+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 98 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: Food Network

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Food Network

Graham Kerr is still 'with us'. He celebrated his 78th birthday at the end of January. He was actually on the Rachel Ray show last year.

I would like to see Eat Dessert First (Anne Thornton) and Alex's Day Off (Alex Guarnaschelli) come back with new episodes.
    jadewarlock likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

"To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Oh, come on, what a load of dung! I understand being worried about similarities, but seriously, finding extremely unique recipes these days is not easy. A lot of recipes I see in cooking shows can be seen done by others in other cooking shows. It happens!

Man, seriously, with the exception of Cupcake Wars, Food Network seems to hate having shows about desserts. Ugh, freaking idiots!
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Graham Kerr is still 'with us'. He celebrated his 78th birthday at the end of January. He was actually on the Rachel Ray show last year.

I would like to see Eat Dessert First (Anne Thornton) and Alex's Day Off (Alex Guarnaschelli) come back with new episodes.
    Thanks, been a while since I've seen the show or read up on him, so it's good to know that he's now 78. I just enjoyed his humor on the "Galloping Gourmet" and then in recent years with shows on PBS (one of the few times I do like the special programing they do for their fundraisers - his shows tend to be on in the afternoon over the newsgroup debates).

I like the idea with "Eat Dessert First" - we don't have many dessert shows that are NOT competition ones on that station, and there are some desserts that I'd like to see if I can make.

Thrilled to see Chef Madison on ICA last night! This guy should be an Iron Chef!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I thought this was ridiculous as well, but it doesn't surprise me that Martha Stewart had her hand in it. There are only so many variations you can come up with when you are cooking. You can't randomly continue to add eggs or sticks of butter when making a cake just so your recipe is different than the one before it.
    Shoepie likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    I thought this was ridiculous as well, but it doesn't surprise me that Martha Stewart had her hand in it. There are only so many variations you can come up with when you are cooking. You can't randomly continue to add eggs or sticks of butter when making a cake just so your recipe is different than the one before it.
    I agree. I use epicurious.com and finecooking.com often, to find recipes. Take shrimp bisque, for example. The recipes vary slightly but all have the exact same basic soup base. Some add Pernod (my favorite one), some use rice as a thickner, some don't but really they are all so similar that plagiarism could be claimed by anyone.

German chocolate cake (link) is pretty standard. If you veer from the basic cake and frosting you end up with another kind of confection. It is a known and very specific cake.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Anybody watching Next Iron Chef: Redemption? Contestants are:
    • Nate Appleman, Amanda Freitag, Eric Greenspan and Jehangir Mehta from The Next Iron Chef Season Two
    • Elizabeth Falkner, Alex Guarnaschelli and Spike Mendelsohn from the cast of The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs
    • First-time Next Iron Chef competitors Tim Love and Marcel Vigneron
    • Winner of a Web-exclusive competition: Duskie Estes

In the first challenge, each chef was given the ingredient that did her or him in the first time around. I felt so sorry for Eric Greenspan getting grasshoppers again (but he made two dishes with them and the judges loved them both). The challenge took place on a beach and the contestants had to build a fire in a fire pit to cook - the theme of this challenge was resourcefulness. I hate gimmicks like that - i want to see who can make the best dish, not who's good at starting and tending a fire.

Judges are: Geoffrey Zakharian, Donatella Arpaia, and Simon Majundar.

Yes, I watched it. I really enjoy watching Alex, whom I find very entertaining. She's my favorite at the moment.

What I'm really waiting for is for one of them to name a dish "Wo Fat something or other." By now everyone knows that the Chairman is Mark Dacascos who plays that character of Hawaii Five-0. That would really tickle my funny bone.
    captain likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post

What I'm really waiting for is for one of them to name a dish "Wo Fat something or other." By now everyone knows that the Chairman is Mark Dacascos who plays that character of Hawaii Five-0. That would really tickle my funny bone.
    LOL - that would be cool.

I like Alex too. I started last season not caring for her but grew to like her and appreciate her. i'm liking Nate too.

I was glad to see Tim Love exit first. He could have done so much more with that kale salad. His attitude really stunk, from cooking a steak for himself to eat in the resourcefulness challenge, to the "up yours" gesture of adding kale to his cook-off dish. I got the impression during the challenge that he has a high fear of failure and didn't go all out so that if the judges didn't like his dish, he could tell himself it was because they weren't judging his best.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread