+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 96 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

Anyone watching the new season of Next Food Star?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by kireelady View Post
    Anyone watching the new season of Next Food Star?
    Yep! This year the show has it's own forum - with threads for each contestant and everything!

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/food-network-star-9/

Since it's part of Food Network, I'd like to say something about the Iron Chef tournament of champions.

I felt it was rigged for Symon to win.

Now, I think he's a brilliant cook, but if they truly wanted the best of the best, Morimoto should've won over Garces. They choose a secret ingredient that would favor Garces and it showed.

Especially since Morimoto has had to compete with ingredients that favor and don't favor his original Japanese boundaries in the Japanese version of the show. I think he was the one with the infamous overly smoked asparagus in that show's challenges.

Pretzels as the tournament finals secret ingredient was a great equalizer, but there was no contest as Symon is MILES better than Garces. Then again, so is just about everyone, including the ones who have since retired and Iron Chef Kobe from the original Japanese version (he competed the fewest times of chefs there longer than a season).
    Ellen and Florimel like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Since it's part of Food Network, I'd like to say something about the Iron Chef tournament of champions.

I felt it was rigged for Symon to win.

Now, I think he's a brilliant cook, but if they truly wanted the best of the best, Morimoto should've won over Garces. They choose a secret ingredient that would favor Garces and it showed.

Especially since Morimoto has had to compete with ingredients that favor and don't favor his original Japanese boundaries in the Japanese version of the show. I think he was the one with the infamous overly smoked asparagus in that show's challenges.

Pretzels as the tournament finals secret ingredient was a great equalizer, but there was no contest as Symon is MILES better than Garces. Then again, so is just about everyone, including the ones who have since retired and Iron Chef Kobe from the original Japanese version (he competed the fewest times of chefs there longer than a season).
    I saw only the first and last episodes, so missed the Morimoto challenge. But I was surprised to see Garces in the finale. Did you see Garces's expression when Dontatella Arpaia said something like it would be a hard competition to judge because Symon's flavors were so much better but Garces had an edge in creativity?

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    IRON CHEF

Chiarello (sp) challenged Zakaria to a Grudge Match. Michael came in third the season Jeffrey won Next Iron Chef. The secret ingredient was Scotch Whiskey drawn from different regions of Scotland. The judges were Neal Patrick Harris and his partner, David (who is a chef) and Arapello (sp?). The Chairman's mid-challenge surprise was the hottest pepper on the planet.

This whole episode was absolutely hilarious. Michael and Jeffrey shared a bottle of champagne and tippled Scotch while cooking. Jeffrey made sure Alton had his share of the alcohol and Judge David stated his intention was to leave the table drunk....
    I finally saw this episode (I had been looking for it On Demand ever since reading your post, but until recently, the episodes were only identified by a number and I couldn't find it). It was so much fun - I was smiling the whole way through.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I enjoyed the Iron Chef champions contests, but I agree that it seemed to favor Symon all the way through.

I do have a question...what happened to Kat Cora? In the recent challenges her photo hasn't been shown at the beginning of the show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I enjoyed the Iron Chef champions contests, but I agree that it seemed to favor Symon all the way through.

I do have a question...what happened to Kat Cora? In the recent challenges her photo hasn't been shown at the beginning of the show.
    I think she (as have Wolfgang Puck and Mario Batali) left the show.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I never watch the shows that feature Garces or Forgione as the Iron Chef. The other current chefs are fine. Garces should never have beaten Morimoto.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Kat last time I checked had become pregnant and left the competition to have the child. I would presume motherhood has limited the amount of time she has to work on the show.

It would also explain why it felt the last "Next Iron Chef" was strongly leaning toward a female Iron Chef.

On a personal note, I kinda felt Batali was a bit of the Ishinabe of the Japan one - did overall rather well and decided to quit on a high note.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I saw only the first and last episodes, so missed the Morimoto challenge. But I was surprised to see Garces in the finale. Did you see Garces's expression when Dontatella Arpaia said something like it would be a hard competition to judge because Symon's flavors were so much better but Garces had an edge in creativity?
    Doesn't surprise me - creativity also tend to be the lower scoring factor of the lot. Plus, it was no contest when they had a 14-9 (or 13-9) balance in the 20 minute challenge. But even I would've given it to Symon in all three areas there unless he pulled an Iron Chef disaster and burned/oversmoked it.

In fact, it was the 20 minute score that screamed to me that it should've been a Morimoto-Symon finale. Like I said, I like Symon, but he really didn't have a challenge for the championship. I maintain that Garces is still the weakest of the ICs still there.

Now the Kenichi/Sakai head to head in the final episodes of the Japanese Iron Chef? - that was AMAZING, and so close it wasn't even funny. Not only were the four chefs paired in the semis have similar leanings - going by specialty cuisine then name - (French Sakai/Italian Kobe) and then (Japanese Morimoto/Chinese Kenichi), making the semis equal footing, they also had fair and equal curveballs on the secret ingredient. It was nice too the two longest running chefs of that series (Chen through the whole series run/Sakai season 2 end of run) were the finalists.

I loved Kenichi and Sakai; their plating was an art form. I think my favorite of the Japan iron chefs was Michiba, whom Morimoto replaced after he retired at 65.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread