+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 96 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596 LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

Hubby and I saw this several years ago on FN (I think from Alton Brown on his old "Good Eats" show). Ever since, we've stuffed poultry with aromatics: various fresh herbs, along with sliced apples, onions, citrus. Great flavor, and nothing dried out.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I've decided to spatchcock tomorrow's bird. It reduces the amount of cooking time, and both the white and dark meat will be done at the same time.

For the last several years, I've made dressing (not stuffing), but while it's cooking, I "baste" it with the drippings. Best of both worlds :-)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I've decided to spatchcock tomorrow's bird. It reduces the amount of cooking time, and both the white and dark meat will be done at the same time.

For the last several years, I've made dressing (not stuffing), but while it's cooking, I "baste" it with the drippings. Best of both worlds :-)
    I have done this and with chicken, too. Definately the best way to go. You get all the skin crispy, as well. I ask the butcher to do it. Not that it is hard to take out the back, it is just so much quicker! For the grill, bring a pot of water to a boil. Turn off the heat and put chicken in. Allow it to sit in the water, covered for 30 minutes. This allows you to grill over hot coals and ensure it is cooked. So good and very moist.

I do it with chicken all the time, but this was the first time I did it for turkey. (My husband had to do the actual work because my hands aren't strong enough any more.)

And it came out great! The skin didn't get totally crispy, but the meat was perfect.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I do it with chicken all the time, but this was the first time I did it for turkey. (My husband had to do the actual work because my hands aren't strong enough any more.)

And it came out great! The skin didn't get totally crispy, but the meat was perfect.
    Take the skin off after cooking. Then place it on a rack on a cookie sheet and crisp it. Serve it cut into pieces on the platter with the sliced turkey. Delicious and every bit gets eaten!
    TripleGemini likes this.

FORT Fogey

Richard Blaise has a new show called "Cook your Ass Off." It is on HLN and begins tonight.

FORT Fogey

Restaurant Express. I don't care for Robert Irvine but I like this show, a lot. It has taken the best aspects of the Food Truck Race and tweaked it. No stupid challenges, just good food and interesting tasks. I like all 3 finalists. I would be shocked if Adam doesn't win. He would have to have an epic fail.

Guys Grocery. This was one of the better episodes because there wasn't any challenge that limited their choices to dumb stuff. Why does anyone try to make risotto on any show let alone this one? It has been the downfall of too many.

Chopped with celebrities. The only celeb I know is Terri Hatcher; I like her. It was easy to predict the first to go long before he finished his appetizer. He didn't transform anything. Teri killed it!
    Again with entree round, easy to know who is going. Never serve overly cooked meat and don't serve burned food. No brainer.
    Terri is the clear winner. I don't even have to wait until the end to know this. I did though.

Terri hugged everyone everyone over the judging table but Geoffery Z got up and came around to get the full body press hug.

Cook Your Ass Off. I didn't find this very interesting. I will continue to watch though. Making healthy food can go overboard in the details. I wouldn't have wanted to eat anything they prepared. I also may have different sensibilites about what is "bad" for you as this show continues. There are many ways to go with this topic, time will tell if they vary the theories.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 12-02-2013 at 08:00 AM.

I figured Dawn Wells would go to the dessert round. She has several cookbooks out. It was hard to believe she is 74. At least hard to admit having watched Gilligans' Island growing up and I just don't think it was that long ago (in my mind)
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

I didn't watch Gilligans Island. I did not find her compelling to watch, odd personality. She has had some good work done, she looks great for 74. Terri has the reputation of being and excellent cook so my money was on her.

I've always liked Dawn Wells and was hoping for a win for her, but I have to agree that Teri Hatcher deserved it. Both are good cooks, but Teri's dishes seemed just a bit more like a professional chef. The two men were just out of their element, but were enjoyable to watch.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread