiased and kept professional distance from the subjects of this documentary. They were respectful enough to not influence the people and their plastic surgery choices. Sure they could have said this person should never try to look like this sex symbol but then we never would have gotten to know the true story of what happens when somebody undergoes one of these operations. It would have been fake.
    I respectfully disagree. MTV has done a disservice to its viewers by presenting a distinctly biased view of plastic surgery, especially plastic surgery done to resemble someone else, not for aesthetic's sake. There was enormous bias, from the presenting of the star to be copied as some sort of ideal, all the way to the discussion of the surgery itself. Aside from a scant minute (if that) where discomfort, scarring and complications were discussed, what we get is a glorification of elective surgery to conform to some freakish Hollywood ideal.

The responsible thing to do is to say, "you shouldn't have this surgery because you want to look like X, we don't feel you're a good candidate to have this done." Instead, the show seems to build up the expectations of the person - expectations that are ridiculously unachievable for 90% of the people who appear. Please - a man with zero natural resemblence to her is going to come out looking like Jennifer Lopez?

What's fake is the impression the show leaves that the surgeries were effortless, costless, painless and that the patient was left in better physical and emotional condition than before they had the procedures. With the total lack of any substantial follow-up, we have no idea how these people are doing, if they regret the surgery (except for the one woman who had a horrific breast augmentation) or if they felt exploited by the MTV treatment of their experience.

I find this one of the least balanced and most dangerous of the makeover shows, especially given MTV's demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by pink_princess
    I have to wonder about not only the ethics but the talent of these plastic surgeons. Whatever it was they were trying to achieve, it didn't happen. Those twins were not attractive before surgery and weren't attractive after. Any modeling career will be strictly limited to their fantasy lives. They look like the mutated offspring of Stephen Baldwin, Cojo and Joan Rivers.

I caught what I thought was the end of the J-Lo guy's show and saw that he developed a massive infection over his right eye (it eventually was cleared up). It looked like he had a red softball sitting on his eyesocket. This guy has issues way, way too deep for him to have been approved for surgery by any respectable plastic surgeon, so other than for the trainwreck factor that MTV goes for, I don't know how he slid through the process.

The Britney boob job wasn't too bad, I could actually understand what she was looking for. It wasn't so much the size as it was the lift and perkiness - in some of those flimsy costumes, there's no support and her (gasp) 27-yr. old boobs were sagging lower than Britney's would. There were times when she really did look like Britney, but she'd have done well to also go to a dermatologist and get those big moles taken off of her neck. Well, and invest a whole lot more in dance lessons. :phhht
    Not to burst the bubble of the cojo twins, but I must either applaud their tremendous self-esteem or look on quizzically as they proclaim themselves the "hottest" twins in America. My mother taught me, if I don't have something nice to say, then shut my trap... therefore, I am forever restrained from commenting on their appearance.

On the Britney gal... it just proves that no amount of superficial plastic surgery will give you the bone structure and body proportions of someone else.... she's pretty enough but a Kia with a paintjob will never be a Porche... and that's ok people!

Touch my bunny, stroke my cow.

Yeah, you know, the thing that gets me about this show are the plastic surgeons. I can't believe they are so willing to make someone look like someone else. I always thought they stress people having realistic expectations and all that, but then you have a dude come in who wants to look like J. Lo and the surgeon is all into it. Weird.

Wheatfield, NY (outside of Niagara Falls)
    Kate Winslet reacts emotionally to reality TV

by Kat Giantis
    MSN Entertainment
    April 28, 2004

There's at least one celebrity who isn't a fan of MTV's plastic surgery makeover show "I Want a Famous Face." Kate Winslet tells the London Times she broke down in tears as she watched a fan named Jennette undergo several painful procedures, including a boob job and tummy tuck, to look more like her.

"I could not believe this girl was putting herself through this because she wanted to look like what she thought I looked like," the "Eternal Sunshine" beauty tells the paper.

"I just felt so powerless."

Winslet says she felt it was her duty to watch the show, but admits within minutes she was "crying in horror." "This girl had collected magazine covers with me on the front," she recalls. "And she was saying, 'I really want to have Kate Winslet's breasts. Just look at how well-shaped they are, pert and soft.' And I thought, No, darling, my breasts don't look like that. I've had two kids. It's a digitally altered image!"

Last year, GQ admitted to airbrushing a cover photo of the fabulously curvaceous Winslet to make her appear leaner. In the interview accompanying the controversial picture, the actress insisted, "I'm certainly not a sex symbol who doesn't eat."

As for MTV's subject, Kate says she doesn't see any post-op resemblance, despite the extreme measures. "I certainly don't have breasts remotely like those she ended up with," says Winslet. "Trust me. She had slabs of her stomach taken out. Liposuction! What the f*** is going on?"

Jennette, at least, has no regrets. "I am more than pleased with the results of the surgery! I feel foxy and ferocious!" she tells MTV, though she adds she has yet to be mistaken for her idol.
    http://entertainment.msn.com/celebs/...px?news=156929

Interestingly, out of all of the episodes of "I Want a Famous Face", I think the episode in question was one of the least disturbing. The girl featured seemed to have less of an "I want to look exactly like Kate Winslet because she is perfect" attitude and more of an "I've gone through alot to look like a better version of me, and I look up to Kate Winslet for being beautiful despite Hollywood standards". However, if I was famous and saw a show that featured someone going to extreme measures to look like me, I would be horrified as well.

Thanks Pitt for the article. I see where Kate is coming from. I mean if I was a celebrity and someone went through so much to look like me, I would feel horrible, expiecially when the outcome looked nothing like me.

I am surprised she is the only celebrity to talk about it so far.

FORT Newbie

Plastic Surgery

Hey

There is some truth to the "I Want A famous Face" show. When you go to a plastic surgeon for surgery they ask you to bring in pictures of body parts that you would like to have. For example, if you wanted rhinoplasty they would suggest that you come in with some pictures of noses in order to get an idea of how you want your nose changed. It actually makes the surgery more successful as opposed to a person who comes in and wants a nose job but has no idea how they want their nose changed. Some doctors have computer programs where the client can look how their nose appears and then use various functions on the computer to alter it. They person can see what their new nose or chin will look like after the operation as opposed to having a vague idea from a picture. Though the people on "I Want A Famous Face" don't just take the nose of a person from a magazine but several body parts. And as many here have pointed out several of the people on the hsow already have physical attributes similar to the celebs they were trying to look like. I don't see this as any different than men who copied James Dean's look with his hair style and pulled up collar or the women who shaved their eye brows to look like a particular 50s movie star, Jean Harlow (I think), or the women who for over 20 years who dyed their hair blonde to resemble blonde bombshell Marilyn Monroe! And I am sure many women got breast implants when movie stars like Pamela Sue got hers. The mtv show is just reflecting a trend in society but just maybe reflecting it too a certain degree more extensive.

Thanks for the article, PittGrrl04.

Kate Winslet is one of my favorite actresses and I agree with what she said. I think I'd be disturbed too if someone went to such extreme measures to look like me. It's creepy.

NYPOST:

That's not all. Matthew and Michael Schlepp, who were featured in MTV's "I Want a Famous Face," says it was the network's idea that they say they wanted to look like Brad Pitt.

"We wanted to have more of a masculine look. They were like, 'Well, if you had to choose someone, who would you want to look like?' " says Matthew. "We were like, 'We want to have bone structure like Brad Pitt.

"They made it seem like we were drooling over Brad Pitt."
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/20218.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast