+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 96 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

Good post beestunglips.

It's all fine and good what Food Network did in firing PD, but as mentioned earlier, how about some diversity. I remember back in the day shows with hosts of many backgrounds. I think one was the Melting Pot that had hosts from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds and they made some really interesting recipes. I think Aaron Sanchez was in that lineup. The Cooking Channel is a little better, but overall, it's still pretty similar to FN.

yes, I remember Melting Pot and Aaron Sanchez was indeed on there. I thought I remember Roscoe Dispirito was also apart of that but can't remember 100%.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Let's hope that Food Network makes a positive step and puts a little more diversity in their line-up. I'd like to see some other cultures featured. I don't need to see yet another white American put a new twist on a hamburger.
    But how about a non-white American putting a new twist on a hamburger (a la Aaron McCargo)? Just because someone is "a minority" doesn't mean they're going to have a different take on cooking.

Viet has a different take, but it has nothing to do with his ethnicity. From his restaurant site: "THE FOOD AT FORAGE IS CONNECTED TO THE LAND AROUND US. WE SERVE A SINGLE SET MENU MADE UP OF INGREDIENTS FROM THE WILD AS WELL AS SMALL FARMS AND RANCHES. WE ATTEMPT TO SERVE THE BEST INGREDIENTS WE CAN FIND IN OUR AREA WITHOUT LOSING THE CONNECTION TO THEIR NATURAL STATE." (sorry about the caps, that's how it was on his site). I wish he had shown more of that on the Next Food Network Star.

I think shows where the chefs/cooks put new twists on a hamburger are successful because that's the way most people cook and that's what they're looking for.

Aarti (the woman who cooked Indian food) - I had rooted for her to win. I watched her show for a while and thought she did great, but I stopped watching after a while because I just wasn't going to cook much Indian food (though her Earl Grey tea ice cream made it into my permanent repertoire.)

Kip, you contradict yourself a bit. You wanted Aarti to win and watched until you figured you wouldn't be making much Indian food. But then you criticize Aaron McCargo for keeping it simple with a twist on burgers. For the reason why you don't watch Aarti, I'm sure he chose to stay away from the obvious soul food or something very specific.

What is it that you'd like to see? More of Ina Garten making chicken salad for pampered, rich folks? Or Rachel Ray making 30 minute meals while throwing salt over her shoulder and shouting out all kinds of cooking acronyms? And honestly, if Aaron was all that successful with his simplicity, he'd still have a show. Haven't seen him in a while.

I do agree the network needs diversity and more fun in the shows.

Personally I miss the days where we had reruns of older cooking shows - many, such as Galloping Gourmet, had a lot of laughs mixed in between the cooking due to issues with the oven, cooking or someone mixing up ingredients he was supposed to use. (Then again even now when Graham Kerr does a cooking special - though now I think 79, he does healthier foods now - he still has the laughs mixed in).

I also miss the old "Iron Chef" shows because you saw different foods that you won't see used here - Natto, Oxtail (rarer here), and a few other foods. That said, some challenges probably wouldn't be shown again because of "sensitivity" issues (i.e. the horsemeat challenge - included the head I think).

It just needs both racial and show diversity - we can only watch so much of the challenges and the stars still on the network (Guy, Bobby, Giada, Alton, Rachel, etc.)

To me it's a channel about cooking food. Honestly, I don't care what color the chef or host is. What I want is diversity in the food that we are shown. How about one dedicated to vegetarians? How about one that is just desserts? Or get some fushion shows on? Fushion cooking is super hot right now. I don't need another Italian or BBQ or Home Cook type of show. Actually how about just more cooking shows period? The Food Network feels like its becoming the new MTV - hardly any cooking shows, mainly competition shows now. That and Diners, Drive Ins and Dives - holy cow it's on all the time it seems hehe.
    Florimel likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    The Food Network feels like its becoming the new MTV - hardly any cooking shows, mainly competition shows now. That and Diners, Drive Ins and Dives - holy cow it's on all the time it seems hehe.
    I agree. That's the perfect analogy. And speaking of Triple D, it's been on 17 seasons. I had no idea. Guy was on some morning show and mentioned that tidbit.

It seems that the strategy for FN career success these days is to pay your dues for a season or two on a teach-how-to-cook-whatever show, then graduate to a travel-and-eat show.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

In the Food Network Star thread, Little Sew&Sew asked about about the new Food Court Wars and there was a mod post requesting that this new show be addressed here, so that's what I'll do.

I did watch the new show and found it less than entertaining. To answer the question, it is a series and not a one-time show (unless it's canceled). I think there will be two new teams appearing in a different city each week. I doubt I'll watch.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    To me it's a channel about cooking food. Honestly, I don't care what color the chef or host is. What I want is diversity in the food that we are shown. How about one dedicated to vegetarians? How about one that is just desserts? Or get some fushion shows on? Fushion cooking is super hot right now. I don't need another Italian or BBQ or Home Cook type of show. Actually how about just more cooking shows period? The Food Network feels like its becoming the new MTV - hardly any cooking shows, mainly competition shows now. That and Diners, Drive Ins and Dives - holy cow it's on all the time it seems hehe.
    I would love to see a Vegetarian show, especially one for those of us who are unsure of what type of meals we could make. Kind of an "Easy Vegetarian" idea.

I love old cooking shows, I grew up watching Julia, Graham, Justin and many others. I do find myself watching some of my local PBS stations that actually have cooking shows on them. Right now, I am obsessed with Jaques Pepin.
    Florimel likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread