+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 96 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

I'm watching. My favorite is Elizabeth Falkner. Again!
    sparklete likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I'm watching. I liked Alex and Elizabeth from the first time I watched - they are the two I recognize. But, I swear...if I hear the word, "redemption" one more time...
    Ellen and libgirl2 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I like Alex and Elizabeth too..... I forgot it was on until it was mostly over.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Any bets on a female winning since there are no female Iron Chefs any more?
    There's no place like home!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I thought the fix was in last time for a female to win - and was wrong - so no predictions this time.

I think there should be at least one female Iron Chef. But if that's what they want, I wish they'd just have a competition among female chefs for the spot. I'd really hate to think that they'd invite male chefs to compete when they don't have a shot at winning.

When it gets down to the final 3, I'd like to see blind judging. Maybe the judges could do a blind taste test first and rate the dishes, then call the contestants in, identify who made what, and let the judges question them about their choices. Some of the judges have a history with some of the contestants, and even though I'm sure all of the judges are trying to be fair, it's hard to not let past experiences (whether good or bad) factor into one's decision.
    captain, Hyper and TripleGemini like this.

We'll never see blind judging because the Food Network powers that be decide the outcome they want from the beginning and make sure they get it.

That said, I would like to see Alex move up from sous chef to iron chef. Anne Burrell started as an Iron Chef sous chef. I'm one of the few who did not like Eiizabeth Falkner the first time around, and I still don't. She can cook, but something about her personality bothers me and I would not watch her as an Iron Chef. I am, so far, liking Nate Appleman this time around.
    Kip likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    When it gets down to the final 3, I'd like to see blind judging. Maybe the judges could do a blind taste test first and rate the dishes, then call the contestants in, identify who made what, and let the judges question them about their choices.
    I believe they do the blind taste testing on Top Chef Masters and that's one of the parts I like during their quickfire segments of the competition. The guest doesn't know who cooked what until after they taste and critique everything.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Hubby and I were talking about the same thing. Regardless, as with last time we want Elizabeth Falkner to win mainly because of her "regular cooking" PLUS pastry chef/baking expertise. She's the total package.
    And I love her personality.
    Alex, on the other hand, rubs me the wrong way. The less I see of her, the better.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Still can't stand Appleman, and that Mehta guy seems to be a bit of a jerk too. My favorites are Elizabeth, because I like her confident but not cocky personality and love the fact she's actually a pastry chef that can still rock non-dessert food, then Alex and Amanda. The rest are okay, but I'm rooting for one of those ladies, especially Elizabeth.

I'm annoyed at seeing Geoffrey Zakarian as a judge, because I still can't get over the fact that he somehow won over Elizabeth. I remember being supremely annoyed at his constantly disregarding the judges' advice and his lack of originality (such as making a souffle in the fight-for-you-life challenge right ater Elizabeth had won the challenge before it with a souffle), still can't understand how he got rewarded for all that and won. Honestly, I have the same problem with him as I had with Batali and still have with Garces and Forgionne. He's just boring to watch in Iron Chef. Heck, I have more fun watching Alex as his sous chef than him as the Iron Chef.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I don't think Zakarian should be a judge either (just as last season I didn't think Michael Simon should judge. Zakarian and Guaranashelli have been co-judges on Chopped for years, Guarnaschelli served as his sous chef on IC, etc. It would be only human for Zakarian to favor Guarnashelli. Zakarian might not want Faulkner to make it through to the finals this time because an early departure would further validate his win. I'm not saying Zakarian is thinking that way, but it would be hard to not let feelings factor in. (At the moment, I'd rather see Guarnaschelli win than Falkner, so Zakarian as a judge might give her an edge - but it just isn't fair.Though as Florimel says, the FN often seems to have favorites and seems to push the outcome that way.)

I never made it to Citizen Cake (Faulkner's resttaurant) before it closed, but the people I know who went, weren't impressed with anything but the desserts.

+ Reply to Thread