+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 98 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090 ... LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2671712;
    I love this guy [Alton Brown], there's just something so adorable about him, not to mention witty and creative.
    . . . and kind of sexy, too, in a strange, can't-put-my-finger-on-why sort of way.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2673527;
    . . . and kind of sexy, too, in a strange, can't-put-my-finger-on-why sort of way.
    He takes no prisoners, makes no excuses, knows how to draw you in...

....and he's danged SMART!!!

Other than than, he's a dork....

I think he's the bestest of all of the Food Netties...

;o))
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

I liked him a lot on "The Next Iron Chef" (even if he does pronounce "the" as "thee"). But I can barely watch "Good Eats." The high-schoolish skits make me cringe and the weird camera angles are just a distraction. (Yes, he has a background in filmmaking, but he's no Spielberg.) So I fast-forward through the dumb stuff and just watch the straightforward instruction. His knowledge of food science is really helpful. I followed his advice on making chewy cookies (melt the butter!) and it they were fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by PK...;2675578;
    ....and he's danged SMART!!!
    Well, they (whoever "they" are) say that the brain is the biggest sex organ . . .

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by candor;2676755;
    I liked him a lot on "The Next Iron Chef" (even if he does pronounce "the" as "thee"). But I can barely watch "Good Eats." The high-schoolish skits make me cringe and the weird camera angles are just a distraction. (Yes, he has a background in filmmaking, but he's no Spielberg.) So I fast-forward through the dumb stuff and just watch the straightforward instruction. His knowledge of food science is really helpful. I followed his advice on making chewy cookies (melt the butter!) and it they were fantastic.
    I have to agree with you he is quite annoying on Good Eats but his tips are good... He's good on iron chef tho...

Your "annoying" is someone else's "adorable." (Okay, I'm stretching it!) His recipe for peach-vanilla ice cream makes up for any and all of his corny-ness!

I quite enjoy Good Eats, myself, and one of the reasons is the corny factor Alton brings to it. He's found a way to take the science of cooking and make it not boring. I can't even count how many people I know, including an entire 5th grade class of students at my friend's son's school who get tapes of it and watch once per week. When kids and adults alike learn something about the science of food and cooking and it's a fun time, then you know it's a great show.

Here's hoping Good Eats has many Good Seasons ahead of it.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

Alton is not one of my favorites, but I will watch him.

New show: The Ultimate Recipe Showdown

Did anyone catch this new show last night (Sun., Feb. 17): "The Ultimate Recipe Showdown"? It's hosted by Guy Fieri and Mark Summer.

It's worth watching, though, for about 15 minutes for the laughter -- as in "so lame it's funny" laughter.

In the center are three competing home cooks, being about as boring as they can be -- just preparing a dish in the studio kitchen like you or I would at home. Then there's the play-by-play commentary by Fieri and Summer. This part is the funniest, because they hype it up as though they're providing play-by-play on the Super Bowl or NBA finals -- I imagine in an attempt to keep the viewers awake.

Then they have the backstage interviews in which the contestant expresses fervent hope that the judges won't puke.

The announcement of the winner, though, has to be the most annoying: The lighting, music, and dramatic pauses are reminiscent of the half-wit game shows like Millionaire, Deal or No Deal and Moment of Truth. And it's easy to guess the winner right when the recipes are announced prior to the competition, as the winning dish will find its way onto a TGIF menu. So if you want to make some easy money (not that I'm advocating gambling), bet on the dish that's closest to a half-step above Denny's.

I hope Food Network didn't tape too many episodes of this stinker!

FORT Fogey

I enjoyed "Ultimate Recipe Showdown." The foods that were prepared last night all looked very good. I was hoping though, of the final three, that the Chicken Drumettes with BBQ sauce would win.

+ Reply to Thread