+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 98 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: Food Network

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I'm sad. I like watching Faulkner cook. There is now a curse in place as noted throughout the show by Alex. I felt so bad for Elizabeth walking away in a state of numb shock.
    I didn't feel too bad for her as she got to choose who she competed against - and she chose someone who had done consistently well. Marcel and Mehta have been more inconsistent - the defensive play would have been to send one of those to the bottom two. She bet that she wouldn't be in the bottom and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm bummed that Elizabeth went home--and I wasn't exactly moved by the fact that two of the judges were upset about it either, since they elected to eliminate her.....
    I think the judges also would have been upset to see Appleman leave. A top competitor was going home last night no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    ...Does Alton Brown have a vote at the judges table? It seemed like Donatella & the other chef liked Chef Faulkner's dish more than Chef Applebaum's dish, only the Iron Chef thought her use of saffron was hideous. If that was the case, then she should have had more votes and remained in the competition.
    My recollection is that Simon Majumdar was the first to mention the overuse of saffron and was the one who said it rendered it nearly inedible, and that Zakarian thought there was too much saffron, but not to the extent Majumbar did.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFaninNJ View Post
    ... I haven't read the other posts regarding this season, so I don't know if the following has been mentioned before..., but I'm not comfortable with Iron Chef Zekarian being one of the judges, when one of his sous chefs (Guarnaschelli) is a contestant. Although I wanted there to be a replacement female Iron Chef, at this point I'm rooting for Marcel.
    I complained about this when the season started, and complained last year when Michael Symon was a judge. Last year, most of us figured Food Network wanted a female IC and were sure the fix was in for that, and were surprised when Zakarian won. I think the judges are all trying to be fair - it's just hard not to let personal prejudices creep in.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

The thing about Faulkner is that she is not graceful in losing. I remember her from a few years back, when she competed on a gingerbread house contest on one of those food challenges. She made a ridiculous and ugly cave and then when the judges didn't like it, she just kept saying how they didn't "get it". To me, she continues to have that attitude. Instead of taking the judges notes and working on it, she always acts like they are wrong and completely ignores the feedback that she is getting. In a competition where you need to please the judges in order to win, it would be wise to understand what they like and don't like. Anyway, I've never been a fan because of the ugliness that seems to pop out of her.

I'm rooting for Frietag or Marcel. I would hate to see Alex win because I agree that it doesn't seem right that Zakarian is judging her. He loves her!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    The thing about Faulkner is that she is not graceful in losing. I remember her from a few years back, when she competed on a gingerbread house contest on one of those food challenges. She made a ridiculous and ugly cave and then when the judges didn't like it, she just kept saying how they didn't "get it".
    I remember that! I think she was saying "edgy," but it was just ugly. Even then, I usually liked her work, but she was just way off the mark on that one.

To me, she continues to have that attitude. Instead of taking the judges notes and working on it, she always acts like they are wrong and completely ignores the feedback that she is getting. In a competition where you need to please the judges in order to win, it would be wise to understand what they like and don't like. Anyway, I've never been a fan because of the ugliness that seems to pop out of her.
    I guess I could see her getting into a fist-fight with Jeffrey Steingartner. It wouldn't be pretty.

I'm rooting for Frietag or Marcel. I would hate to see Alex win because I agree that it doesn't seem right that Zakarian is judging her. He loves her!
    At this point I'm rooting for Freitag. (She'll probably be the next one sent home.)
    maude~flanders likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Interesting about the gingerbread cave loss.

I didn't know much about Faulkner until last season's show. I started off liking her and ended up not liking her much, but I'm not sure why. I went into last season disliking Alex and grew to like her.

I went into this season rooting for Alex and Appleman. Now I dislike Appleman. And I don't like Mehta. I like Amanda - but she sure is quiet - it makes her recede a little. I don't necessarily want an IC who's as loud as Michael Symon, but I'd like one with little more presence than Amanda currently has. I wouldn't mind if she won though - I'd look forward to seeing her come out of her shell a bit. I haven't been paying much attention to Marcel - I didn't figure he'd last this long. I'm going to have to start watching him more carefully. I still like Alex. I'm still rooting for her. I said from the start that I didn't think Zakarian should be judging her (or Faulkner*), but that's not Alex's fault. I would think that Zakarian would be positive for Alex, but you never know - as it gets towards the end, there may be jealousy issues that come into play - sometimes mentors don't like to see their mentees rise to their level.

*Faulkner's leaving early confirms that Zakarian was the right choice last season.
    maude~flanders likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    ...I guess I could see her getting into a fist-fight with Jeffrey Steingartner...
    Oops *Steingarten
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Very surprised at Faulkner's exit. However, she wasn't my favorite and I honestly didn't want her to win. It seems to me that Donatella was the judge most affected by having to dismiss Elizabeth and it showed during judging when she insistsed she didn't taste any anchovies in Appleman's dish. I'm sure many of the participants, both judges and contestants, are friends in real life. It must be rough to judge especially when it comes down to the final five or six.

I want either Alex or the other woman (can't think of her name) to win this thing sooooooo much. I think they both are deserving of the title!

Chef Maeda is beyond weird, as he was during his first season on the show, only he's gotten worse!

The only chefs I don't want to win are Maeda or Appleman!
    Florimel and Shoepie like this.

Not a fan of Marcel. I remember him in an unkind way during his seasons on Top Chef. I recall he was a bit of a sneak.
    I am fine with either Chef Amamda or Chef Alex. While I don't have a problem with Geoffrey being a judge given his relationship to Chef Alex. He still only has 1 vote & there are 3 judges. He also did Chopped with Chef Amanda.
    Florimel likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I didn't exactly like Marcel but I rooted for him after the juvenile stunt Elan (? not sure on the name) and the other guy pulled on him. Don't remember specifics and I'm sure Marcel's own behavior contributed but the haircutting thing was way out of line. That said, I am also surprised he's still in this - he has had some questionable dishes but nice to see a couple really good ones, including this latest that won. I'm fairly neutral on the contestants left other than Chef Mehta. I did not care for him before and my impression hasn't really changed. He does cook up some great dishes, at times.

FORT Fogey

I am rooting for Alex and Amanda. I didn't like Alex on Chopped and it is good to see she is not that nasty, sour person! I really like her now. Either of them winning will work for me.

I have come to like Marcel but he cannot win. He is still too young and green.
    Florimel likes this.

Kip

Looking forward to tonights NIC.

Earlier today I realized I hadn't seen Justin (the last winner of Next Food Network Star) with a new program. Doing a search, I found that Alton Brown says it's still in development and will air in 2013 (obviously - it's so late in the year now). Also, it apparently might not be a straight cooking show.

I think it's a mistake to wait so long. Right after the contest, there's usually a lot of excitement. When the new show is aired shortly after the contest ends, I have always watched. There have been a couple of Next Stars (both Food Network and HGTV) shows I've missed because by the time they aired, I wasn't looking for them. They came and went before I ever saw them.

+ Reply to Thread