+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "The Swan" to premiere on Fox on 03/29 (now 04/07)

I'm going to give it a chance.
    We all would like to change something about ourselves, and if they are really
    ugly and not just average women who want to be on TV, I can see this as
    a real tear- jerker.

The parade at the end part I may not like, it depends on how the women who participated view it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I was already wary of Extreme Makeover, but watching the show I was won over by the sense of empowerment it gave its candidates.
    How can you could ou be won over by that show but have big toruble with The Swan? Just because of this pageant thing-y? I know I'm gonna be crying like a big ol' baby when I see all these ladies go through these transformations. And as for the pageant thing-y, they allknew what they were getting into whent hey sign up. If they cool wit it, I'm cool wit it!

Although I can appreciate in a general sense people's reservations about the show, I think self-improvement can be a great and empowering thing, and I love watching people who have decided to improve whatever facet of their existence that troubles them react to the fruits of their efforts. I think it is important to note that these ladies aren't just going under the knife and strolling out on stage -- according to the press release, they will each have, "a coach, therapist, trainer, cosmetic surgeon, dentist and stylist." In other words, they are going to be responsible for some of this transformation themselves, and are probably going to be looking at some life changes rather than just being artificially altered.

When they do the reveals on these types of shows, the thing that I remember most is the confidence they exhibit post-makeover -- regardless of whether the driving force is superficial, the confidence, which is internal, is real. That's why I watch.

With all that said, would it be that awful if these women just said, "I'm not happy with the way I look, and I want a change?" I think most people, given the opportunity to make themselves better looking, would do so. I don't think that makes us shallow -- taking pride in one's appearance is completely natural.

I was surprised to find out that my wife, who has undergone cosmetic surgery, is horrified by the premise of this show, and Fox's repeated use of the phrase "ugly ducklings". In fact, the woman who barely knows how to use a computer is planning to send Fox a big ol' complaint via e-mail.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I was surprised to find out that my wife, who has undergone cosmetic surgery, is horrified by the premise of this show, and Fox's repeated use of the phrase "ugly ducklings". In fact, the woman who barely knows how to use a computer is planning to send Fox a big ol' complaint via e-mail.
    My oh my, peoples are so touchy nowadays. Take it from the M to the AURENCE, this is much ado about N to the OTHING. They're just using that expression in the ads in reference to the classic tale of the ugly duckling who transforms into a beautiful swan. Why don't we start writting letetrs complaining about that offensive story. It's just reality tv, people.

Sheeeeeessh!

Yep, it's just reality TV, but Fox has lost 2 potential viewers with their careless use of an ill-fitting phrase.

Your opinion is your opinion, and obviously not everyone agrees - even those of who don't "sheeeeeeeesh" other people's thoughts.

yes, life may be about "survival of the fittest", but i haven't seen any "ugly ducklings" having to scrape out of dumpsters for food solely because they aren't model-attractive. this society's emphasis on beauty above all is what truly makes this show sickening. i can absolutely guarantee that all of these women would feel so much better abotu themselves if they had simply started exercising on their own, or decided to make a change for themselve,s by themselves, and reaped the benefits, by themselves.. but when it comes to the point where women are bawling, thinking cosmetic surgery is their only answer for any iota of hope in lif,e it's pathetic and shameful what about a person's mind? what about their personality? what about their talents? what about their attitude? does this not matter? after all, it's what still manages to set everyone apart in a world where every day it seems as though more and more people are trying to look like the "ideal". a degrading "ideal" that naturally only occurs in about .001% of women. withotu a permanent change in the way one views oneself internally, nothing will help one achieve happiness. and im sure having someone tell you how you're supposed to look, even if that look is unnatural, costs tons of money, requires ridiculous measures, etc., is going to further etch scars into the already fragile self-image of these women. honestly, if you're willing to sacrifice your privacy and your entire physical appearance, exactly how emotionally strong can you be? it seems as if everyone can just buy beauty these days, so in a few years, i guess beauty won't be so precious, rare, and competitive any more. maybe then the things that truly matter will become valuable to this brainwashed society. i hate to sound like cliche/soapbox woman, but this is an issue that i'm very much affected by.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    This show will get creamed in the ratings going up against the bachelor anyway.

I give it 2 weeks before it gets a new time slot.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    There's absolutely nothing I can add to Positum's post or even say on my own that would be better than what she's has already said. I agree wholeheartedly.

There was an old Twilight Zone episode I watched about 2 months ago, and I think it applies to this "reality show" perfectly. I can't remember the name of it, but it has to do with all young girl's supposed "excitement" about becoming a "woman" and the transformation that they HAVE to do in order to mature. In that society all the girls went through an "operation" that made them ALL look the same, act the same and sound the same (like robots). The only difference between them were name tags on their shirts to identify who they were.
    One girl was adamantly AGAINST going through the transformation because her father taught her that "even though you're not as pretty as the other girls, it doesn't mean you're not pretty"..etc.. She held tight to that and acted more mature and "put together" than any of the other girls.
    Everyone kept taunting her to "get the operation" because "Don't you WANT to be pretty like the others!?".."You're always going to have problems if you don't change w/the operation".. "Why would you WANT to be ugly?"
    They even had her go to intense counseling because nobody could understand why she wouldn't WANT this.
    In the end...she came walking out of the operation room looking just like all the other women and said (in that robotic voice) "I am glad I made the change. I am happy now."

Funny how those old Twilight Zone shows start applying to real life.
    Oh..and yea, the "ugly duckling" reference was used in this Twighlight Zone episode too...by the people wanting to change the girl.
    I won't be watching this crapfest.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I'm going to watch it. I've never had cosmetic surgery and likely won't in the future, but I'm interested to see what comes of this show. I totally hear ya' with regards to innumerable ethical dilemmas, and then the end-show contest. Right now I'm just taking a tentative stance--advocating for no sides. I welcome the debating, though.

My *tentative* stance on this show is that these women are "self-proclaimed" ugly ducklings (that's how they see themselves), and from my very superficial understanding, they did have a choice as to whether or not they wanted to participate in this show. My hope is that the women find camaraderie with one another, in the way that the American Idol contestants have. But I suppose we'll just see what happens.

There're some interesting articles on the ethics of cosmetic surgery (advocating a few different sides) in a recent back issue of the Utne Reader. I might re-read them and re-acquaint myself with a few of the viewpoints. Keep in mind, if the discussions get too heated or political, the thread may be moved to the "Current Events" forum. Mods: isn't that true? Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, see you tonight!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast