+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many...?

FORT Newbie

How many...?

Of all the thousands of applications & videos that EM receives, how many do you think make it far enough to even be seen by the doctors? I wish I knew more about their selection process, and whether EM really looks at every video or whether they only look at as many as needed until they find all the candidates they want. Just curious... what are your thoughts?

FORT Newbie
    Bump... anyone have a guess?

And here's another question: Does anyone have any idea how long it takes from the time you're selected (IF you're selected) to the time you have to leave home? A few days, weeks, ...???

FORT Newbie

Good Question!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini
    Of all the thousands of applications & videos that EM receives, how many do you think make it far enough to even be seen by the doctors? I wish I knew more about their selection process, and whether EM really looks at every video or whether they only look at as many as needed until they find all the candidates they want. Just curious... what are your thoughts?

Does anyone have an idea of how the cast is chosen or how they are told?

Thanks, Krystal

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by krystalblueeyez
    Does anyone have an idea of how the cast is chosen or how they are told?

Thanks, Krystal
    Hi,

By watching all of the episodes and from browsing this great site, I would guess that:

- they are looking for someone with a good story, someone who "deserves" to receive the makeover (e.g., to start a new life after a tragic event, etc.)

- they have received lots of entries from women, so men have a slight advantage of being chosen

- they are looking for people from different ethnicities. I think that that there has NEVER been a Southeast Asian (Chinese, Japanese, etc.) on the show, so sooner or later, they are going to get a SE Asian to appear. I think that this would also be true for ethnicites that have not already been on the show like aboriginals, mixed, etc.

- they usually contacted you (by calling you?), and then told you that "you are one of the finalists" or something like that. Then, they would come over to film you. Then, they would ask you life story, etc. Next, about 99.9% of the time, they would surprise you for being chosen ON CAMERA. So, I think if they are filming you, you have a huge chance of getting the makeover.

- Applying for a Mini-Extreme Makeover may give offer a better chance, as it is a "new" addition to the show

Good luck to anyone who applies for the show!

FORT Newbie
    There is more to the selection process than one might think. I was on the show, but do to contract obligations, we cannot tell all that goes on with the selection process.
    Just know that Extreme Makeover does a fantastic job of selection, especially considering the thousands of applicant they receive daily. Kudos to everyone on Extreme Makeover for making my transformation so wonderful. They are all true professionals!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yonex46
    There is more to the selection process than one might think. I was on the show, but do to contract obligations, we cannot tell all that goes on with the selection process.
    Just know that Extreme Makeover does a fantastic job of selection, especially considering the thousands of applicant they receive daily. Kudos to everyone on Extreme Makeover for making my transformation so wonderful. They are all true professionals!!!!

Hi there, since I read above that you were on the show, I just wanted to say congratulations to you and enjoy yourself.

POD
    FORT Newbie

what they don't show is...

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini
    I can tell you that there is a filtering process. First the producers actually fly a bunch of people out to LA, where they are screened by Dorfman and the plastic surgeons to see if they would be good makeover candidates, ie, can anything be done with them. If the doctors say that there can only be minor improvement or if the dentist thinks it will take too long and too many procedures to fix their teeth then they are cut immediately.

Then they are interviewed by a psychiatrist to determine if they are crazy or not, then the take a personality test to determine if they are dangerous or potentially unruly (you are under virtual house arrest for 8 weeks during the makeover), and then finally there's a background check for a criminal record and dirty laundry.

For every person who makes it on TV, several go through this process and may end up being cut for various reasons; has there already been a similar character on the show, is this person boring and inarticulate, will their makeover be extreme or enough or not, can we find more people of color or more men, how about someone with an extreme deformity we can cross-promote on Oprah? Etc. Etc.

Anyhow, good luck!

FORT Newbie
    Thanks for the additional info, POD!

+ Reply to Thread