+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 99 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Food Network

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: Food Network

Regarding this mess with Paula Deen, the fact that she grew up in a time and place with throwing the N word around was acceptable is no excuse for her so-called ignorance. For her to be that oblivious now and for others to be making excuses for the reasons she allegedly doesn't "know any better" doesn't wash with me. Unless she's been frozen on ice for the past fortysomething years and suddenly thawed out, having missed what happened after the civil rights movement, then she definitely would know that using that word is UNACCEPTABLE.

I am extremely dissapointed with Paula. I used to watch her cooking shows religiously way back when and got a kick out of her "Southern charm". Little did I know what was under the surface. Still, when all this blew up last week I was willing to give her a pass since everyone says stupid things and makes mistakes from time to time--but then I saw that video clip of her calling black male friend out of the audience and rudely referencing his dark skin as though it were a punch line, and then I read about her history of treating her black employees differently than her white employees, to say nothing of the whole plantation wedding idea. That did her in, for me.

Who in their right mind would be so stupid as to think this would be acceptable in this day and age????

As far as the N word and who shouldn't be using it, NO ONE should be using it. Just because some dumb rapper with gold "teef" in his mouth and a chunky gold chain around his neck decided to make the word a part of daily vernacular, casually bandying it about in a so-called attempt to diminish it's meaning, doesn't take away it's meaning. It is STILL a hurtful word with YEARS of painful history behind it. None of that changes just because some a bunch of idiots decided they'd make it cool to refer to each other using the word.

And yes, it IS a double standard to say that because someone is black it's okay to use it, but then go apesh*t if a white person uses it. This is stupidity at its finest. How is this dumb notion any better than the "Blacks Only" and "Whites Only" water fountains and washrooms during the civil rights movement?

Pray tell, is THIS what Martin Luther King Jr. fought for and gave his life for? I think not.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Let's hope that Food Network makes a positive step and puts a little more diversity in their line-up. I'd like to see some other cultures featured. I don't need to see yet another white American put a new twist on a hamburger.
    NFL1 likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    And BTW, I actually REMEMBER that "Iron Chef" ep where Flay stood on the counter acting like a cheerleader for HIS section of Kitchen Stadium after the battle was over.

Morimoto.

Was.

PISSED.

IIRC, Flay actually apologized after he was clued in that Morimoto's take on what he did was that it was disrespectful.
    Yep, and later on - either another pre-American IC or the series, Flay wanted to do it again but was sure to at least remove the cutting board. Morimoto still wasn't happy, but he did give a smirk.

He did apologize later on, and has matured a lot more than he did at that time. I sometimes think at the time it was just too much adrenaline because he was competing against one of the "revered" chefs - I think even the Chairman went to that particular one.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Regarding this mess with Paula Deen, the fact that she grew up in a time and place with throwing the N word around was acceptable is no excuse for her so-called ignorance. For her to be that oblivious now and for others to be making excuses for the reasons she allegedly doesn't "know any better" doesn't wash with me. Unless she's been frozen on ice for the past fortysomething years and suddenly thawed out, having missed what happened after the civil rights movement, then she definitely would know that using that word is UNACCEPTABLE.

I am extremely dissapointed with Paula. I used to watch her cooking shows religiously way back when and got a kick out of her "Southern charm". Little did I know what was under the surface. Still, when all this blew up last week I was willing to give her a pass since everyone says stupid things and makes mistakes from time to time--but then I saw that video clip of her calling black male friend out of the audience and rudely referencing his dark skin as though it were a punch line, and then I read about her history of treating her black employees differently than her white employees, to say nothing of the whole plantation wedding idea. That did her in, for me.

Who in their right mind would be so stupid as to think this would be acceptable in this day and age????

As far as the N word and who shouldn't be using it, NO ONE should be using it. Just because some dumb rapper with gold "teef" in his mouth and a chunky gold chain around his neck decided to make the word a part of daily vernacular, casually bandying it about in a so-called attempt to diminish it's meaning, doesn't take away it's meaning. It is STILL a hurtful word with YEARS of painful history behind it. None of that changes just because some a bunch of idiots decided they'd make it cool to refer to each other using the word.

And yes, it IS a double standard to say that because someone is black it's okay to use it, but then go apesh*t if a white person uses it. This is stupidity at its finest. How is this dumb notion any better than the "Blacks Only" and "Whites Only" water fountains and washrooms during the civil rights movement?

Pray tell, is THIS what Martin Luther King Jr. fought for and gave his life for? I think not.

WOW!!! This post------------------->
    ness and bee stung lips like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Let's hope that Food Network makes a positive step and puts a little more diversity in their line-up. I'd like to see some other cultures featured. I don't need to see yet another white American put a new twist on a hamburger.
    In fairness, I wonder if this kerfluffle will end up affecting the results of "The Next Food Network Star" should one of the finalists be a minority? Now I like Russell (to a point), and Viet, but I would hate for either of them (or any other minority who may still be on the show - note I haven't been watching it enough to know all the names) win because of this Paula Deen issue.

I say that because this season WE choose the winner, not "FN."

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Still, when all this blew up last week I was willing to give her a pass since everyone says stupid things and makes mistakes from time to time--but then I saw that video clip of her calling black male friend out of the audience and rudely referencing his dark skin as though it were a punch line, and then I read about her history of treating her black employees differently than her white employees, to say nothing of the whole plantation wedding idea. That did her in, for me.
    Agreed. I was willing to cut her some slack for the reasons I listed earlier. But then I watched that video with the New York Times done just two years ago and it was appalling. Besides the insulting metaphor about his skin color, she was so patronizing, trotting him out like an exhibit while the audience clapped approvingly. It was one of the most uncomfortable interviews I've ever seen.
    prhoshay, Ellen, ness and 2 others like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Agreed. I was willing to cut her some slack for the reasons I listed earlier. But then I watched that video with the New York Times done just two years ago and it was appalling. Besides the insulting metaphor about his skin color, she was so patronizing, trotting him out like an exhibit while the audience clapped approvingly. It was one of the most uncomfortable interviews I've ever seen.
    It was extremely uncomfortable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Ellen and ness like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

But if you think back to all the celebrities making stupid comments, they all apologized, so therefore all is forgiven. At least that is what a lot of others believe.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

I saw that she was on with Matt-- my Comcast had the tape but I couldnt take 13+ minutes of Matt and Paula so I didn't watch it

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    But if you think back to all the celebrities making stupid comments, they all apologized, so therefore all is forgiven. At least that is what a lot of others believe.
    I agree here. Was what PD said a good thing - no, of course not. But she has apologized several times now. Other celebrities have said and done the same type of thing, and worse. Guy Fieri is a homophobe (hates to work with them and has said "gay people weird me out"), Ann Burrell was sued for sexual discrimination, Mario Batali was sued by his former employees for taking their tips (he settled it for 5.2 million dollars), Robert Irvine lied about his credentials (fired but then rehired later), Bobby Flay was sued by former employees for wage and tip stealing as well (settled out for 800k). I am sure there are many other skeletons in the Food Network closet as well.

Again, I am in no way condoning what PD has said, but considering how many black artists use the N word in their songs and it is not only accepted by the general public, but they are making money off of using the N word... this whole PD thing is a witch hunt that the media has spiraled way out of control IMHO.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread