+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "The Swan" to premiere on Fox on 03/29 (now 04/07)

That is true, Shayshay.

I don't have a problem with cosmetic surgery. I think it's completely unnecessary in the vast majority of cases, but some people's self-esteem is tied to their looks, and I understand that.

The problem is, for most people, once they fix what they perceived to be the problem (their looks) and the entire rest of their world doesn't change with it, they realize, too late, that it wasn't their looks at all.

I think it'll be an interesting show, just from that aspect. But Fox has ruined it with their marketing, and we won't be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFabulous
    This show will get creamed in the ratings going up against the bachelor anyway.

I give it 2 weeks before it gets a new time slot.
    For those who'd prefer to watch The Bachelor tonight, (which is most of us), FOX is going to repeat this little gem tomorrow at 9:00 EST. You know, instead of showing us something worthwhile, like Wonderfalls.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

(I will miss Wonderfalls too, Qboots! )

Quote Originally Posted by john
    The problem is, for most people, once they fix what they perceived to be the problem (their looks) and the entire rest of their world doesn't change with it, they realize, too late, that it wasn't their looks at all.
    Excellent point. I wonder if the show will address this aspect. It kind of reminds me of the trope about moving or journeying: once you've left a place, the issue you had with that place follows you to the new one. There are life changes one can make for which there's no turning back (e.g., having a kid), and given that there'll be "life coaches" and therapists, I hope the contestants will learn to be happy with themselves, no matter what. We'll see what happens. (I remember being excited about Married by America before it aired, because of an article about the producer, so I can't say as I know how to pick 'em.)

I wasn't going to post on this topic, but alas here I am. Some people desperately *need* plastic surgery.. for health reasons and to make them feel better about themselves after years of being told they're fat and ugly when in reality they aren't! Harsh words over time do tend to make a person feel worthless and insecure. I don't expect any of you to see my point of view, because most of you don't live the way I do. I do need plastic surgery.. if you were to see a picture you would understand. I have gained weight over the last year, but I can take care of that myself! Getting back on topic.. I don't understand why some of you are rejecting the show before it has even aired. You should already know that stations "play up" the previews before the show airs and you should also know not to judge a show on the preview. You won't know what it's like until you see the show! This is simply my take on the situation and I'm not asking for a debate. I just ask that people watch a show before they go trashing it!

I respect your opinion, mom2jazzy, but disagree. I'm perfectly capable of assessing the potential of a show and "trashing" it before having seen a single frame of film.

That's what opinions are for - they don't have to necessarily be informed opinions, or even popular opinions.

Whether you feel you need cosmetic surgery to enhance your life is something only you will know. But I can guarantee that the problems these ladies taking part in this show have with their self-esteem and personal life situations won't suddenly evaporate because of some surgical operation.

I'm not necessarily fond of this whole show with the pageant at the end. I am and always have been against pageants, but I will not say I'm not going to watch it merely from the previews. I will give it a chance to prove me wrong in my opinion of it. The only thing ,other than the pageant, that upsets me is I know they won't have people that really do need the makeover on the show.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2jazzy
    I'm not necessarily fond of this whole show with the pageant at the end. I am and always have been against pageants, but I will not say I'm not going to watch it merely from the previews. I will give it a chance to prove me wrong in my opinion of it. The only thing ,other than the pageant, that upsets me is I know they won't have people that really do need the makeover on the show.
    By your posts I sorta had a feeling that you had an "inside" knowledge of the show, but didn't want to ask. But..now that you said that, DO you have inside information in regards to the show?

Anyway...not that it matters much, cause I really won't watch it. I definately agree with people in NEED of surgery (whether plastic or not) to correct something. (ie; burns, deformations, etc..) But to me..this show isn't about helping the "needy"..it's about trying to look more beautiful than you already are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    For those who'd prefer to watch The Bachelor tonight, (which is most of us), FOX is going to repeat this little gem tomorrow at 9:00 EST. You know, instead of showing us something worthwhile, like Wonderfalls.
    Qboots..that cracked me up!! (I love sarcasm)
    Last edited by Maveno; 04-07-2004 at 08:06 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

LOL no, I don't have any inside knowledge of the show! I just kinda figure it will be like most other shows out there and won't put the truly "needy" on.. I have applied for extreme makeover, but I'm not so sure I will apply for the swan.. will wait and see!

As far as I'm aware, the Swan show was taped several months ago, and there is no application process available any more (unless they decide to do a second one, which they have not announced).

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Meh...Everyone will be watching The Apprentice then. Go Bill

I never got to see Wonderfalls, it looked like it might be a good show...I kept thinking "wonder years" and I loved that show so maybe that's why I thought I would like this one?

Anyway, it's already gone.....that's Fox for ya.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast