+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1110
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: Food Network shows

CCL

Re: Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Holiday Baking Championship was fun this year (the finale was tonight) -- without spoiling right off the bat, I'll just say I was happy with the winner. It certainly was the best looking cake of the three finalists, and Duff, Lorraine and Nancy had differing nitpicks about all three.
    Jason is adorable. I am so glad he won. All the cakes looked good though Cheryl's did look like a wedding cake apart from the top. Still nice, though. And they all sounded tasty!
    Lorraine and Nancy do not seem to like eachother. Sometimes they seem to dislike something just because the other already said they liked it. Makes the judging a bit uncomfortable at times.
    crusin, Arielflies and woodiedog like this.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

FORT Fogey

Re: Food Network shows

I was glad a home cook won and won fairly, I thought. Since all their cakes apparently tasted fine, it came down to the decorations, and I didn't think the other two really fit all that well with their themes. It wasn't really a snowman family on the one cake and the other was, pretty simply, a wedding cake with a sleigh on top (and frankly, I wasn't keen on her pulling her child into the story by putting her in the sleigh and saying she stole Santa's sleigh; whenever somebody pulls their child or their grandmother or whatever into a story on a FN show, I feel like they're trolling for sympathy points with the judges). The focus on that cake was supposed to be the sleigh, and there was far more standard cake than sleigh--and if the sleigh had created the track down the side of the cake, shouldn't it have been on the bottom instead of the top?
    crusin, sparklete and woodiedog like this.

Did anyone else notice that the Food Network spoiled themselves? I was watching last night on my DVR. One of the commercials before they announced the winner was for the Holiday special with the three winners vs. kids. They showed the first two then Jason. Woops.

I am glad he won. I really liked him.
    woodiedog likes this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Love that Jason won! He is adorable! He wants to use some of the winnings for a nutritional program for children. He said his area is poor and children don't have access to good food. He works at an elementary school cafeteria! ❤️ His kindness.
    Debb70 and Wagara like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    Did anyone else notice that the Food Network spoiled themselves? I was watching last night on my DVR. One of the commercials before they announced the winner was for the Holiday special with the three winners vs. kids. They showed the first two then Jason. Woops.

I am glad he won. I really liked him.
    I saw that too! I'm glad he won.
    dagwood and woodiedog like this.
    "Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring --it was peace"--Milan Kundera

Really the only two that were deserving were Cheryl or Jason, but I'm glad Jason won because as mentioned he's a home baker. Cheryl will have no problems getting orders with the quality of work she showed consistently on this series as well as her kind, positive attitude.

Jason's looked professional too and had enough Christmas spirit that tipped it in his favor. And no matter HOW much the one wants to say the cake was too dry - when the other two say it's great, you're going to lose your argument except personal taste.

Cheryl failed at making the cake too plain rest of the way down. If she had added some chocolate trees, or presents, or even put the sleigh further down and had a house at the top it would've helped break up the simpleness and might've put it in her favor.

The other contestant just had too many flaws IMHO to have won when Jason and Cheryl's were so strong.

So, I was happy with the result - MUCH more so than I was with the Halloween baking championship. The winner there should not have won.

That said, the Halloween one was worth it to watch Jeff Dunham and Walter's hosting performances. I really hope they come back next season, and maybe add Peanut to the mix (though his case he will have to pull back some of his antics, but I've seen a PG rated version of Peanut so it would work).
    woodiedog likes this.

Yeah, Jason. Then he and his kid baking partner, Jackson, went on to win the holiday baking special show. That was a terrific way to advertise the new Kids Baking Show coming up; unlike Project Runway, which interrupted their finale with way too many previews of their kids' show.
    dagwood, MFWalkoff and woodiedog like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Brand new season of Worst Cooks In America tonight. I really enjoyed last celebrity edition season and the Worst Bakers spin-off, so I loo forward to see the challenges this new bunch of contestants will have to face, and if I have made mistakes in the kitchen as bad as theirs.

Re: Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I wish those three shows were still being filmed...especially Iron Chef. Alton has moved on to the silly competition stuff and I miss watching a Twinkie being made. sigh
    Man, am I late replying to this. But if you have Cooking Channel, they have reruns of Good Eats and Unwrapped, and they got a new version of the latter titled Unwrapped 2.0 hosted by Alfonso Ribeiro, so one can once again enjoy watching how all sorts of foods and snacks are made.

No cooking channel or DIY network in my package, I'm afraid.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread