+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 100 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I am willing to put .50 on Falkner winning, just to have another female, but that being said, this is a man's field and I am sure the good ol boys rule at the Food Network also. Something about her bothers me, just cannot put my finger on it. I would like to see Zakarian win, I think he has paid his dues on Food Network.
    My opinion is if they wanted a woman to win, they'd had Anne win because she's as big of a personality as they come plus she's actually been in "Iron Chef" a few times as one of the current Chef's soux chef. But, then again... she might be super successful on her own show they don't want her overtaxed doing both "IC" and it. (I know... Flay does multiples, but still...)

Out of these two, I have to admit, I want Zakarian to win, because he's been the most consistent. It's going to come down to the cooking IMHO, which is a shame because save Symon, the "NIC" winners have been pretty wallpaper paste (flat).

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I remember Elizabeth Faulkner on the Food Network Challenge for gingerbread houses (I think - but something like that). Anyway, while everyone built these cool houses (it could have even been haunted houses), she built a "cave". It was really ugly and stupid, but she said it was an abstract art piece and that the judges "just didn't get it" because they weren't cool or hip enough. She came across pretty arrogant, like a hipster who thinks they are culturally above everyone else. I didn't like her at all.

But, I have liked her more in this show and I have enjoyed watching some of the other chefs get knocked down a peg or two by having such an unknown outcast beat them. I think when Alton was talking to Geoffrey last night, he kind of nailed how their attitudes about her have been. He said that Chiarello was making Italian food because that is what he does, and Faulkner was making "Who knows what?" because they know nothing about her. That was kind of cool, in my opinion. Their little Food Network world has been thrown for a loop by the outsider!

That all said, I really hope Geoffrey wins. He has really proven himself in this competition to be worthy of the Iron Chef title. Although it has been fun watching Faulkner make waves, she just isn't there yet and will end up being like last year's winner - whose name escapes me, but I know he hasn't won a competition yet. Since Geoffrey is known and respected in the culinary world, incoming challengers will actually pick him to go up against because he is considered a master. To allow Faulkner to win is just another wasted show because all of the challengers will continue to come in and want to go against Flay and Morimoto - not some pastry chef from San Francisco.

Now I remember Falkner. I remember the episode with the gingerbread houses and thought her's was horrid. I doubt I would watch her on Iron Chef.But then I do not watch the last 2 winners of IC either. I have found them all to be boring.
    There's no place like home!

I'm not really interested in seeing either of these two as an iron chef, but if pressed, I'd choose Zakarian over Faulkner. I've found him a little arrogant on the other shows he's appeared in, but I do agree his dishes are mostly very appealing. I did not know Faulkner before this show and I haven't liked her since the first episode. Something about her just irritates me; I definitely would not watch her.

The only current iron chefs I enjoy watching now are Symon and Morimoto. I did enjoy Cat Cora, but I think she's gone, and there is just too much Bobby Flay on Food Network for me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    The only current iron chefs I enjoy watching now are Symon and Morimoto.
    I enjoy watching them as well.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

My favorite is Symon. I am glad Anne didn't win I personally can't stand to watch her. She is a big phoney to me.
    maude~flanders likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I'm personally rooting for Elizabeth. She's been my favorite since before the show even began. I find her to have a bit more versatility, to be honest, and I'd just be tickled pink to have a pastry chef become Iron Chef. I'd totally look forward to battles in which the secret ingredient would play well with her pastry expertise. That and Geoffrey's "I'm gonna do what I want and I don't care" attitude has really bugged me since the beginning.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I'm personally rooting for Elizabeth. She's been my favorite since before the show even began. I find her to have a bit more versatility, to be honest, and I'd just be tickled pink to have a pastry chef become Iron Chef. I'd totally look forward to battles in which the secret ingredient would play well with her pastry expertise. That and Geoffrey's "I'm gonna do what I want and I don't care" attitude has really bugged me since the beginning.
    ITA. The "just a pastry chef" attitude pisses me off. In my experience, baking requires a LOT of expertise and discipline.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    ITA. The "just a pastry chef" attitude pisses me off. In my experience, baking requires a LOT of expertise and discipline.
    I find the "just a pastry chef" particularly irritating, for a couple of reasons. First, a lot of women are pastry chefs, and it seems like a convenient way for the old boy chef network to diminish what they do. Second, if baking/pastry/desserts are all so bloody easy, why do so many chefs on competition shows freak out over the idea of making dessert? It happens on Chopped, it happens on Top Chef, and it's happened on this show too. Yet I've never heard a pastry chef complain about having to make an entree.

I remember such consternation on a Top Chef episode when the quick fire involved making a pie. Good grief, everybody and their grandmothers can make a pie. What is their problem?
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I find the "just a pastry chef" particularly irritating, for a couple of reasons. First, a lot of women are pastry chefs, and it seems like a convenient way for the old boy chef network to diminish what they do. Second, if baking/pastry/desserts are all so bloody easy, why do so many chefs on competition shows freak out over the idea of making dessert? It happens on Chopped, it happens on Top Chef, and it's happened on this show too. Yet I've never heard a pastry chef complain about having to make an entree.
    EXACTLY!!!
    I would look forward to watching this "pastry chef from San Francisco" in IC competitions. I love her personality; she's feisty and original — after all, San Francisco is cutting edge in the culinary world. And her baking expertise would definitely give her an advantage in competitions. ICA would be lucky to have her.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread