+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 95 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

Never been a fan of Ms Deen. Less so (if that's even possible), now. Good riddance...
    YellowRose likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

This will blow over when everyone gets on the case of who fathered Michael Jacksons kids!

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

The day before this news broke I asked my mother why she wasn't watching the Food Network as much. She complained that every time she turned it on there was 'that lady and her son'. I'm going to call her and tell her it will soon be safe for her to go back in the water.
    Ellen, Kip, just1paul and 2 others like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

I've never been a fan and I had to google what diabetesgate was. I hadn't realized that she had hidden her diabetes for years. I would have thought that diabetesgate would be the bigger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I'm conflicted about this. Of course racism is unconscionable, but I'm younger than she, was raised in California and I heard language like growing up. The culture wasn't as evolved as it is today. Even my parents, who are in their 80s and don't have a bigoted bone in their bodies, use terms that by today's standards are offensive because the line has moved and they haven't caught up. I'm not excusing racism by any means, but are ignorance and hate the same thing?
    I really like this post. You said what I was feeling.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Bobby Flay was barbequing on GMA this morning and he said "No Comment" when he knew the question was coming.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

My assessment on Paula Deen:

I find the word inappropriate and a step back in the wrong direction toward equality.

But - I have an issue with folks saying it's "Racist" when they allow their own children to use the term between each other. Older folks I know who went through the Civil Rights era are DISGUSTED that their children are allowing their grandchildren to use the words toward each other as though it's "cool." But it's not - not by a long shot.

Many of my African-American friends say the same thing too, particularly Civil Rights era ones.

Personally - I am NO FAN of Paula Deen's. She goes overboard in what Southern Cooking is (she adds far too much of the fats and sugars, and honestly it can be made healthier).

Her personality is more irritating than when Morimoto felt disrespected when Flay stood on top of the kitchen counters in an ancient "Iron Chef" challenge (before Iron Chef America was created).

I'm not sad to see her go - there are other chefs who can step into her place (maybe "Galloping Gourmet" Graham Kerr and his healthy cooking now if he's still able and willing to cook?)

That said, it's just the sheer hypocrisy of folks using a derogatory word in their own culture yet cry "racist" when others use it is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    My assessment on Paula Deen:

I find the word inappropriate and a step back in the wrong direction toward equality.

But - I have an issue with folks saying it's "Racist" when they allow their own children to use the term between each other. Older folks I know who went through the Civil Rights era are DISGUSTED that their children are allowing their grandchildren to use the words toward each other as though it's "cool." But it's not - not by a long shot.

Many of my African-American friends say the same thing too, particularly Civil Rights era ones.

Personally - I am NO FAN of Paula Deen's. She goes overboard in what Southern Cooking is (she adds far too much of the fats and sugars, and honestly it can be made healthier).

Her personality is more irritating than when Morimoto felt disrespected when Flay stood on top of the kitchen counters in an ancient "Iron Chef" challenge (before Iron Chef America was created).

I'm not sad to see her go - there are other chefs who can step into her place (maybe "Galloping Gourmet" Graham Kerr and his healthy cooking now if he's still able and willing to cook?)

That said, it's just the sheer hypocrisy of folks using a derogatory word in their own culture yet cry "racist" when others use it is amazing.
    I agree with your issue on that.

To me, it doesn't matter WHAT the race in question is, either. Blacks, Italians, Asians, etc. Whatever. In my mind, it is absolutely NOT OK to use whatever the derogatory term for your race is AMONG EACH OTHER, then cry "FOUL!" and want to get offended and kick ass when someone OUTSIDE of whatever your race happens to be starts slinging and flinging racial epithets around about you as quickly and easily as they'd say "It's HOT outside!"

Two wrongs --- ESPECIALLY when the wrongs happen to be letting nasty racial terms fly (in OR out of a particular race) --- DON'T make a right.

JMHO.

And BTW, I actually REMEMBER that "Iron Chef" ep where Flay stood on the counter acting like a cheerleader for HIS section of Kitchen Stadium after the battle was over.

Morimoto.

Was.

PISSED.

IIRC, Flay actually apologized after he was clued in that Morimoto's take on what he did was that it was disrespectful.
    Florimel likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

There is another discussion on this topic in the Celebrity Gossip thread. Mushybrain wrote and excellent post.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I'm conflicted about this. Of course racism is unconscionable, but I'm younger than she, was raised in California and I heard language like growing up. The culture wasn't as evolved as it is today. Even my parents, who are in their 80s and don't have a bigoted bone in their bodies, use terms that by today's standards are offensive because the line has moved and they haven't caught up. I'm not excusing racism by any means, but are ignorance and hate the same thing?
    This is not only about her use of the N word, as recent as 2010; there is much more to this scandal.

Paula Deen Black Employee | Paula Deen Slavery Allegations | The Braiser

More is coming out as employees step forward.

Good discussion here.

Miscellaneous Celebrity News

+ Reply to Thread