+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 96 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

I hope they bring back some of the NIC contestants to battle the current Iron Chefs :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I think the quote (I don't remember who said it) "Chef Zakarian is at his prime (pinnacle) and Chef Faulkner is a rising star," is how they based their decision. They chose experience since they were comparing apples and oranges between the two.

It was Michael Symon that made that comment about Zakarian and Falkner, and I think he was right on the money with that analogy. I was so happy that these two where in the finals, and I would have been happy if Chef Chiarello would have been in the final too. Undeniably all three were able to handle the stress, unlike many others, but that is a huge determining factor. Alex Guarnaschelli was a mess this season, as was Conora in last season. I think Falkner is an amazing chef with so much creativity and potential but her career in savory isn't as established as Zakarians.. at this point. I think if she continues on the path she's on, with more experience in savory, she will be unstoppable. Zakarian was more consistent and his technique is near perfection. Given the title of the show, "Super Chefs", I think they're looking for someone that can hit the ground with both feet running, and Zakarian at this point is a better fit. It seems that ICA likes chefs with diversity and having studied abroad, Zakarian has worked and studeid in other countries, starting out as a sous chef in pastry, I don't believe Falkner has. I'm happy Zakarian won, I think he worked for it and deserved it. My heart goes out to Falkner too, I think she did an amazing job, was well received, and hopefully we'll be seeing more of her.
    Arielflies likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I think the quote (I don't remember who said it) "Chef Zakarian is at his prime (pinnacle) and Chef Faulkner is a rising star," is how they based their decision. They chose experience since they were comparing apples and oranges between the two.
    Earlier in the competition, the judges were debating the merits of two dishes (I forget whose) - one had better flavors, the other more creative - and Symon said taste is what an iron chef wins on.

libgirl2 - I wouldn't at all mind getting rid of Garces and Forgione. Neither ever resonated with me for some reason. I rarely watch when they're on. At the moment, I don't really like Faulkner, though it may be because I was manipulated by the editing.

I mostly watch when Flay, Simon, and Cora are on because I like their banter with Kevin and Alton. Without a little lightness and liveliness, the show drags for me. I don't watch this show to learn to cook - I can recall only one thing I've ever made because of watching the IC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Earlier in the competition, the judges were debating the merits of two dishes (I forget whose) - one had better flavors, the other more creative - and Symon said taste is what an iron chef wins on.

libgirl2 - I wouldn't at all mind getting rid of Garces and Forgione. Neither ever resonated with me for some reason. I rarely watch when they're on. At the moment, I don't really like Faulkner, though it may be because I was manipulated by the editing.

I mostly watch when Flay, Simon, and Cora are on because I like their banter with Kevin and Alton. Without a little lightness and liveliness, the show drags for me. I don't watch this show to learn to cook - I can recall only one thing I've ever made because of watching the IC.
    I agree - they along with Morimoto when he's not super super focused are quite enjoyable to watch because they do talk with the hosts and others as they cook. Morimoto does sometimes get a little too quiet but I think that's because he was in the original Japanese "Iron Chef" and all of them except for Sakai and Morimoto tended to be very serious. (Sakai I felt was a bit serious, but he also had a charm and humor that resonates even now when he attends some of the American versions).

Yeah, the last two Next Iron Chefs prior to Zankarian I will say are boring. I don't bother watching them and it speaks volumes when most of the time you see Flay, Cora, Symon or Morimoto be chosen. Both of them are honestly the American version of Kobe. (Ishinabe doesn't count because he competed quite a few times for the single season he appeared in on the Japanese version. I think his 7 or so still seem to outweigh either Graces or Forgione.

It seems every time I catch Forgione (and he rarely seems to be on), he loses.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I believe Forgione has only had three competitions since his win as IC. They always seem to have one right out of the gate of winning the title and then they are idle for a while. Forgione lost the first two, but won the last. I believe Garces lost his first battle as did Symon. I don't care much for Garces' personality, or lack of, but I do really like Forgione. He does have personality, and was bantering quite a bit in his last competition, and with the judges too. I read in an interview that he said during his time on The Next Iron Chef, he was surprised they edited him to be so quiet, because he's not, and is always joking around, so I believe that personality will come out as time goes on.

Although I wanted Garces to win at the time in his final competition, mostly because I didn't like his competitor at all, he is boring as dodo! I wouldn't be surprised if they phased him out, at least we can hope.

I thought for sure that with Cora gone they would automatically put a woman in as winner. I was happy that wasn't the only criteria, and the judges chose who they felt would be the best Iron Chef. But after watching the show prior to the final, in the previews I knew it would be Zakarian. The chairman gives it away when he steps to the side to reveal the winner, he had his back to Falkner.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

wow, jadewarlock, you're a superfan! I haven't seen any of the Japanese shows.

max - interesting about garces being more outgoing than he's portrayed. I'll have to give him another chance. Personally, I'd rather see more joking during the cooking portion. I didn't see his season of the Next Iron Chef. I did see Forgione's and was rooting for him (just goes to show that I'm not a great judge of Iron Chef talent - in Symon's season, I was rooting for Besh).

max - interesting about garces being more outgoing than he's portrayed. I'll have to give him another chance. Personally, I'd rather see more joking during the cooking portion. I didn't see his season of the Next Iron Chef. I did see Forgione's and was rooting for him (just goes to show that I'm not a great judge of Iron Chef talent - in Symon's season, I was rooting for Besh).
    Since the original show was on Food Network, I think I can talk a little bit about it.

Kip, I think if you do searches here and there, you will find episodes of the Japanese version. Hopefully you'll find some that have English dubbing though - especially since the Chairman rarely spoke English (I personally heard him speak it ONLY during an American challenge, and it was "I love New York").

BTW - the chairman in the Japanese version and the one in the American version are NOT related and are actors playing the role. This is why you hear the host of our version talk about his uncle. There was also a shortlived attempt prior to this one where Shatner was the host. This one had Batali, Flay and one other fellow (but not Morimoto).

Based on cuisine, there were two French Chefs (Ishinabe and Sakai), Three Japanese Chefs (Michiba, Nakumara, and Morimoto - the only one who has had a regular spot on both shows), one Chinese chef (Kenichi, the only one there for every season) and then Kobe, an Italian Chef. They wore pretty colorful costumes, and Morimoto's current silver grey one is similar to what he wore then (except no hat).

The chefs and the challenges were real, though some storylines between the chairman and a "rival" were a bit exaggerated I think. I recommend it, but there are some challenges you may not want to watch because of the secret ingredient being something most haven't heard of (Natto - my first one ironically. ) or foods that may gross out us because of nationality (horse meat - or at least I think I saw this once (but was ill that day), oxtail).

The ONLY other show I used to watch on Food Network that isn't on any more or is on at a really unusual time I think is "The Galloping Gourmet" simply because Graham Kerr's cooking mishaps were so funny and since he's now on a much healthier track (mostly because of his wife having a heart attack at a younger age and other things that happened between the original show and his healthier cooking shows).

max - interesting about garces being more outgoing than he's portrayed
    . I'll have to give him another chance. Personally, I'd rather see more joking during the cooking portion. I didn't see his season of the Next Iron Chef. I did see Forgione's and was rooting for him (just goes to show that I'm not a great judge of Iron Chef talent - in Symon's season, I was rooting for Besh).
    I was referring to Marc Forgione having more personality, and I was rooting for him too. Garces, although I wanted him to win, ( I can't remember the guys name he competed with, he loved flowers on his plates) He just doesn't light up the screen. I was pulling for Symon, but liked Besh too.

If you are able to get the Cooking Channel, they show the original Japanese Iron Chef.....I like watching it and enjoy the humorous aspect.
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread